DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If Jae's right about that number sequence you dropped yesterday, that'd mean our #1 didn't get a #1 vote. 

Jae was not correct

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OUATIH

15) ONCE UPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

665 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS, Control, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85/70%) : METACRITIC (83/7.5)

NOTE FROM THE RIPPA - Between the Oscars thread and the Blockbuster poll thread... yeesh is the search for this movie hard. All I will say is that if I had received ballots from all the people who called this movie "perfect" it probably would have been #1

I hate this list

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

WWDITS

14) WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)

Director: Jemaine Clement/ Taika Waititi

673 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime (#3), Caley (#6), Natural (#10), Andy in Kansas, BP, Broken Lamp, Hobo Joe, EVA, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96/86%) : METACRITIC (76/7.9)

I LOVE this list.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

inceptionbg

12) INCEPTION (2010)

Director: Christopher Nolan

677 Points (11 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA & The Z (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, JL Sigman, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, KLOS, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/91%) : METACRITIC (74/8.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #179 on The GOAT list

This was a lock for my list until I ended up with a rough 179+ movie list and I thought "You know, just because you liked it in theaters, doesn't mean you have to vote for it now." and then it was an easy out. By the same token, I don't blame anyone for loving/voting for it because it was really mind-bending and had lots of fun actors all over the place.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And now for the movie that just misses the Top 10

Reveal hidden contents

moonlight

11) MOONLIGHT (2016)

Director: Barry Jenkins

694 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP & EVA (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime (#2), Andy in Kansas (#2), Control (#4), Bill S Preston, Octopus, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98/79%) : METACRITIC (99/7.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Our last 8 vote movie (there is one 9 vote movie remaining)

I liked this movie despite having it on my list the lowest of anyone who actually voted for it.  I bought it when our last remaining video store went out of business (And then it was saved, and then it went out of business again during Covid) and intend to rewatch it.

BY THE WAY. The Phantom Thread bluray is 5 bucks on Amazon right now. So for people who want to watch it... it's cheap to get.

I enjoyed Get Out a lot, but the message didn't feel particularly deep or meaningful to me. It just felt very on the nose and silly. Again, it was a really fun time, but I wish the accolades went to US, which felt more personal and more introspective. I had a very visceral reaction to that one, because it really captured the duality inside people of color that really resonated to a my mixed race ass. I've seen plenty of "white people are creepy" movies, but I hadn't seen many that tackled the concept Us did so effectively. So that's why I went with Us over Get Out.

Speaking of liking the follow up movie better.... I'm assuming I was the only one to vote for Refn's OTHER Gossling movie. Sadness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Speaking of liking the follow up movie better.... I'm assuming I was the only one to vote for Refn's OTHER Gossling movie. Sadness.

That's something I'm 90% sure I saw in theaters and remember nothing about. I often forget it was even made. I'm kind of embarrassed. 

Where'd it end up on your ballot? 

24 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

That's something I'm 90% sure I saw in theaters and remember nothing about. I often forget it was even made. I'm kind of embarrassed. 

Where'd it end up on your ballot? 

I'll save conversation for when we start comparing all the shit we voted for that didn't make it, but I had it at 14.

Looking over my list I'm shocked at some of my shit that didn't make it, but somehow Elle did. I'm doubtful it shows up, but there's movie that features two GREAT performances, one of which is by Joaquin Phoenix, that hasn't been mentioned yet. I kinda get why, but I figured some of the arthouse folks would have sought it out and rep'd it.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:01 PM, EVA said:

I’ve literally never heard of COLD IN JULY before right this instant, and after watching the trailer, I’m wondering how that’s possible.  That looks squarely in my southern noir wheelhouse.

It's Joe Lansdale source material. Higher recs than that I don't have.

I will mention this again after we are done but do me a favor and wait until Monday-ish to start revealing your ballots.

Like I have in the past - I am going to create a couple of new threads for debriefing and one of them will definitely be the place you can reveal your full ballot if you want.

I just need time to get it all done which is what I will start working on over the weekend (though I do have Monday and Tuesday off too).

It is better to not clog up the back end of this thread with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh and I can say this now since it came up again today and I don't want to forget

Y'all clearly don't remember anything from the GOAT list since my number tease was...

Number of movies in the Top 20 from each year

(in the GOAT it was Number of movies from each decade)

I'm not going through the search again, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've only had three movies with multiple #1 votes:

• Tree of Life (3 )
  • Moonlight (2)
  • Inception (2)

And I kinda buy into @The Natural's sentiment that there'll be another multi-#1 to drop in the top ten. But with only five #1s left in play, Tree of Life is probably going to be undefeated in this category. 

I don't think I've ever met someone who's lukewarm on Tree of Life. If you're the type who's into that, you're in all the way.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

#1 votes still in play:

Hide contents
  • Natural
  • Jae
  • JL Sigman
  • Control
  • Andy in Kansas

I feel like I'm in good company. Based on tastes I can't imagine more than two of us having the same #1. I would think it would be 5 different movies. 

6 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

So this'll be eight of the top ten. What am I forgetting?

Reveal hidden contents
  • Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
  • Drive
  • Parasite
  • Django Unchained
  • The Master
  • Birdman

Spoiler

Her and Gone Girl

• Like 1

I'm gonna go ahead and try to predict positioning for the top ten, for shits and giggles

Spoiler

10. Django Unchained

9. Gone Girl

8. Birdman

7. The Grand Budapest Hotel

6. Drive

5. The Master

4. Her

3. Parasite

2. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

• Like 2