DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I will get us to the Top 30 tomorrow.

So obviously we will finish sometime next week. Friday at the latest but that would be me really dragging things out.

I probably should check my work calendar though

52 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I've been following this thread with great interest, thanks to all the folks who submitted lists because there's definitely a lot of stuff people voted for that I've never seen but which I'm absolutely going to check out with I Saw the Devil being the main one. I have no idea how I hadn't even heard of it much less saw it, it seems right up my street.

Korea has put out a TON of high quality, beautiful films about revenge and vengeance. What I love about I Saw The Devil is that it takes that concept and pushes against it. You want the bad guy to get his comeuponce, but you also find yourself wishing the "hero" would stop. Stop trying to play out this fantasy. Great great movie.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, man, completely. I legit only watched A Tale of Two Sisters again a couple of weeks back and have watched a lot of other Korean cinema too and not just only my dude Bong (I mean, I figure, Snowpiercer and Parasite are obviously figuring in the top 36, right?) but I have no idea how I missed I Saw the Devil especially considering it's the same friggin' director as A Tale of Two Sisters. Complete brainfart on my part that will be rectified soon.

But, yeah, there are probably at least 10-15 films on the list so far that I've never checked out that I'm 100% going to.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

I was just about to comment how I was genuinely pleased that the movies I'd never even heard of were still coming even though we were into the top fifty. I had been worried once we got that high the list would just be mainstream blockbusters.

Then we got the all-Marvel block.:) But hopefully there's interesting stuff still to come.

I know I've poopoo'd on the super hero movies, but I can say that I should have voted for Logan. It slipped my mind and I think a few days into the countdown I realized I'd left it off and felt sad.

It's a mixed bag in spots. I feel like it could have chosen a better path to get to what was a pretty satisfying conclusion. But the big moments are still pretty nice. Sometimes even beautiful. 

• Like 1

With taking a moment to get caught up on life I now need to get caught up on the thread. Very happy to see @The Natural be the high vote on Carol. Much love for that movie.

——

I was the high vote on Shame. I felt it did a beautifully uncomfortable take on how a carefully followed routine and maintained privacy can make an addiction seem functional. Then as wrenches get thrown in the house of cards tumble. I’m no addict, but can relate with anxiety. Maintaining panic attacks and overthinking being hidden with overt over the top jokes where no one is in on what’s true and being fun at the bar but closing myself off. Then living with my brothers and eventually dating/living with a mother of four, I was less private and life tumbled out of control.

Performance was great, but I’m generally not one for only-performance-heavy-and-that’s-it films. I don’t feel this was. Very well shot and masterfully put together. Shots are allowed to breath to create a genuine feelings throughout. Moments like the train flirting is paced so well not through cuts but shot blocking and score. Coming across erotic and then actually creepy when reality of the situation out of the moment. The date scene comes across so casual as a disagreement on the idea of a relationship, but nothing is overdone. Two Shot on them with the hand of the waiter in the shot, poorly pouring wine. It all comes across awkward. Something that seems to come across easy for him like talking to women is now stifled and uncomfortable. The date isn’t going well because it’s an actual date and not a means to an end.

Here’s a wonderful one-shot long take. I’m a mark for those.

Ramble.

——

I typed so much more and the website refreshed and kept everything to this point. F. I stayed up so late typing this on my phone. F. I’ll sum up. F.

—— 

I recommend A Separation to everybody. Divorce arguments are always tense. Now add a melodrama master like Farhadi and you have a spine tingling experience. I have this in my GOAT Top 20. My mom loved it too.

——

Roma is spectacular. I was lucky enough to see it in theaters twice.

——

@Andy in Kansas, thanks for the kind words! Very much appreciated. I attempted to be more tongue in check self deprecating and didn’t mean to come across like a bummer.

——

Ramble. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

winter_soldier

41) CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

471 Points (7 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, JL Sigman, BP, RIPPA, The Z, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/92%) : METACRITIC (70/8.5)

#13 on my ballot. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) was one of my most anticipated CBM and it delivered becoming one of the best. The film addresses themes in security vs. freedom, the action is memorable and there's a significant development here that impacts the entire MCU.

Reveal hidden contents

GOTG

40) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2014)

Director: James Gunn

471 Points (10 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JL Sigman, BP, Broken Lamp, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, EVA, KLOS, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/92%) : METACRITIC (76/8.5)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Our first 10 vote movie

One of those heavily regarded films you're in the minority with. Sci-fi/cosmic is rarely my thing and I DETESTED the Mum scenes having only seen the film only a few weeks after losing my Mum. My best friend was sickened that he didn't let me and my Dad know as it really upset us.

