DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I know perceptions of movies change and different people voted in this one or didn't vote in this one, but I find some of these to be interesting:

2010-2014 poll vs Best of the Decade Poll:

Skyfall - Then: 21, Now: 87

The Lego Movie - Then: 12, Now: 92

Interstellar - Then: 17, Now: 111

I'm not going to go through the whole list, but those are some DROPS!

Somewhat respectable: 

Moonrise Kingdom - Then: 70, Now: 86

Edit: DAMN!

The World's End - Then: 33, Now: 115

Edit: This one bums me out. Sorry again, everyone.

Killer Joe - Then: 53, Now: 139

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Winter's Bone - Then: 32, Now: 85

Argo - Then: 77, Now: 83

I'm curious to see where Her finishes. I have a feeling it'll be well outside of the top Ten. I'm guessing #1 ends up going Marvel of some type (Endgame maybe?).

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

82) THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)

Director: David Fincher

286 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: EVA (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, The Z, Hobo Joe, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/86%) : METACRITIC (95/8.2)

This one is my bad. I would have had it in my top ten somewhere as well. I actually revisited it a couple of years ago, and it's still a masterwork of filmmaking. It shows how good a restrained Sorkin can be (Moneyball accomplishes this to a lesser extent).

I don't have a mortal lock either. But if I were to guess, just based on where I think the group here is at, I think #1 is from the second half of the decade and it'll be one of these (note: this should not be taken as a sign of where these are on my ballot or whether or not they made it at all):

Spoiler

Fury Road

Moonlight

Into the Spiderverse

Get Out

But I may be way off.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
I can't spell.
  • Like 1

Moonlight or Mad Max seem like the best bets. Parasite is probably too new despite how great it is. Nothing from pre-2015 really jumps out as having enough staying power. Maybe 12 Years a Slave, but I really doubt that. 

If it's Marvel, it's Infinity War or Black Panther.  I guess Spider-Verse should lump in with that. 

I'd say 30% each for the first two, 10% Marvel, 30% the field. 

Edited by Contentious C

I definitely wrote Parasite off as a possibility. It should finish high, but I didn't see it until pretty close to the Oscars. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who haven't had the chance yet.

Grand Budapest Hotel finished nine last time and feels like it might have some staying power. Wes Anderson is still a crowd-pleaser. Maybe it surprises me.

I still want my ticket to Tree of Life refunded. Watching the slow trickle of people leaving during the movie was the best part of the experience. Don't @ me. 

For the Marvel stuff, I'm not sure Infinity War or Endgame are the best bets. Winter Soldier has a solid backing who swear by it being the best of the films, so in my estimation either it or Black Panther finishes highest among those.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

I think Her still finishes pretty high. I had it #2 in my half-decade ballot and it didn't drop much in this one.

I'd put my money on Mad Max for #1, I'd imagine it's pretty high on damn near every ballot, but Parasite wouldn't surprise me.

Spider-Verse is a lock for top five.

• Like 2

I need to reply to a number of posts after this. On the predictions talk in the thread I made for them, Mad Max Fury Road was my guess for #1. Parasite, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Get Out are contenders. Of those, I can see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse pipping Fury Road to the top spot. I'm curious to see which MCU film finishes the highest. I think it'll be Captain America: The Winter Soldier with challengers in Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Infinity War.

Edited by The Natural

On 10/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

civilwar

113) CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR (2016)

Director: Joe and Anthony Russo

213 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, BP, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/89%) : METACRITIC (75/8.3)

Captain America: Civil War (2016) was my #14. There's ramifications from lives lost and damage to countries leading to the Accords dividing the Avengers. I thought the film did a great job with that. Spider-Man makes his long awaited MCU debut and steals the show. The airport battle is still my #1 MCU moment. The late, great Chadwick Boseman appears as Black Panther for the first time. This felt like Avengers 2.5 and is a better Avengers film than those which have that word in the title.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:14 AM, Execproducer said:

I'm assuming if J.T. were around, it would have been much higher.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:12 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I really do hope he's doing okay. I know about his job and all but it isn't like him to be away this long. 

I also hope @J.T.'s okay. Miss you, friend.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

spiderman_homecoming

103) SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Director: Jon Watts

234 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Broken Lamp, The Z, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/87%) : METACRITIC (73/7.6)

One I considered but there's a couple of things stopped me voting for it.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

mi_ghost_protocol

102) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL (2011)

Director: Brad Bird

235 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Mavs Fan, Andy in Kansas

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/76%) : METACRITIC (73/7.9)

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) was my #32. Out of all Tom Cruise stunts for these movies, the Burj Khalifa set piece is the standout.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:56 PM, RIPPA said:

Regarding Homecoming: I still think Holland is the best Spider-man and Michael Keaton is great but far too much teenage angst for me to consider voting for it.

