DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

One bit of break down and then I have to stop fucking staring at this for the night

Didn't vote for either #1 or #2 - Bill S Preston, KLOS

Didn't vote for Fury Road - Natural, MavsFan

Didn't vote for Spider-verse - Caley, New Blood, Execproducer

Voted for all 10 movies in the Top 10 - Andy in Kansas, Hobo Joe

Voted for 9 - Octopus (missing Gone Girl), EVA (missing Birdman)

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

spiderverse

2) SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)

Director: Bob Persichetti/Peter Ramsey/Rodney Rothman

1056 Points (14 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural & JL Sigman (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA (#3), The Z (#8), Hobo Joe (#9), Broken Lamp (#10), Jae, MavsFan, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, Control, BP

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/93%) : METACRITIC (87/8.8)

I need to find the Miles and SpiderGwen dap from the end of the movie for me and @TheNatural

Edited by JLSigman
  • Thanks 1

Wait...248 films...10 years of cinema and Hunt for the Wilderpeople didn't find its way on the list? That is, honestly, staggering considering some of the shite voted for in the top 20 never mind the top 248. Fury Road was probably always going to win and rightfully so but, yeah, Wilderpeople was pretty much a certain top 10 for me.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

On 10/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, RIPPA said:

Oh and I can say this now since it came up again today and I don't want to forget

Y'all clearly don't remember anything from the GOAT list since my number tease was...

Number of movies in the Top 20 from each year

(in the GOAT it was Number of movies from each decade)

?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Happy to see GBH si high. 

surprised Django was the highest QT movie. Id have it 4th behind Hollywood, hateful and Basterds. 

Basterds is one of those tricky 2009/2010 films where it’s easy to forget which side of the line it’s on. I found a few of those putting together my list. 

4 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Wait...248 films...10 years of cinema and Hunt for the Wilderpeople didn't find its way on the list? That is, honestly, staggering considering some of the shite voted for in the top 20 never mind the top 248. Fury Road was probably always going to win and rightfully so but, yeah, Wilderpeople was pretty much a certain top 10 for me.

I'll admit it.

I have no idea what Wilderpeople movie you're talking about. You bringing it up is the first I've ever heard of it ever.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

10) GONE GIRL (2014)

Director: David Fincher

725 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan & KLOS (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, BP, Natural, The Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/87%) : METACRITIC (79/8.2)

In Sept 2015 @Lawful Metal wrote

In Sept 2017 @Lawful Metal wrote

Gone Girl (2014) was my #37. A vote going of memory for the story told and how it was through Ben Affleck's character then Rosamund Pike's.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

8.) BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu

734 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Natural, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Octopus, Sublime, Caley, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/77%) : METACRITIC (87/8.2)

I noted before that I give bonus marks for something different, standing out from the pack. Birdman (2014) benefited from that filmed as an almost single shot, I really like Emma Stone and how Michael Keaton's character can't escape his superhero past. Michael Keaton should've won the Academy Award for Best Actor here.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

4) PARASITE (Gisaengchung) (2019)

Director: Bong Joon-Ho

944 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP, Bill S Preston, Control (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA (#4), Broken Lamp (#7), Andy in Kansas, Natural, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99/90%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

Had a mate trying to get Parasite (2019) on DVD due to the coronavirus pandemic. Going in the only thing I knew is the lavish praise given to the movie. That heightens expectations and I wasn't left disappointed. The first hour, the infiltration was my favourite thing.

