DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Spoiler
killer_joe

139) KILLER JOE (2011)

Director: William Friedkin

187 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: EVA, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/61%) : METACRITIC (62/6.7)

@AxB wrote

Killer Joe (Friedkin, 2011). This film is fucking nasty, man. McConaughey bringing the sleazy bastard, but with real charisma... the movie is cast and acted to make his character seem vastly more important and significant than anyone else, and everyone defers to him. So it's like he becomes the hero of the movie, even though his character is a dirty cop, contract killer, perverted probable rapist. So basically it's a movie with a black hole where the moral centre should be, which it more or less gives away itselfin the first three minutes. With a close up shot of Gina Gershon's naked bush, as she opens the door to her step-son minus panties. And when he says she shouldn't do that, she says she didn't know who he was, as if that's a reasonable explanation.

Also, it's violent.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3348-march-2015-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=344998

138) THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)

Director: Christopher Nolan

188 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#34) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Mavs Fan, The Z, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/90%) : METACRITIC (78/8.2)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

sicario

140) SICARIO (2015)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

187 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Sublime, Bill S Preston, EVA, Control - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/85%) : METACRITIC (82/8.1)

I didn't vote for Sicario, it's one that I had on my watch list at one point but it kinda got forgotten about before I ever got to it.

4 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I didn't vote for Sicario, it's one that I had on my watch list at one point but it kinda got forgotten about before I ever got to it.

Yup - it was Caley

Standard "you guys are next to each other on my Excel File" reason

And that I am old and have terrible ones

I already edited the original post

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

That's a clear omission on my part. Sorry, gang.

C'mon maaaaan. What a weird career William Friedkin has had.

Side note, I really should go back and see which movies I was the high vote on. I used to do that in the past.

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Side note, I really should go back and see which movies I was the high vote on. I used to do that in the past.

• Killer Joe
  • Sicario
  • The Duke of Burgundy
  • Two Days, One Night
  • Elle

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

C'mon maaaaan. What a weird career William Friedkin has had.

and enjoy some K Fried C!

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  • Killer Joe
  • Sicario
  • The Duke of Burgundy
  • Two Days, One Night
  • Elle

My dude.

Man I'm surprised about not being the high vote on Annihilation. I figured at best it would be back half kinda movie on most lists. Respect to Broken Lamp

A fun story about Annihilation: One of my least favorite things movies do is use cancer as a plot point. I've lost five family members to cancer, and I find most screenwriters just use it as a generic bogeyman and have no actual experience with it. Plus, it reminds me of all that good good trauma. So after this huge breakthrough with anxiety and depression, I go to the theater with a bunch of friends for the first time in what must be seven years. We sit at the very back of the theater. OF COURSE the first line in that movie is Natalie Portman saying "Cancer."

I let out a single loud "HAH."

we are not the only people in the theater.

my friends are very good sports for putting up with me in times like this.

as for the movie, it's excellent and seeing it so low makes me genuinely concerned for the placement of my #1.

EDIT: Oh speaking of my friends being good sports, since I was the highvote on Beyond The Black Rainbow I should share that story too: we watched it on halloween last year (they were all big into Mandy and so after they saw that we checked that out) and swear to god I was pumping my fists like I was at a concert during the ending of that movie, screaming and hooting and hollering. I liked the rest of it too, the whole aesthetic of the VHS Science Video Compound falling into limbo over one horrible experiment, but I sure felt like a freak for how I responded to the ending. I just love a good anticlimax.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 1

Trying to figure out what it says about me that I made this list, voted for that movie, and at no point did I think about the chicken leg scene. It wasn't until you said something that I went "Ohhhhh yeah that happened."

18 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

EDIT: Oh speaking of my friends being good sports, since I was the highvote on Beyond The Black Rainbow I should share that story too: we watched it on halloween last year (they were all big into Mandy and so after they saw that we checked that out) and swear to god I was pumping my fists like I was at a concert during the ending of that movie, screaming and hooting and hollering. I liked the rest of it too, the whole aesthetic of the VHS Science Video Compound falling into limbo over one horrible experiment, but I sure felt like a freak for how I responded to the ending. I just love a good anticlimax.

BtBR was one of those experiences where the movie could  do no wrong by me. Sometimes I just get so caught up in aesthetics and sound that all the other "metrics of quality" go out the window. Sometimes with movies I don't give a fuck about story or plot. Just make it look fucking cool.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

princesskaguya

148) THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA (Kaguyahime no monogatari) (2013)

Director: Isao Takahata

179 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: The Z, Bill S Preston

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%/90%) : METACRITIC (89/8.6)

@Jiji wrote

Despite being a big Ghibli guy, this one never really connected with  me. I feel like the whole concept is maybe a little too culturally alien to me. That ending, though, is one of the most nutso, devastatingly great endings.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

142) THE TOWN (2010)

Director: Ben Affleck

186 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Andy in Kansas, Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/85%) : METACRITIC (79/7.1)

If I had read that oral history I posted a little while back and rewatched this movie before the countdown, it totally would have made my list.

12 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Considering how many movies, including The Town, are inspired by Heat or just straight up lift shit from it, it feels right that you've found a way to introduce Mann into the conversation. 

In said oral history, one of the things they said was either Affleck (or one of the other filmmakers) said when they were making it they were gong "We don't want to rip off 'Heat', this is too much like 'Heat!" and then they went "Everyone loves 'Heat', let's just embrace it."

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

sicario

140) SICARIO (2015)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

187 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Caley, Bill S Preston, EVA, Control - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/85%) : METACRITIC (82/8.1)

Great flick, even better score.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

killer_joe

139) KILLER JOE (2011)

Director: William Friedkin

187 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#32) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: EVA, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/61%) : METACRITIC (62/6.7)

@AxB wrote

This was one crazy little movie, too.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

138) THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)

Director: Christopher Nolan

188 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#34) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Mavs Fan, The Z, Hobo Joe, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/90%) : METACRITIC (78/8.2)

I've said it before, but I still think this is the best Batman movie. I love the whole arc where it descends into utter hopelessness before the last arc. I mean, I like 'The Dark Knight' but I find the last third tiresome. Plus, I'm the only person in the world who thinks Bane was a more compulsively watchable villain than Ledger's Joker.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

vi_ar_bast

137) WE ARE THE BEST! (Vi ar bast!) (2013)

Director: Lukas Moodysson

188 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Execproducer, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/77%) : METACRITIC (87/7.6)

Great movie that I haven't seen in 7 years or so now, as the library doesn't have it and Netflix seems to have removed it.

Spoiler
swissarmy

136) SWISS ARMY MAN (2016)

Director: Dan Kwan/Daniel Scheinert

190 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Hobo Joe, KLOS, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (71%/72%) : METACRITIC (64/7.3)

@caley wrote

Swiss Army Man: Might just be my film of the year.  Paul Dano stars as Hank, a man stuck on a deserted island about to take his own life, when a corpse, Manny, (Daniel Radcliffe) washes up on the beach.  Hank and Manny become friends (Don't ask), and Hank  uses Manny's talents for flatulence (Again don't ask), among other things, to try to make his way back to society.  It's deeply weird, surprisingly touching, and full of wonder and awe.  I loved the way they weaved the score into the action, with characters singing along to it, or starting it.  I really loved this insane little movie.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5728-best-of-2016-film-poll-pimping-polldetails/&do=findComment&comment=613380

He also wrote a more detailed write up in the Pimping Thread - http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8389-20-10s-general-pimping-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1022616

Logan Lucky was one of the last things I watched before submitting my ballot so it is possible there were some recency bias going on.

Of course it is also possible it would be even higher if I got to watch it again.