DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Spoiler
Print

119) DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2014)

Director: Matt Reeves

200 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, EVA, Andy in Kansas

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/88%) : METACRITIC (79/8.2)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I don't think I posted this thread already. Note EVA's comment about spoilers in that thread

Now that the entire Apes trilogy is on the board, a brief recap:

• The Z and Hobo Joe are the only two to vote for all three
  • JL Sigman and BP jumped on board for Rise, myself and EVA for Dawn
  • 219 for War (122 points), 181 for Rise (151 points), 119 for Dawn (200 points)
Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

117) 1917 (2019)

Director: Sam Mendes

204 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#33) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Broken Lamp, EVA, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%/88%) : METACRITIC (78/8.4)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - With its limited release starting on Christmas 2019, this pretty much was the last movie that was eligible for this poll

6 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

• 219 for War (122 points), 181 for Rise (151 points), 119 for Dawn (200 points)

I legit was gonna do that after I posted this next movie. Saved me some time.

But since I am here - I will note this interesting little tidbit about 1917. 3 of the 4 voters had it almost in the same exact spot - 33, 34 and 35 (the 4th vote was 98th)

When I wrote this in the other thread

I love these projects but I always forget how they will be the death of me.

I am not even a quarter of a way into my first ballot entered and I already have a winner for the "most infuriating movie title and director for my excel file" locked up

I was talking about Uncle Boonmee

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:38 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

darkknightreturns

157) BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (2012 & 2013)

Director: Jay Olivia

167 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Natural

IMDB (Part 1) : IMDB (Part 2) ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%/93%) (Part 1) : ROTTEN TOMATOES (NA/94%)

Part 1 Trailer : Part 2 Trailer

On 10/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, RIPPA said:

Okay I need to explain.

Yes - Batman: The Dark Knight is technically two movies. Both voters submitted ballots where it was listed as one. I originally asked each to submit corrected ballots but editing both ballots ended up being a detriment to both this AND all the other movies they voted for.

So I decided it to include it all as one because you can find a version where it is all released together.

Cheers, @RIPPA. Thanks to @New Blood for joining me in voting for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012-2013). We get a 55 year old Bruce Wayne who comes back as Batman, ten years after his last appearance. Like the book, I prefer the first half as it's smaller scale focusing on Bruce's return as the Batman to the bigger part two as Batman fights the Joker and Superman. Please check it out. Peter Well voices Batman. Christopher Drake does a great job with the score.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

edge_of_tomorrow

156) EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014)

Director: Doug Liman

170 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#19) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Control, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/90%) : METACRITIC (71/8.7)

My review from when I watched it which also pretty much sums up what the board discussion centered on

A film I wanted to see but I wasn't able to.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:21 PM, RIPPA said:

149) KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS (2016)

Director: Travis Knight

177 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/86%) : METACRITIC (84/8.1)

Same goes for this. Turned the air blue twice channel surfing finding it was halfway through the + hour channel airings.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:59 PM, RIPPA said:

138) THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)

Director: Christopher Nolan

188 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#34) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Mavs Fan, The Z, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/90%) : METACRITIC (78/8.2)

There's things I like in The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (Anne Hathway's Catwoman is the best thing bout the film, Bruce Wayne escaping the pit he rises from it whereas he fell down the hole in Batman Begins as a young child). There's things I don't. Batman's tenure is so short in The Dark Knight Trilogy and in this film pretty much everyone finds out his identity. Gordon finds out later than anyone and looks stupid for not working it out. It's definitely the weakest film from The Dark Knight Trilogy. Didn't help that expectations were so high following the previous entries, Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008).

Edited by The Natural

On 10/13/2020 at 7:55 PM, RIPPA said:

129) LA LA LAND (2016)

Director: Damien Chazelle

194 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Octopus, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/81%) : METACRITIC (94/8.4)

@Brian Fowler wrote

I've liked Emma Stone ever since Superbad (2007), she's the only redeeming part of that POS, Zombieland (2009), Easy A (2010) and The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014). I still haven't seen La La Land because musicals are probably my least favourite genre, that or romantic comedies.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:36 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

johnwick3

125) JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM (2019)

Director: Chad Stahelski

195 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/86%) : METACRITIC (73/7.7)

@Andy in Kansas wrote

The first and third John Wick films were available to me on streaming services but not the second so I didn't watch any of them.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:46 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

capamericaFA

123) CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (2011)

Director: Joe Johnston

197 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#19) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%/74%) : METACRITIC (66/7.2)

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) was #44 on my ballot, surprised I had it as low as that. The best things about the movie: Chris Evans in the title role, Hayley Atwell, the period setting in World War II, how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America and the ending. The time period and the ending are unique to comic book films as Captain America sacrifices himself crashing the plane to save lives…to wake up seventy years later after getting frozen finding out things have changed. Star Spangled Man with a Plan is one of the best pieces of music in the MCU. Robbed of the Academy Award for Best Original Song. The post-credits scene gave us our first teaser for Avengers Assemble too. I remember it leaking and seeing it before it was taken down. Opinion on this film is that you really like it or you really don’t. I do. I really liked it at the time and more since then

9 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Thanks for that. I find it interesting when it comes to trilogies how many make a ballot and the final countdown. Do you vote for all three or just the one representing the three to free up ballot spots. In past film projects here, I've tended to rank all three films in a trilogy: The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Dollars Trilogy, The Bourne Trilogy, Toy Story Trilogy and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Edited by The Natural

12 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I do really want to watch the rest of it at some point, but with everything going on this was not the time for me to try to watch end of the world stuff.

• Like 1

115) THE WORLD'S END (2013)

Director: Edgar Wright

206 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Octopus, EVA, KLOS, Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%/71%) : METACRITIC (81/7.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I never realized how the official trailer (both the US and UK version) was all HERE IS THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

Spoiler

first_reformed

112) FIRST REFORMED (2017)

Director: Paul Schrader

215 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Andy in Kansas - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/68%) : METACRITIC (85/7.5)

@Curt McGirt wrote

If you know what's good for you you'll go find a copy of First Reformed ASAP. That movie is incredible. After all these years and some of the last couple things he's done one might be wondering if Paul Schrader still has it. Don't doubt. Just go watch. I can't say anything about the plot but it's seriously heavy, Ethan Hawke kills it in what is probably his best role ever, and even Cedric the Entertainer shows up in a dramatic role and does a fine job. This is the Paul Schrader of Mishima and Affliction and Taxi Driver, this is the real deal.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7099-movies-julyaug-2018-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=783958

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

interstellar

111) INTERSTELLAR (2014)

Director: Christopher Nolan

215 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Hobo Joe - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (72%/86%) : METACRITIC (74/8.5)

@Technico Support xxx.

I'm bad for getting enjoyment out of Technico Support's hatred for Interstellar (2014). Thank you for them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EVA said:

I love Nolan, but I have watched INTERSTELLAR exactly once.  That one didn’t work for me at all.

Same here, I'd have it second bottom to The Prestige (2006). I know others really like that but I don't even though I'm a Christopher Nolan fan and magic ever since I was a boy. The 2010s for Nolan were so inferior to the 2000s with The Dark Knight (2008),  Memento (2000) and Batman Begins (2005).

Edited by The Natural