DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

25) THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013)

Director: Martin Scorsese

603 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Bill S Preston, The Z, Hobo Joe, Sublime, EVA, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (80/83%) : METACRITIC (75/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - You would be shocked this movie is so high if you read the reviews of it on this board.

Spoiler

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Haha 1

21) UNDER THE SKIN (2013)

Director: Jonathan Glazer

635 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Broken Lamp, Caley, EVA, KLOS, Control, New Blood, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85/55%) : METACRITIC (80/6.9)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Again you would be surprised this placed so high if you just went by the reviews you could easily find on the board

Liking the too 25 so far.

Honestly, I think KNIVES OUT is a fun movie that’s benefitting from recency bias. Like a lot of Rian Johnson movies, it goes down smooth, but compare it to the emotional or aesthetic reach of the films around it in the list.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I blame @odessasteps for it placing so low by preemptively trying to shame anyone who voted for it.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It was another movie hurt by the lack of a JT ballot

The amount of films my ballot would have improved is pretty staggering at this point. Under the Skin is probably another one of those. However, I'll openly admit that Holy Motors has been on my pile of shame for a very long time. I should finally render that at some point along with a lot of other things.

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

What the fuuuuuuuucj COCO?!?!?!?!

I think I just discovered my Shawshank for this list.

Inside Out popped awhile ago, right? I'm too lazy to go back and check. If so, I agree. I enjoyed Coco, but I by no means consider it to be premier PIXAR. Hell, you could see the twist coming very early in the movie, and I cringed at how obvious it was when it finally happened.  In no particular order, I'd put Inside Out, Spiderverse, Kubo, Toy Story 3, Wind Rises, and I'm guessing Kaguya if I had made the effort to watch it ahead of Coco. Solid decade for animation in hindsight, and that's without mentioning something like Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow. 

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Movie_Poster_Final

27) TOY STORY 3 (2010)

Director: Lee Unkrich

577 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: (The Z #3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Octopus, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston, Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Sublime, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/89%) : METACRITIC (92/8.9)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - #289 on the GOAT list

I gave Toy Story 3 (2010) the #31 spot on my ballot. As I said earlier about Toy Story 4, this was the one to go out on and in my head canon, it did here. That furnace scene and ending, man.

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm not sure I can ever get through the final 20ish minutes of this movie without being a sobbing mess.

Understandable.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

coco

23) COCO (2017)

Director: Lee Unkrich/Adrian Molina

621 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, New Blood, BP, Natural, Broken Lamp, Andy in Kansas, Sublime, Octopus, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/94%) : METACRITIC (81/8.3)

Watched Coco (2017). A moving film for the subject matter, life and death. The last ten minutes made me cry. Stupid Pixar. Glad we got an extra week as my ballot is better off for Coco and Zootropolis inclusion on it. #30. My highest ranked Pixar Movie of the Decade joining WALL-E (2008) for the 2000s and Toy Story (1995) for the 1990s.

Reveal hidden contents

knives_out

22) KNIVES OUT (2019)

Director: Rian Johnson

634 Points (8 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, EVA, Broken Lamp, BP, Natural, Mavs Fan, The Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97/92%) : METACRITIC (82/7.6)

Knives Out (2019) was my #18. Here's what I said about it:

Knives Out (Johnson, 2019). Really liked this mystery whodunnit? Reminded me of the live action Cluedo show in the UK back in the day. Clever tight script, THAT accent by Daniel Craig and seeing Evans play against type from what he's best known as, Captain America. I'll be voting for this.

Yeah - I think Chris Evans ended up being my actor of the decade

This, Snowpiercer, Cap.

Heck I even tossed The Losers on my ballot somewhere near the back

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) as well. Steve Rogers/Captain America is a hard part to play getting that balance right between stoicism and doing what's right. The biggest compliment I can give Chris Evans is that Spider-Man will always be THE Marvel character to me but in the MCU, Cap's my favourite and #1. I never thought I'd like him to the extent I do but credit to Chris, Kevin Feige, Joe Johnston, the Russo Brothers and Christopher Markus/Stephen McFreely.

46 minutes ago, CSC said:

Well now I'm pissed at myself for not putting in a ballot seeing the reaction to Coco being where it was, because it would have easily been a top 5 movie for me.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a gorgeous film visually, but it just doesn't hold up with some other animated stuff. Maybe that changes if I ever revisit it.

Coco was the first Pixar movie I started and couldn't finish. I just got bored about halfway in.

I don't think I can watch 3D animated movies in general any more. It's the eyes. They just keep flittering and jittering about, up down side to side. Every expression is so micromanaged for optimal "emotional authenticity". And it feels like I can see the strings being pulled at all times. It's like Disney/Nickelodeon channel acting but created by a bunch of soulless nerds on computers.

And it feels like everything is either about death or someone sacrificing themselves in the climax but living anyway. Like this is the only way we can get any emotion out of an audience, we have to pretend to kill Wreck It Ralph. Or the annoying little dude from Home. Or Anna from Frozen. Or the robot from Big Hero Six. Or shit they just straight up murdered Bing Bong. No comin' back for that guy.

Yeah. Can't do it anymore.

Couple of small teases for the Top 20 - which I will get some up of before I pass out tonight (though ideally in the next hour if work would leave me the fuck alone)

By my count there are 8 remaining #1 votes left

2 movies received 8 votes

2 movies received 9 votes

Everything else received at least 10 votes

23 Directors remaining - 3 of them appear twice

And finally - 2-1-2-1-5-1-1-4-1-2

WILD SPECULATION: I'm wondering if Rippa's number sequence is placement votes for the Top 10. Like the #1 movie of the decade was not #1 on anyone's list, it's highest placement would be 2.

• Like 1

Spoiler
phantom_thread

20) PHANTOM THREAD (2017)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

649 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Caley, EVA, Sublime, Hobo Joe,

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/71%) : METACRITIC (90/7.7)

@eliziumwrote

Went to see Phantom Thread tonight. Catty bitch Daniel Day-Lewis is everything.

Though Lesley Manville may steal the show as his sister/assistant/manager/guardian/heavy Cyril.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6665-janfeb-2018-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=720398

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Movie received one other Top 10 vote. #6 from Jae

Okay since it dropped I will now say this - and this is probably the only time I slightly spoil things

That was the last movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to drop (remember - Spiderverse doesn't count for that)

21 of the 23 movies were eligible.

12 made the list (probably one too many - I am looking at your Iron Man 3)

I would still say I more surprised at how "low" Black Panther was than Ragnarok being the highest one

• Like 1

So excited to see Phantom Thread and then Thor Ragnarok came after to ruin it. On paper, it feels like that one should be my favorite of all the MCU stuff but it just didn't vibe with me. It was just a long MCU SNL Sketch and nothing really mattered except for the rapid fire jokes. I didn't give a shit what happened neither did anyone else. At least I cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm just a big party pooper today. Ignore me.

• Like 1