DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

WWDITS

14) WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)

Director: Jemaine Clement/ Taika Waititi

673 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime (#3), Caley (#6), Natural (#10), Andy in Kansas, BP, Broken Lamp, Hobo Joe, EVA, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96/86%) : METACRITIC (76/7.9)

What We Do In The Shadows (2014), such a funny vampire meets werewolves mockumentary. Werewolves not swearwolves! Taika Waititi's best movie which went on to a TV version and surprised everyone as that's great as well. Movie is still king.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

inceptionbg

12) INCEPTION (2010)

Director: Christopher Nolan

677 Points (11 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA & The Z (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, JL Sigman, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, KLOS, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/91%) : METACRITIC (74/8.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #179 on The GOAT list

Inception (2010) I gave a HM to for the concept and the set pieces though I found the third act went on a tad too long.

7 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m just pleased Spider-Verse got here. It felt like it would, and it is easily the best super hero movie made this decade to me. But I was worried after the giant Marvel drop there were just too many anti-Superhero movie folks for it to break this high.

But top 10 is a pretty incredible achievement for an animated super hero movie, even if it was the best animated movie of the decade.

I think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) has a small chance at topping the poll beating what I consider the favourite, Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). The only film I think that has an outside shot of doing that is Parasite (2019). Shame you didn't submit a ballot.

4 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

#1 votes already revealed:

Reveal hidden contents
  • BP
  • EVA
  • RIPPA
  • The Z
  • Execproducer
  • Bill S Preston
  • Caley
  • New Blood
  • KLOS
  • Broken Lamp
  • Sublime
  • Hobo Joe
  • MavsFan
  • Octoups

#1 votes still in play:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Natural
  • Jae
  • JL Sigman
  • Control
  • Andy in Kansas

Hope I did that right.

Thanks for this. I was wondering which #1 voters had come and still in play.

1 hour ago, hobo joe said:
I'm gonna go ahead and try to predict positioning for the top ten, for shits and giggles

Reveal hidden contents

10. Django Unchained

9. Gone Girl

8. Birdman

7. The Grand Budapest Hotel

6. Drive

5. The Master

4. Her

3. Parasite

2. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

My attempt:

Spoiler

10. Gone Girl.

9. Birdman.

8. Drive.

7. Django Unchained.

6. The Master.

5. The Grand Budapest Hotel.

4. Her.

3. Parasite.

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I will mention this again after we are done but do me a favor and wait until Monday-ish to start revealing your ballots.

Like I have in the past - I am going to create a couple of new threads for debriefing and one of them will definitely be the place you can reveal your full ballot if you want.

I just need time to get it all done which is what I will start working on over the weekend (though I do have Monday and Tuesday off too).

It is better to not clog up the back end of this thread with that.

Did you save the ballots? Because I'm pretty sure I sent mine to you and then deleted the file off my hard drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yup I still have all ballots

Heck I’m pretty sure I still have all the ballots from everything I’ve ever run

Good stuff. I've kept every ballot I've submitted here: Best of the 2000s, Best of the 1990s redo and Greatest Movie of All Time. Likely missing one.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yup I still have all ballots

Heck I’m pretty sure I still have all the ballots from everything I’ve ever run

Good stuff. I've kept every ballot I've submitted here: Best of the 2000s, Best of the 1990s redo and Greatest Movie of All Time. Likely missing a project. Speaking of, already looking forward to your next :).

10) GONE GIRL (2014)

Director: David Fincher

725 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan & KLOS (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, BP, Natural, The Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/87%) : METACRITIC (79/8.2)

In Sept 2015 @Lawful Metal wrote

Gone Girl is a horror movie, right?

In Sept 2017 @Lawful Metal wrote

Gone Girl is a straight up horror movie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Asked and answered!

I'm amazed at how much higher this is than Social Network, especially considering other best of the decade lists that I've seen.

