DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Part of how I judged my list was based on "rewatchability" and Nice Guys is one of those movies that if you were just done watching it then your buddy came around and said "Hey you wanna watch Nice Guys?" you'd be all like "Yup." Gosling should accept his Ryan Reynoldsesque future and just do comedies, he's that good at them.

Spoiler
irishman

65) THE IRISHMAN (2019)

Director: Martin Scorsese

328 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/86%) : METACRITIC (94/8.1)

@caleywrote

The Irishman: (Well finished it, been watching it in parcels)  'twas good.  It's probably too long, but I'm not sure what should have been cut.  DeNiro was right, they should have retained the original title ("I Hear You Paint Houses").  The de-aging technology is really good, but it's also really apparent in some scenes that you're watching an older man try to play younger.  When De Niro beats up the shopkeeper and can barely lift his leg off the ground to kick the guy, it's clearly an older man trying to pretend to kick someone rather than the younger man he's portraying.  I can't decide whether Pacino did a good job as Hoffa, or an okay job as Pacino.  Harvey Keitel was really underused and I would have liked to see more Bobby Cannavale but I always want more Cannavale!  

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8214-2020-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=955879

@Andy in Kansas wrote

The Irishman (2019)

This would be a fine career-capper for all the major players, so of course everyone except Pesci is already working on other stuff. The aging/de-aging wasn't as distracting as I expected it to be, and it was only really noticeable when they were trying to sell De Niro as a young man. Kept a brisk pace, so the runtime wasn't nearly as brutal as I'd expected. Performances were fun all around, but nothing jumps out at me for awards consideration. Good to see Pesci. Pacino got to go big as Hoffa which was fun. 

I'd hate to spend too much time on comparison, but with this movie it feels necessary to touch on. I've seen a lot of praise for the film's maturity when compared to some of Scorcese's more popular works. I see that point, but I also feel it overlooks or underplays the shittiness at the core of some of his flashier films. And because this material is so well-trodden, it's impossible for the movie to feel new in spite of it being one of Marty's better movies in a while. Still, as an older, wiser version of something he's made a few times before, this hit its mark. 

Ranking against Marty's movies from this decade, miles better than Hugo and Shutter Island. But this trip down memory lane has nothing on the disgusting excess of Wolf of Wall Street. Still haven't seen Silence. 

Watch it if you like Scorsese gangster fare. If you don't, don't. It's probably exactly what you're imagining it is. 

I tend to like that sort of stuff, so it gets

⭐⭐⭐ out of four

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8022-2019-q4-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=939501

NOTE FROM RIPPA - The post before Caley's is from Curt reviewing Irishman in which he says its good but then just shits on the de-aging technology the entire time. In general, this movie has a lot of easily findable reviews on both sides of the fence (probably the combo being recent and on Netflix)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

silver_linings_playbook

67) SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012)

Director: David O. Russell

324 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan + Caley (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Execproducer, Sublime - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (81/8.6)

The betting part lost me as I think we do it differently from the UK to the US but gave a honourable mention to Silver Linings Playbook (2012) for the connection between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence characters. Robert De Niro's supporting turn as well.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

66) DREDD (2012)

Director: Pete Travis

325 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, KLOS, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/72%) : METACRITIC (60/8.8)

@New Blood wrote

Dredd (2012) was my #41. I saw it at the cinema when it opened, it's one of the very few 3D films worth seeing in the format. I prefer Dredd to both Raid films by far. Thought the film did a great job showing the difficulties that come with Mega-City One, Karl Urban in the title role, making the judges armour as leather biker suits and the synthesizer score. I bought the film same week it came out on DVD. Such a shame it didn't make the money and get the sequel treatment it deserved.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler
incendies_ver4

64) INCENDIES (2010)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

330 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Bill S Preston, Jae, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/92%) : METACRITIC (80/8.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Incendies was #245 on Greatest of All Time Poll. Also to tie this up

@caley wrote "I'm pretty high on most of Villeneuve's stuff ('Sicario' and, especially, 'Arrival', as well as 'Prisoners') so this seems like something I should really get around to seeing. " Looking at the list of voters, I see he did.

