DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I really don't see why anyone goes gaga over Road Warrior.  I actually prefer the simplicity of the first Mad Max to that.  It doesn't feel like it has any heart that isn't almost entirely lifted from Shane - I mean, granted, I love two movies from the last 5-6 years that are blatant remakes of that, but Road Warrior felt even less original.

19 hours ago, Octopus said:

Oh, I don’t mean that I think the black and white version would improve or hurt it. The stills looks striking and would be a reason to revisit the film while creating a new experience. 

Saw it in black and white in a theatre and I thought it made the movie worse. At best it adds nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), it's one of the only 3D films worth seeing that way joining Dredd (2012), Gravity (2013) and Doctor Strange (2016). I certainly don't rate it as highly as the majority do though hence why it didn't make my list.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:43 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

driceempire

6) DRIVE (2011)

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

787 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley (#5), Control (#7), Hobo Joe (#10), RIPPA, Jae, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Broken Lamp, Octopus, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92/79%) : METACRITIC (78/8.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #169 on GOAT

I did not think this would still be so high, which is good 'cuz I love it. 

Stunned that 'Neon Demon' did not make the list. It's got everything this board loves: crazy cinematography, super dark storyline, and Keanu Reeves.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

sl-herfinal

5) HER (2013)

Director: Spike Jonze

854 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe (#4), Bill S Preston (#8), The Z (#10), Hobo Joe (#10), Jae, BP, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95/82%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #94 on GOAT

Even though the critical tide of this one seems to have turned somewhat, I still LOVE it.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, RIPPA said:

4) PARASITE (Gisaengchung) (2019)

Director: Bong Joon-Ho

944 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP, Bill S Preston, Control (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA (#4), Broken Lamp (#7), Andy in Kansas, Natural, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99/90%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

It was at this point that I thought there was a real possibility that the entire Top 5 would be made up of movies that did not receive a single #1 vote.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

grand_budapest_hotel_ver2_xlg

3) THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2014)

Director: Wes Anderson

986 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston & Control (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS (#3), EVA (#7), Sublime (#8), Jae, BP, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Hobo Joe, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/86%) : METACRITIC (88/8.5)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #325 on GOAT (The reason for so "low" at that point was only KLOS and Sublime voted for it then. Also two people said they forgot to vote for it then.)

I thought this one was all right, but not one of my absolute favourites. I think the opening introduction with the guy getting attacked by his kid carrying a water gun is , by far, my favourite part.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:52 PM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Wait...248 films...10 years of cinema and Hunt for the Wilderpeople didn't find its way on the list? That is, honestly, staggering considering some of the shite voted for in the top 20 never mind the top 248. Fury Road was probably always going to win and rightfully so but, yeah, Wilderpeople was pretty much a certain top 10 for me.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:00 PM, jaedmc said:

I'll admit it.

I have no idea what Wilderpeople movie you're talking about. You bringing it up is the first I've ever heard of it ever.

I'm surprised someone would find it surprising that 'Wilderpeople' is not on the list. There's a bit of a misconception about this board being gag for Taika Waititi but when you look at the movies that get lauded of his, they're all pretty big movies: Thor (Marvel movie), Jojo Rabbit (Oscar nominee/winner) and What We Do in the Shadows (cult comedy but also well-known enough that it spawned an Emmy-nominated comedy series on FX). But, it's not like people are bigging up 'Boy' or 'Eagle vs Shark' (the former being also eligible for this decade poll) so the Taika faboard stuff always seemed a little overblown to me. I had 'Wilderpeople' on my preliminary list but ended up bumping it off the list towards the end (Which actually surprised me this morning when I looked at my list).

• Like 1

I think if this was 10(ish) years ago - when the Movie Club was going strong - a movie like Wilderpeople probably would have done better

But there are a lot of factors like people leaving the board, people being put in jail, or sadly passing away change the voting demographics 

And those of us who are still active are aging and have changing tastes

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, RIPPA said:

To sorta answer something from the prediction thread: the most movies VOTED for by a single director was 6. Three (3) other directors had 5 movies VOTED for. Again, to be clear - that is just had a movie receive at a minimum an honorable mention. I how no idea what the final tally will be when the list is revealed.

I will answer this here.

The Director with 6 was Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Enemy, Incendies, Prisoners, Sicario)

The Fives were:

• Martin Scorsese (Shutter Island, Hugo, Silence, The Irishman, Wolf of Wall Street)
  • Steven Soderbergh (Behind the Candelabra, Logan Lucky, Contagion, Magic Mike, Side Effects)
  • Steven Spielberg (Lincoln, Ready Player One, BFG, Tintin, War Horse)

11 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

And yet  Koreeda Hirokazu only showed up once. Hang your heads in shame.

Again - that was VOTED for movies not who had them appearing on the list

Koreeda had 4 movies voted for and you didn’t vote for one of them so maybe that finger should be pointed inward

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• RIPPA locked this topic