I hold MavsFan personally responsible for knocking Moonlight out of the top ten.

• Like 1

Spoiler
django_unchained

9) DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

728 Points (13 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, MavsFan, Broken Lamp, The Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, Octopus, KLOS, Control, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/91%) : METACRITIC (81/8.6)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Around page 3 of that thread starts the ranking of Tarantino movies - felt it was appropriate to link to it now

8.) BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) (2014)

Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu

734 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Natural, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Octopus, Sublime, Caley, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/77%) : METACRITIC (87/8.2)

• Like 1

There was a point - just because of the sheer luck in the order of the ballots as I entered them - that I think Birdman was on like the first 8 ballots and I was like "Am I going to be the only person who doesn't vote for this movie?

Gone Girl is a weird one for me, I saw it in the cinema but, legit, sitting here now, I have no idea if I can remember liking it or not. It was just a film and that was that. It was neither good, bad nor indifferent and I'm honestly amazed it's in the top 10. I'd probably have completely forgotten about it had I bothered to compile a top 100.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is another one that is not for me. Tarantino disappeared up his own arse a long time ago but I found that one especially self indulgent. Performances are unquestionably great in it but, yeah, just not for me. 

I love What We Do in the Shadows being so high because Taika is my dude but, that being said, as much as I love the film, the TV show is actually even better and I love Hunt for the Wilderpeople even more which is a film that, thus far, hasn't appeared and quite possibly won't so consider me amazed on that front.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

Spoiler
9yjwkqtz

7) THE MASTER (2012)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

774 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae & Andy in Kansas (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Octopus (#6), Bill S Preston, Broken Lamp, Hobo Joe, Caley, EVA, New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85/61%) : METACRITIC (86/7.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #213 on GOAT

Spoiler
driceempire

6) DRIVE (2011)

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

787 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley (#5), Control (#7), Hobo Joe (#10), RIPPA, Jae, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Broken Lamp, Octopus, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92/79%) : METACRITIC (78/8.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #169 on GOAT

• Like 1

Spoiler
sl-herfinal

5) HER (2013)

Director: Spike Jonze

854 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe (#4), Bill S Preston (#8), The Z (#10), Hobo Joe (#10), Jae, BP, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95/82%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #94 on GOAT

4) PARASITE (Gisaengchung) (2019)

Director: Bong Joon-Ho

944 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP, Bill S Preston, Control (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA (#4), Broken Lamp (#7), Andy in Kansas, Natural, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (99/90%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

• Like 2

Spoiler
grand_budapest_hotel_ver2_xlg

3) THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (2014)

Director: Wes Anderson

986 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston & Control (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS (#3), EVA (#7), Sublime (#8), Jae, BP, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Hobo Joe, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/86%) : METACRITIC (88/8.5)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #325 on GOAT (The reason for so "low" at that point was only KLOS and Sublime voted for it then. Also two people said they forgot to vote for it then.)

• Like 1

Okay - as per usual - I am gonna post #1 and #2 in the same post just to keep the minimal suspense going to the end.

The Top 2 films had 14 and 15 votes total (the only movies to hit that mark). They are also both the only movies to surpass 1000 points

Spoiler
spiderverse

2) SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE (2018)

Director: Bob Persichetti/Peter Ramsey/Rodney Rothman

1056 Points (14 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural & JL Sigman (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA (#3), The Z (#8), Hobo Joe (#9), Broken Lamp (#10), Jae, MavsFan, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, Control, BP

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/93%) : METACRITIC (87/8.8)

Spoiler
1520_Ctt_FrBDR_300dpi2-1296x1944

1) MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

Director: George Miller

1189 Points (15 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA (#2), Broken Lamp (#2), Caley (#2), New Blood (#4), BP (#4), JL Sigman (#5), EVA (#5), Andy in Kansas (#7), The Z (#7), Jae, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/85%) : METACRITIC (90/8.6)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #80 on GOAT

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1