Also - @The Zwas one of the two voters of it the last time

Spoiler
star-wars-force-awakens-official-poster

62) STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015)

Director: J.J. Abrams

335 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, RIPPA, KLOS, Sublime, The Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (80/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA: This was #347 on the GOAT reveal and I am not gonna provide any context because it is making me giggle

• Like 1

Okay - now that they are showing up that I do want to remind folks that the Greatest of All Time poll had a cutoff of Dec 31, 2016 so anything 2017 on was ineligible.

Just if you were wondering how some movies might not appeared on that poll

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Basically my giant note there is to say that if @S.K.o.S. had submitted a ballot this time - Incendies probably would have been Top 20

Without seeing the numbers, you're probably right.

I have a special attachment to it because I saw it when it premiered at the Toronto film festival, when Villeneuve was much, much less of a name.  I checked it out because I saw someone online (don't even remember if it was a professional reviewer) who said something like "Well, I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen the play it's based on, and if the movie is anywhere near as good as the play, it'll be amazing."

10 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I voted for Lady Bird.

You did - I forgot to edit that entire line (if you notice it is exactly the same as Force Awakens)

I will edit in like 15 minutes when I get back from grabbing my food

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

separation

70) A SEPARATION (Jodaeiye Nader az Simin) (2011)

Director: Asghar Farhadi

319 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Octopus (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, The Z, Bill S Preston, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%/92%) : METACRITIC (95/8.9)

This would have come in higher if I had voted. Probably somewhere in my top 20 if not top 10. I remember enjoying Farhadi's follow up film too "The Past."

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Basically my giant note there is to say that if @S.K.o.S. had submitted a ballot this time - Incendies probably would have been Top 20

Incendies is the only Villeneuve I've yet to see. The only one of his I didn't particularly care for that I have seen is Prisoners. 

Also, I'm personally kind of disappointed that Force Awakens finished ahead of Last Jedi, but I'm a big TLJ defender.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The post before Caley's is from Curt reviewing Irishman in which he says its good but then just shits on the de-aging technology the entire time.

I had exactly one sentence about the de-aging. 

Finally got to see I Heard You Paint Houses (AKA The Irishman) via free Netflix test subscription. Good, but did De Niro seriously need to be in that role? FFS, give it to somebody younger. Every single person in the movie looked like they were about to croak even with the digital de-aging. What I really took away with it aside from that is the power of Russell Bufalino in the Mafia. Even though I've read the book the film was based on years ago I don't think it quite sank in how much power he had, or Angelo Bruno for that matter. They aren't talked about as much as other bosses, probably because aside from Bruno's death they weren't extravagant enough, or maybe because their power gives government and the unions more of a black eye than others. 

And yeah, I lost it when Action Bronson showed up. Had to pause the film due to laughing so hard.

Your brain is short-circuiting

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

star-wars-force-awakens-official-poster

62) STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015)

Director: J.J. Abrams

335 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, RIPPA, KLOS, Sublime, The Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (80/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA: This was #347 on the GOAT reveal and I am not gonna provide any context because it is making me giggle

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) was difficult for me to do with. I really liked the film but it's similarities are so entwined with the original Star Wars movie. Not keen on Rey able to do everything but Kylo Ren's terrific, by far the best new character. Good seeing Han Solo, Lea and Luke Skywalker again. I see THAT cliffhanger ending with Luke Skywalker waiting to see where it went two years later and the direction taken by Rian Johnson in Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) wasn't for me. So, yeah what to do with Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Edited by The Natural

35 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Hereditary was okay. Gabriel Byrne was lit in that movie.

I thought it was hilarious. I think both of that dude's movies (Midsommar/Hereditary) are comedies that instead of "jokes" he just decapitates something or bashes in a skull. And I feel like I'm actually enjoying them, not in an ironic "it's so laughably bad it's entertaining" kind of way.

• Like 1