DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I mean, he'd have to be purposely obtuse to not see the merit in them but I doubt Pixar or Marvel or Star Wars are making his top 500 of the decade, let alone top 100. I'm basically using him as a surrogate to gripe about all of the films that won't make it while stuff like Inside Out does. ?  Of course, I haven't actually seen it so it is always possible that I might like it as much as Up or the first Toy Story.

Inside Out is a pretty fantastic movie that gets darker than I'd have expected (and based on the use of colours in correspondence with emotions, or the lack thereof, I mean that literally). It's about memories and growth and change and accepting it's okay to feel certain ways. It's got some really creative, funny bits about what certain cognitive processes would look like in a stylized, fantastical world. And the emotional beats slap hard, which they'd better in a movie that's billed as being all about emotions.

Voice performances don't always garner the praise they deserve, but Amy Poehler and especially Phyllis Smith are fantastic in this. I recall reading that at one point the plan was for the main drive of the movie be the Poehler and Hader characters, and thank goodness that's not the movie they made. Phyllis Smith is a huge part of why this movie works so well. 

I like this one a lot. It was 20 on my ballot, so RIPPA didn't beat me by much. Marty can stay mad. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

I doubt he's actually mad about Marvel. He just said they're more like theme park rides than movies. But people who really love those movies construed that as "U Mad Bro".

It's not even the worst valid criticism you could make about those movies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

76) THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (2011)

Director: Drew Goddard

300 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA, KLOS, Octopus, Control - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/74%) : METACRITIC (72/8.1)

Should I watch this? Not really a Whedon guy, and the other Drew Goddard movie I saw (Bad Night at the El Royale) was rather middling, and I run hot and cold on horror so...

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

75) ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016)

Director: Gareth Edwards

300 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/86%) : METACRITIC (65/7.6)

The only Star Wars movie I rated. I actually wish this had been spun off into a three movie arc, as I found all the characters pretty damn interesting (Was bummed how little Forrest Whitaker was in it, only to find out his character is used a lot in one of those cartoons serieses I didn't watch) and love Donnie Yen and Ben Mendelsohn. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

truegrit_remake

73) TRUE GRIT (2010)

Director: Joel and Ethan Coen

305 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Bill S Preston, The Z, Control, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/85%) : METACRITIC (80/7.8)

@Curt McGirt wrote

I wasn't expecting this one to turn up, honestly. I like it but didn't think it had that big of a following.

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Once I saw Four Lions, I was looking for a reason to pivot to talking about The Night Of, but couldn't find a way. Thanks for going there for me! Ahmed is can't miss in that. The tension he has to carry, especially the first hour of that show, is nuts. And John Turturro turns in what would be a near career-best performance for anyone who isn't John fucking Turturro. So good.

I hope this isn't the last time on this list we'll have a reason to bring up the What We Do in the Shadows series. You know how deep that bench is when you realize Novak might be the least funny of person in the main cast. 

The real revelation of that show is Natasia Demetriou who is so good. I mean, Matt Barry, Novak and Mark Proksch were already on my radar from other shows, but Demetriou is someone I was not familiar with and is just incredible on WWDITS

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ywnrh_poster

71) YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE (2017)

Director: Lynne Ramsay

315 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Jae, Hobo Joe, EVA, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%/65%) : METACRITIC (84/7.3)

Shit yeah! I forgot all about it and am excited to see it show up. This has an incredible score, too.

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I doubt he's actually mad about Marvel. He just said they're more like theme park rides than movies. But people who really love those movies construed that as "U Mad Bro".

It's not even the worst valid criticism you could make about those movies.

I remember laughing when this came up and saying "So, you mean the guy who is big into classic Italian neorealism and film noirs from the 40s isn't bit into blockbuster comicbook action movies?! What a shocker!?"  Some people love superhero movies, some don't. Writing off one because of the other is just so silly to me. Martin Scorsese loves 'Duel in the Sun', I thought it was tedious. It doesn't mean I suddenly have to denigrate his films because we disagree there. People are weird.

• Like 2

I like comic book movies. It is great that they are finally able to present them in a way that can somewhat match the movies the were in my head when I read comics in the 70's and 80's. Unfortunately I can't connect with the Marvel films in any meaningful way like I can with most other films I watch. Maybe that is a by-product of age but I suspect there is more to it than that. And everything Star Wars since the original trilogy has been a pointless cash grab though I was actually entertained by Rogue One.

And Duel in the Sun is fantastic.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caley said:

Should I watch this? Not really a Whedon guy, and the other Drew Goddard movie I saw (Bad Night at the El Royale) was rather middling, and I run hot and cold on horror so...

Do you like horror comedy? Do you like meta horror? I'm not a huge fan of either, and I still loved it. It's a serious love letter to horror cinema beneath everything, and is a really smart, clever film that is not what you're expecting at all. Don't read anything about it, just go in cold and watch it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caley said:

I definitely felt like I was watching a feature based on a high-concept Buffy idea that didn't make it out of the writer's room. And I was so certain that we were living in a post-Whedon world that it felt like this had a chance to drop off the rankings altogether. I'm honestly floored that it made the cut. Do with that what you will.

My general feeling both on this and revisiting prime Whedon stuff that used to really hit home with me: It's ok

On 10/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

blackklan

91) BLACKKKLANSMAN (2018)

Director: Spike Lee

263 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/83%) : METACRITIC (83/7.4)

Re-watched this tonight to wash the taste of Velvet Buzzsaw out of my mouth (thanks for nothing, @elizium ?). The contrast between the stammering Baldwin speech at the beginning, constantly reaching for lines take after take, and the assured, confident direction and editing of great, mesmerizing, persuasive oration during the Ture speech? *chef's kiss*

John David Washington performers multitudes in this movie. 