Regarding Ghost Protocol: I said this when the other one popped up but if I could remember the difference in the movies without having to rewatch I might have thrown one on the back end of my ballot. I still don't understand why Paula Patton isn't more of a thing.

I agree with all of this.

Edited by The Natural

On 10/18/2020 at 2:17 PM, RIPPA said:

I liked Far From Home more (also helpful that we didn't have to spend time on origin story).

Obviously Keaton > Jake G but it has less teenage angst (there was still was some however)

I also note again that I watched FFH with my teenage son so that was a much better experience

I preferred Spider-Man: Homecoming to Spider-Man: Far From Home even though I had more issues with the former. Felt the first act really dragged in the latter. I agree with you that circumstances can make for a film getting bonus marks adding to the experience. More on that shortly.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

Same. Based on how lauded he is among some people, I'm surprised with have 95 movies to go and we're pretty much done with Nolan. 

Here's to Inception not making the top 50! We can do it, people! 

Both Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino dropped in the 2010s to the 2000s

On 10/19/2020 at 12:44 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

moana

95) MOANA (2016)

Director: Ron Clements/John Musker/Don Hall/Chris Williams

260 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Broken Lamp, Natural, RIPPA, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/89%) : METACRITIC (81/7.8)

One of the last films I watched for the project. I was unsure whether to vote for it or not. Moana (2016) was my #42 on the strength of culture celebration, Moana is resourceful and her banter with Maui. I was surprised by the amount of musical numbers.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:05 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

lego movie - cinema quad movie poster (1).jpg

92) THE LEGO MOVIE (2014)

Director: Christopher Miller/Phil Lord

263 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, Andy in Kansas, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/87%) : METACRITIC (83/8.3)

The Lego Movie (2014) was my #22. I didn't see that twist coming and it made me bump it up my ballot a few extra places. Batman's cameo is hilarious. Still stunned it wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:11 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

blackklan

91) BLACKKKLANSMAN (2018)

Director: Spike Lee

263 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/83%) : METACRITIC (83/7.4)

BlacKkKlansman (2018) was my #48 showing the racism in the 1970s and in the present day. The film's present day closing sequence is really chilling.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:41 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

carol

89) CAROL (2015)

Director: Todd Haynes

266 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/74%) : METACRITIC (94/8.0)

Out of my first time viewings for the project, Carol (2005) was the second best movie. The story, the message it sends that love is love, the performances by Cate Blanchett/Rooney Mara, how the film looks and Todd Haynes direction. Surprised I was the highest voter.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, RIPPA said:

87) SKYFALL (2012)

Director: Sam Mendes

270 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Hobo Joe, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (81/7.7)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - The thread is started like two years after Skyfall came out it does have some discussion in it. Plus we can still laugh at it starting with a fake trailer

Skyfall (2012) was my #23 ranked film. Skyfall blended the old Bond staples with the new in Daniel Craig's era. Javier Bardem's Silva is memorable, ditto for the titular Bond theme by Adele. Craig's best Bond movie.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

argo

83) ARGO (2012)

Director: Ben Affleck

279 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Mavs Fan, Bill S Preston, Sublime, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/90%) : METACRITIC (86/7.7)

You know I said circumstances before or after seeing a film may help an added enjoyment to it? That's the case with Argo (2012) managing to get two free tickets to an advanced screening and then getting their early as seats were first come, first served with people having to be turned away. This was a great true story as the tension goes up and up. The film deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Picture and somehow Ben Affleck was snubbed of a Best Director nomination. Affleck should have won as well.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler
skinilivein

80) THE SKIN I LIVE IN (La piel que habito) (2011)

Director: Pedro Almodóvar

295 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Jae, Bill S Preston, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/84%) : METACRITIC (70/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I guess the trailer is NSFW since there is a rogue nipple that they really didn't try to hard to cover.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Les Yeux Sans Visage/Eyes Without A Face is one of the last films I expected to be remade this century so I give them props. 

It's based on a book and is very much not a remake of Eyes Without a Face(certainly an influence.)

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

skinilivein

80) THE SKIN I LIVE IN (La piel que habito) (2011)

Director: Pedro Almodóvar

295 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Jae, Bill S Preston, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/84%) : METACRITIC (70/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I guess the trailer is NSFW since there is a rogue nipple that they really didn't try to hard to cover.

Almodovar is such an embarrassing blind spot for me that I need to remedy.

Spoiler
zootopia

78) ZOOTOPIA (2016)

Director: Byron Howard/Rich Moore/Jared Bush

298 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Sublime, KLOS, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/92%) : METACRITIC (78/8.7)

@For Great Justicewrote

Been watching a lot of Disney+ with the kids in the past week, and man if Zootopia isn’t the sleeper great animated Disney flick of the 10’s. Tight writing, excellent voice work and some fantastic little animation touches. Plus ‘Try Everything’ slaps.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8214-2020-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=1016370

• Like 1