Reveal hidden contents

blackpanther

39) BLACK PANTHER (2018)

Director: Ryan Coogler

471 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Natural, The Z, Octopus, Sublime, EVA, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/79%) : METACRITIC (88/6.3)

Late entry to my ballot, Black Panther (2018) placed #44 on my ballot. Liked seeing Wakanda, Black Panther's country he's King of and his rival in the antagonist, Killmonger. 

Reveal hidden contents

logan

38) LOGAN (2017)

Director: James Mangold

500 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, BP, Broken Lamp, Hobo Joe, EVA, Sublime, New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/90%) : METACRITIC (77/8.4)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Our first movie to reach 500 points

Logan (2017) placed #35 on my ballot. It's a bleak film which I've never watched back for that reason. Wolverine and Professor Xavier go out on a memorable note. Something seeing these characters we've got to know at the stage they're at now, old through hardships.

Reveal hidden contents

endgame

37) AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

501 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, JL Sigman, Octopus, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/90%) : METACRITIC (78/7.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - If you are wonder how this is so high with a high vote only at #20, the lowest vote was #47

Avengers: Endgame (2019) made 26th place on my ballot. The culmination of the Infinity Saga, felt a real event and the end of an era. I still have some issues with creative choices though.

And now you see why I wanted to do that block of 5 together.

Adjust your expectations of this list accordingly

Amazing to have a consecutive run of comic book movies in the final countdown like that.

All three films from the Captain America Trilogy made the countdown:

• Captain America: The First Avenger (Johnston, 2011) [123]
  • Captain America: Civil War (Russo Brothers, 2016) [113]
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier(Russo Brothers, 2014) [41]

@The Natural and @JLSigman voted for all three films.

@RIPPA voted for two, The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier.

@(BP) and @The Z voted for two, Civil War and The Winter Soldier.

Mavs Fan and @New Blood voted for Civil War. @caley with an Honourable Mention.

Surprised @Andy in Kansas didn't vote for any.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Amazing to have a consecutive run of comic book movies in the final countdown like that.

Almost didn't happen as Winter Soldier and The Witch were tied - fortunately the tiebreaker went the way it did

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Octopus said:

With taking a moment to get caught up on life I now need to get caught up on the thread. Very happy to see @The Natural be the high vote on Carol. Much love for that movie.

Good seeing you back, @Octopus. Thank you very much for recommending Carol (2015), that and Zootropolis (2016) were the best first time watches for this project.

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Apologies. Airport battle, end fight or T'Challa to Zemo?

None of that

The BP/Bucky/Cap chase scene

Spider-man had some fun lines during the Airport scene

The end can just fuck right off

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Surprised @Andy in Kansas didn't vote for any.

In the same vein as the first John Wick flick, if I'd expanded my ballot to a whole 100 movies then Winter Solider was almost certainly making it. The action in this one is amazing. Every punch and kick had a kind of impact that made it stand out from the Marvel movies to that point. The Russo brothers are good at this stuff. And goddamn do I just love Chris Evans in this role in general. 

In terms of how big these movies have gotten, it sometimes blows my mind that they got Robert Redford for the fifth lead in a Captain America sequel and the bench is so deep in so many of these movies now that a move like that made sense. Just bananas. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3

Redford's answer to why he wanted to do Winter Soldier is the best

“One of the reasons that I did [Captain America: The Winter Soldier] was I wanted to experience this new form of filmmaking that’s taken over where you have kind of cartoon characters brought to life through high technology,” Redford explains. “The Avengers series is a product of high technology playing a major role in the new order of filmmaking so I wanted to experience that—I just wanted to know what that was like and I had that opportunity, so for me it was like stepping into new terrain just to experience what it was like.”

Clearly he wouldn't make it as a wrestling veteran with that type of attitude

• Like 3

Eh? Redford has always come across as a flawed diamond and that is generally what he has played. Don't see him as Cap at all. Any 70's big budget version would have played up the jingoism (regardless of who was writing it). It obviously would have been Eastwood's to refuse. Which I'm sure he would have!

Oh I am good - the University is "randomly" sampling everybody. (Quotes because who knows how truly random it is)

But since it is free - I will gladly let the government get me

• Like 2

Spoiler
gravity

36) GRAVITY (2013)

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

519 Points (9 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Jae, Andy in Kansas, Bill S Preston, EVA, KLOS, Octopus, Execproducer - HONORABLE MENTION: Control, The Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/80%) : METACRITIC (96/7.8)

• Like 1