Reveal hidden contents

spiderverse

2) SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)

Director: Bob Persichetti/Peter Ramsey/Rodney Rothman

1056 Points (14 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural & JL Sigman (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA (#3), The Z (#8), Hobo Joe (#9), Broken Lamp (#10), Jae, MavsFan, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, Control, BP

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/93%) : METACRITIC (87/8.8)

Reveal hidden contents

1520_Ctt_FrBDR_300dpi2-1296x1944

1) MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

Director: George Miller

1189 Points (15 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA (#2), Broken Lamp (#2), Caley (#2), New Blood (#4), BP (#4), JL Sigman (#5), EVA (#5), Andy in Kansas (#7), The Z (#7), Jae, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/85%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #80 on GOAT

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) was my only choice for #1. Watching a late night screening on release at the cinema made for one of my best experiences watching any movie there. The story that anybody can be Spider-Man, the beautiful/different animation techniques and seeing my favourite Spiders, Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen on the big silver screen. I've watched it countless time since then with my Dad and Sister and it still holds up. By far the best Spider-Man movie, itself one of the best comic book movies ever made, top five. The film deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. It should've been nominated and won Best Picture to go with it. Cheers, @JLSigman for the #1 spot.

Fin

Thank you for doing this, @RIPPA. The hard work put in by running this and thanks to all my fellow voters too.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I find the Top Ten to fit this board’s taste. A good mix of films. 

In regards to this Tarantino in this decade: I liked Hollywood more than Django, but I know a lot of people that hated Hollywood. I feel (understandably small sample size of my friends) the wider range of love to like for Django would get it more points in a project like this. Also, Hateful Eight was good but seems to get forgotten about or even is less seen.

In regards to Black Panther vs Thor: Ragnarok. I went with Ragnarok. I won’t spoil but could more in depth if discussion is interesting. I feel the tonal shift in the beginning fits to the shaping of both the main character and lends to the heart of the film, which fits it into the socio-political messaging that the MCU (likes or hated, based on your opinion) attempts to have at the core of their films. In that, it becomes a spiritual companion to Black Panther of the Euro-recognition of history to Panther’s affluent Wakanda needing to do more for the black countries/ people. I loved Black Panther but nit pick parts I feel could have been fleshed out more to make it enjoyable. Both had the MCU template down, but both managed to add a new soul. Ragnarok being silly and colorful and Black Panther being cool and relevant to its audience.

The Master is phenomenal. My favorite PTA is still There Will Be Blood, but the Master is close. The top films of the decade were so great for me that I still had it at #6, I believe.

Grand Budapest Hotel cracks me up every time I see it.

I respect Mad Max: Fury Road. It wasn’t my kind of movie, but I see the appeal. I had that at #99. It truly is a large experience and I enjoyed the imagination of it. It’s interesting to be critical of oil dependency and the lengths countries go to control it, yet still providing an automotive-fetish experience. But that action slapped! Lots of high fives. I’d be interested to see the Black and White version someday, but won’t likely rewatch anytime soon.

I really liked Parasite. I’m interested to see if we do this list again in a decade if it will hold up or if it’s placement is recency bias. That’s not a statement on the film, just curious. I’m a big fan of Drive. I’m surprised it landed where it did. I heard everyone talking about it when it came out but not much since. Comparing to Parasite, it’ll be cool to see if respected admiration lasts as long. 

Fun project! I’m excited to see the facts threads and people’s ballots. 

25 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I respect Mad Max: Fury Road. It wasn’t my kind of movie, but I see the appeal. I had that at #99. It truly is a large experience and I enjoyed the imagination of it. It’s interesting to be critical of oil dependency and the lengths countries go to control it, yet still providing an automotive-fetish experience. But that action slapped! Lots of high fives. I’d be interested to see the Black and White version someday, but won’t likely rewatch anytime soon.

May I ask why? The striking colours of the sand and the blues of the giant sky and the hues of the nighttime sequence and so many other things add so much to the experience of that one. I don't know why a black and white version of this movie exists. Ditto Parasite. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

3 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

May I ask why? The striking colours of the sand and the blues of the giant sky and the hues of the nighttime sequence and so many other things add so much to the experience of that one. I don't know why a black and white version of this movie exists. Ditto Parasite. 

Oh, I don’t mean that I think the black and white version would improve or hurt it. The stills looks striking and would be a reason to revisit the film while creating a new experience. 

• Like 2