I don't even know where to lay in my Adam Driver praise and I feel that moment has passed based on what's still in play. I remember loving him in Girls and then being stoked that he kept getting all kinds of high-profile stuff. Here's to ten more years of Adam Driver. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

four_lions

79) FOUR LIONS (2010)

Director: Christopher Morris

297 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Sublime, Caley, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/80%) : METACRITIC (68/7.9)

Glad Four Lions (2010) performed as well as it has. Funniest film of the 2010s and impressively so considering the subject matter, inept suicide Muslim bombers. The thumbnail is from my favourite scene. I snigger like Muttley every time at "So is he a martyr or a fucking jalfrezi?" To those who haven't seen it, please do.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

zootopia

78) ZOOTOPIA (2016)

Director: Byron Howard/Rich Moore/Jared Bush

298 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Sublime, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/92%) : METACRITIC (78/8.7)

@For Great Justicewrote

Zootopia (2016) is called Zootropolis in the UK. This was the best film I watched for this project and thanks to @RIPPA giving us an extra week I was able to. What a gem of a movie. A timely fable showing we have more in common than what causes divisions between people and communities. The sloth sequence is hilarious as is the "hustle sweetheart" scene with Nick's reaction. I was still thinking about this movie a few days after. The film deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature and should have been nominated for Best Picture as well.

15 hours ago, caley said:

I've already much detailed my love for this one, but it's kind of funny how two of the actors have gone on to pretty big things States-side (Riz Ahmed had that HBO miniseries, and Kayan Novak is one of the leads in the FX TV adaptation of 'What We Do in the Shadows' (Which is a million times better than I was expecting it to be!), but Nigel Lindsay, who kind of stole the movie a lot with his deranged white guy converted to Islamic terrorist role, never really increased his profile (I see he was a bad guy in the Magnum PI reboot but I will likely NEVER see that!).

It's only recently I learned Kayak Novak is Nandor in What We Do In The Shadows. When the TV show was announced, I had big doubts. I was proven wrong. A frequently funny show.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

76) THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (2011)

Director: Drew Goddard

300 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA, KLOS, Octopus, Control - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/74%) : METACRITIC (72/8.1)

As a horror fan and the direction it went in, I gave The Cabin in the Woods (2012) one of my honourable mentions.

75) ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016)

Director: Gareth Edwards

300 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/86%) : METACRITIC (65/7.6)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) placed #38 on my ballot for fittingly seamlessly into the Star Wars series coming before Star Wars starts and THAT Darth Vader scene. Said sequence of Darth Vader slaughtering Rebels is my favourite Star Wars moment ever. Fantastic.

74) BABY DRIVER (2017)

Director: Edgar Wright

301 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas, Hobo Joe, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (86/7.8)

One I wanted to see having watched Edgar Wright's previous movies but it wasn't available to me.

Edited by The Natural

12 hours ago, JLSigman said:

For me, this is about as perfect a Star Wars film as you can get. It also gets bonus emotional stuff from me because a) I saw it right after Carrie Fisher died and b) it was the last film I saw in a theater.

I award films bonus marks for added circumstances: be it having fun before the film starts and a meal afterwards. I understand both of those for you.

12 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I hope this isn't the last time on this list we'll have a reason to bring up the What We Do in the Shadows series. You know how deep that bench is when you realize Novak might be the least funny of person in the main cast. 

I'd be amazed if What We Do In the Shadows (2014) doesn't make the countdown. When the TV show was announced, I had big doubts. I was proven wrong. A frequently funny show. Funniest person to me in the main cast is Nadja played by Natasia Demetriou. I also crack up at Bat! I actually preferred the first season to the second.

Spoiler
nice_guys

68) THE NICE GUYS (2016)

Director: Shane Black

324 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, EVA, New Blood, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/79%) : METACRITIC (70/7.6)

@Pete wrote

Caught The Nice Guys over the weekend, and honestly I'm surprised at the complete lack of any Oscars buzz for it between the cinematography, costumes etc. At the very least, Angourie Rice should've gotten a Supporting Actress nomination. Gosling's comedic chops are really on point throughout

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5686-january-2017-movie-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=609713

@(BP) wrote

The Nice Guys is a great time at the movies. Gosling's performance is basically Jim Rockford by way of Lou Costello, and it's priceless. Plus, Russel Crowe throws down with Keith David! 

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4994-movie-may-2016-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=528911

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Pete actually mentioned Lou Costello too but I had to leave that out since it was part of a spoiler

66) DREDD (2012)

Director: Pete Travis

325 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, KLOS, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/72%) : METACRITIC (60/8.8)

@New Blood wrote

Just re watched Dredd with my wife who had never seen it. It still holds up really well.  Don't know why I don't see this at least once a year since it's such a fun action movie.  My wife was also a big fan of the Fox show, Almost Human which also had Karl Urban in it so she made several comparisons between Dredd and John Kennex.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6175-june-2017-movie-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=653797

• Like 1

Nice Guys has been one that I had wanted to watch since it came out since this fortunately gave me the push to watch it.

Funny little side note - the next movie I watched after Nice Guys was Spider-man Far From Home so it was suddenly “is Angourie Rice in every movie”?