DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

43) EX MACHINA (2014)

Director: Alex Garland

457 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: EVA (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Execproducer, Natural, RIPPA, New Blood, Caley, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (78/8.0)

• Like 1

Man - Oscar Isaac had himself a nice little decade

Anyway - quick story

So I watched Ex Machina for the first time for this a few weeks ago and as it gets near the climax of the movie, of course my wife walks into the room for the first time right when completely nude Alicia Wikander is on screen. Fortunately, at that point of the movie, she had far more questions about what was happening then why Lara Croft had nothing on.

42) THE WITCH (2015)

Director: Robert Eggers

471 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Sublime, Bill S Preston, EVA, KLOS, Control, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/58%) : METACRITIC (83/7.3)

Okay I am stopping there because the next 5 movies that I will do tomorrow might be the most irritating batch of the whole countdown for some

It also contains - to me - one major surprise

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I was high on Whiplash on first watch but going back to it I was like "I hate both of these douchebags, fuck this movie." and that was the end of it on my ballot. 

Pretty sure I'd still love it. Not sure that says anything good about me.

I never liked The Witch but I think that's because I only saw it once and was working under the assumption that I was supposed to be rooting for the whole family.  I may have compared it once to "Oculus, but like if the protagonists were blaming everything on their refrigerator".

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

48) INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS (2013)

Director: Joel & Ethan Coen

405 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Caley, EVA, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/74%) : METACRITIC (93/7.8)

I like to think the entire new Star Wars trilogy is really taking place inside of Adam Driver’s character’s head while he’s singing Please, Mr. Kennedy. 
F4-D432-B3-9833-4-E11-9-FF0-DC38-FA9-D49

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

inherent_vice

44) INHERENT VICE (2014)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

420 Points (9 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Andy in Kansas, Bill S Preston, Octopus, Hobo Joe, EVA, Execproducer - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (74%/52%) : METACRITIC (81/7.3)

@TimLivingston wrote

@Curt McGirt wrote

I saw this in theaters and enjoyed it, but was sort of baffled by it, figured being able to watch it at home with closed captioning for some of the mumblier scenes would help me figure it out. Rewatched it at home and was perhaps more bewildered than I was the first time. Then I bought the blu-ray for like $5 because I really wanted to see it again and got about forty minutes into it, got completely lost again, even moreso than before. I've tried reading the plot outlines online and stuff and I enjoy the film, but I want to know what's going on! It's almost like if someone took 'The Big Lebowski' but leaned more on mystery than silliness, and made it more complicated. So while I [i]like[/i], I feel like I could like it more.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

43) EX MACHINA (2014)

457 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: EVA (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Execproducer, Natural, RIPPA, New Blood, Caley, Hobo Joe

Oscar Isaac dancing in this movie would definitely make my Top 10 scenes of the decade list.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

47) DEADPOOL (2016)

Director: Tim Miller

409 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, Broken Lamp, EVA KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/90%) : METACRITIC (65/8.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Of course I picked the Red Band Trailer

Deadpool (2016) was my #15. Such a funny film taking shots at the superhero genre and the X-Men film series. You get the hilarious opening credits, freeway fight, T-Rex, Deadpool rap and the last talk with Dopinda as Collossus/Negasonic ride in the taxi. Only X-Men film I'd have above it is X2 (2003).

16 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

"You can't buy love, but you can rent it for three minutes."

Best Stan Lee cameo? Maybe top three. Age of Ultron and Guardians 2 are also great. 

You've named the best ones barring two, The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) and Teen Titans GO! To The Movies (2018). Avengers: Age of Ultron is the best Stan Lee cameo.

16 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Rippa representing almost every kids animated feature and then being the highvote on Deadpool is all anyone needs to know.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Damn straight bitches

LOL.

14 hours ago, caley said:

completely forgot this movie existed. It probably could have snuck into my HMs for sure. I liked this miles better than the sequel.

Same here. Deadpool 2 (2018) disappointed me. The original had a better story, it was leaner and funnier too. The mid-credits and post-credits scenes in Deadpool 2, you know the ones are the only things it has going for it.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

43) EX MACHINA (2014)

Ex Machina (Garland, 2014). I'm hit and miss when it comes with the sci-fi genre. More often than not, I don't like it. This proved to be an exception addressing AI and can autonomy think and pass off as a person? Alicia Vikander is great as Eva. A lock for my ballot.

My #24.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler
winter_soldier

41) CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

471 Points (7 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, JL Sigman, BP, RIPPA, The Z, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/92%) : METACRITIC (70/8.5)

• Like 1

Spoiler
GOTG

40) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2014)

Director: James Gunn

471 Points (10 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: JL Sigman, BP, Broken Lamp, The Z, Octopus, Hobo Joe, EVA, KLOS, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/92%) : METACRITIC (76/8.5)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Our first 10 vote movie

Someone brought up "rewatchability" when ranking movies and so for me its funny that these two are back to back since they are the two most rewatchable movies of the Marvel franchise (I guess I would toss the first Avengers in there too)

I had them 5 spots apart in my ballot. If I redid it tomorrow, it is entirely possible their order would be flipped.

God - I still wish Robert Redford had been utilized more

• Like 2

And there is the stunner I referenced.

I was positive Black Panther would be Top 20 with an outside shot at Top 10

JT is gonna return and be so disappointed in you guys.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:38 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

For the Marvel stuff, I'm not sure Infinity War or Endgame are the best bets. Winter Soldier has a solid backing who swear by it being the best of the films, so in my estimation either it or Black Panther finishes highest among those.

Get a load of this dipshit. 

• Haha 4

Spoiler
endgame

37) AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo

501 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, JL Sigman, Octopus, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/90%) : METACRITIC (78/7.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - If you are wonder how this is so high with a high vote only at #20, the lowest vote was #47

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And there goes our last 6 vote movie

I said this about Sorry to Bother You

It was a dirty dirty lie

I couldn't have been more comically wrong

I've been following this thread with great interest, thanks to all the folks who submitted lists because there's definitely a lot of stuff people voted for that I've never seen but which I'm absolutely going to check out with I Saw the Devil being the main one. I have no idea how I hadn't even heard of it much less saw it, it seems right up my street.

Figured there'd be a lot of Marvel films in the top half, I've never ever read a comic book and there's been, what, 400 Marvel films released in the last 15 years? Out of all those I'd probably have maybe 5 in my top 100, those being maybe Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, Guardians 1,  Deadpool and, yeah, Logan which is fucking great. But Marvel films are super popular and I have zero qualms with anyone voting for them. 

I didn't submit a ballot not out of cowardice but out of sheer ignorance and missing this whole thing altogether. Surprising one for me so far is definitely Whiplash being so low; it would be really high on my list. Fury Road is number one with a bullet but Whiplash, Nightcrawler, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and six others would round off the rest of my top 10 in some undetermined order. 

There are some I loved though like The Guard, Calvary, Wild Rose, Funny Cow and Tyrannosaur which were probably nowhere near anyone's list. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop