DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I haven't checked the master list, but I think there's only like 5 Marvel movies left with a reasonable chance of being in the Top 30. So it's not going to be that crazy.

EDIT: Looking back the last couple of pages, it should be less than 5.

I'm coming to terms with there being more Super Hero movies making my list from this decade than I would have given myself credit (I would have guessed I'd have thrown in one, but there may have been 3-4 that really would have made the cut for me), but a lot of them are due a revisit too. Ragnarok would have made my list because a) it was an actually good Thor movie, and b) it's just as fun on rewatch.

I love THOR: RAGNAROK, but it’s hardly beyond reproach. The Dr Strange cameo, Odin’s death, and Hell’s intro are all kinda slipshod, if I’m being honest. The movie really only kicks off when Thor ends up in that other dimension, but a bunch of stuff happens before that.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I haven't checked the master list, but I think there's only like 5 Marvel movies left with a reasonable chance of being in the Top 30. So it's not going to be that crazy.

EDIT: Looking back the last couple of pages, it should be less than 5.

On a quick check, the following MCU movies have not dropped (yet):

Iron Man 2
Marvel's The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home

I guess the three Avengers movies and Ragnarok are yet to come, the rest did not make the list. Though there is a movie or two that I am surprised that it did not make the top 250, considering other MCU (or more generally comic book) movies that got in (most notably Guardians 2 and Ant-Man, but I would be way mor shocked to see them in the top 30).

• Like 1

I don't remember Ultron getting that much love so I doubt it passes what has already dropped. Iron Man 2? Gets as much irrational hatred as MoS and QoS so no chance. I forgot about Captain Marvel and I don't remember what the consensus opinion was. So, the first Avengers, Infinity War, Spiderverse, Ragnorak, I guess, and Far From Home would seem like the only ones left with a shot.

I am temporarily closing this thread because I am trying something a little different with the next couple of posts which will be blatantly obvious when you see.

Hopefully folks will like it.

This should take me (crosses fingers) no more than 20 minutes

EDIT - I should have stated that the reason I am doing this is because it is better if there are no random posts in between my posts

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic
Spoiler
avengers-assemble-group-poster

29) THE AVENGERS (2012)

Director: Joss Whedon

557 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural + JL Sigman (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/91%) : METACRITIC (69/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - It was #348 on the GOAT poll and to quote myself from then "That fucking movie was called three different things on three different websites". Also - the RT and Metacritic scores have not changed so if you ever wondered about those sites... there is that piece of info.

• Like 2

Spoiler
infinitywar

28) AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

576 Points (8 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: (Mavs Fan #13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, JL Sigman, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, KLOS, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/91%) : METACRITIC (68/8.7)

• Like 1

This is probably the only pure Apples to Apples drop on the entire list and since it is two of the biggest titles indulge me for a second.

This might only be interesting to me but here we go.

So Infinity War edges out Avengers by 19 points. How did we get there.

First - all of this is moot if Caley actually votes for Infinity War instead of giving it an Honorable Mention. But since he didn't - I can be a stupid dork for a second.

Now - here is the point totals for both movies (this is points - you do the math if you want to see the vote placement). Each movie has 8 votes

Avengers: 97, 97, 94, 93, 62, 53, 45, 16

Infinity War: 88, 83, 82, 81, 80, 80, 64, 17

So Avengers had 4 votes higher than the high vote on Infinity War. However, Infinity War had SIX movies that were #21 or higher on their ballot

Okay, now can we pinpoint to see if one specific voter made the difference. This is the part that entertained me the most.

SEVEN of the EIGHT voters voted for both movies. Andy in Kansas voted for Avengers, Mavs Fan voted for Infinity War. So for the purposes of my next part - I am pairing those two votes together

In the following list will be in the following format: Avengers Points/Infinity War Points/Difference

• Natural: 97/81 (+16 A)
  • JL Sigman: 97/64 (+33 A)
  • The Z: 45/80 (+35 I)
  • Octopus: 53/81 (+28 I)
  • Hobo Joe: 16/17 (+1 I)
  • KLOS: 62/82 (+20 I)
  • RIPPA: 93/83 (+10 A)
  • Andy/Mavs: 94/88 (+6 A)

Yup - it split perfectly in that 4 favored Avengers and 4 favored Infinity War. And you really can't blame one specific vote.

Basically - the average split for those who favored Avengers was a difference of 16 places (16 1/4 to be exact) while the split for those who favored Infinity War was 21 places

And there is more than you ever wanted to know about the voting for those two movies

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• RIPPA unlocked this topic

OH! Dammit! I wanted to mention that you really should watch the Avengers trailer to see how much things have changed in 8 years.

I am too lazy to watch all MCU trailers - but I am curious when they dropped the Lincoln Park (or whoever that was) quasi Rock music

Just now, jaedmc said:

It's clear that if we had banned that guy months ago when we probably should have this would be a different countdown.

There were at least two movies that I was like "Oh man... if only he was banned sooner"

I'm a little surprised they fell to here. I've seen both and I thought it wasn't even close as to which one I enjoyed more. But I figured both would be Top 20, even Top 15, and I daresay deservedly so. Regardless of how I feel both movies accomplished shit that comic nerds like myself thought was IMPOSSIBLE. I can absolutely respect that.

• Like 3

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I think the value of these things lie in the format getting folks attention and directing them to something they haven't seen. It seems like several folks have made some fun discoveries. I know I was reminded of several misses that I need to rectify in order to keep my cinephile card.

Of course as we get closer to the end it's becoming less about discovery, as the majority of voters have probably seen almost everything coming up, and more about

https://ekladata.com/jZQHufRSWallMpxHA8iQejWQfOc.png

Funny you mention that. Dracula Untold, which was supposed to be the first Dark Universe movie, was on TV the other day. It was actually #2 in the box office behind Gone Girl and was the second-best grossing IMAX offering behind Gravity when it came out but promptly dropped off the planet. I dug Charles Dance as (get the originality with this one) Master Vampire but it lost my attention after he left the screen.