DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Spoiler
OUATIH

15) ONCE UPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

665 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS, Control, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85/70%) : METACRITIC (83/7.5)

NOTE FROM THE RIPPA - Between the Oscars thread and the Blockbuster poll thread... yeesh is the search for this movie hard. All I will say is that if I had received ballots from all the people who called this movie "perfect" it probably would have been #1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OUATIH

Director: Quentin Tarantino

665 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS, Control, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85/70%) : METACRITIC (83/7.5)

NOTE FROM THE RIPPA - Between the Oscars thread and the Blockbuster poll thread... yeesh is the search for this movie hard. All I will say is that if I had received ballots from all the people who called this movie "perfect" it probably would have been #1

Easily Tarantino's one great film from this decade. Would have been on my ballot as well.

23 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Also: One of us, one of us

Reveal hidden contents

Macaulay probably forced Keiran to watch wrestling with him growing up, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a fan (assuming that shirt was his choice and not the costume designer's)

Edited by elizium

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Macaulay probably forced Keiran to watch wrestling with him growing up, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a fan (assuming  that shirt was his choice and not the costume designers)

I have a vivid memory of him doing Leno in the 90s and talking about going as The New Age Outlaws with a buddy for Halloween. Leno tried to brag about winning the tag match at Road Wild, and Keiran said something to the effect of, “You needed your boy Kevin to come in and save you.” The crowd made an, “oooooh,” noise like he owned Leno. Just valuable real estate in my brain taken up by this shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spoiler
WWDITS

14) WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)

Director: Jemaine Clement/ Taika Waititi

673 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime (#3), Caley (#6), Natural (#10), Andy in Kansas, BP, Broken Lamp, Hobo Joe, EVA, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96/86%) : METACRITIC (76/7.9)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, elizium said:

Macaulay probably forced Keiran to watch wrestling with him growing up, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's a fan (assuming that shirt was his choice and not the costume designer's)

The screen-cap is from an appearance on James Corden's show, but it still could have been a stylist. I couldn't rightly say. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

The screen-cap is from an appearance on James Corden's show, but it still could have been a stylist. I couldn't rightly say. 

Ah, danke, I assumed it was a screengrab from Succession

Spoiler
inceptionbg

12) INCEPTION (2010)

Director: Christopher Nolan

677 Points (11 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA & The Z (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, JL Sigman, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, KLOS, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87/91%) : METACRITIC (74/8.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #179 on The GOAT list

• Like 3

And now for the movie that just misses the Top 10

Spoiler
moonlight

11) MOONLIGHT (2016)

Director: Barry Jenkins

694 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP & EVA (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime (#2), Andy in Kansas (#2), Control (#4), Bill S Preston, Octopus, Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98/79%) : METACRITIC (99/7.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Our last 8 vote movie (there is one 9 vote movie remaining)

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well, I seem to be the one person who's very surprised about this placement.

Once upon a Time in Hollywood is so far the first and hopefully only Tarantino I did not like, which is something I never expected to happen, because every other other Tarantino movie is at least a 9/10 in my book. This doesn't even feel like a Tarantino movie.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

12) INCEPTION (2010)

An absolute masterpiece! Inception being #1 on my ballot was the one thing I didn't even have to think about, a foregone conclusion.

This is not in order but the vote totals for the Top 10 (excluding any HM) are

9 - 10 - 11 - 11 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15

(For context - remember that a total of 19 ballots were submitted)

I’m just pleased Spider-Verse got here. It felt like it would, and it is easily the best super hero movie made this decade to me. But I was worried after the giant Marvel drop there were just too many anti-Superhero movie folks for it to break this high.

But top 10 is a pretty incredible achievement for an animated super hero movie, even if it was the best animated movie of the decade.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

So this'll be eight of the top ten. What am I forgetting?

Reveal hidden contents
  • Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
  • Drive
  • Parasite
  • Django Unchained
  • The Master
  • Birdman

Hunt for the Wilderpeople?

Well,

Spoiler

Definitely Her will be on there.  I'm blanking on the 10th one myself, although I had this all figured out about this time yesterday.

The pre-2015 stuff kind of smacks of people going "Eh, I had it this high on the old list, and I don't want to rewatch it, so I'll just shuffle the new stuff in with the old."