DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

57 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

And with different partners to back up each one. I'm just draining 3's from the perimeter. 

Captain America Winter Soldier steals the ball. Dishes it to  Guardians of the Galaxy. @Execproducer Tries to get out in front.... ALLEY OOP TO BLACK PANTHER FOR THE JAM AND THE WIN. GAME. BLOUSES.

A strong start for Arthouse Cinema but they just couldn't hang on.

• Haha 2

BAH GAWD THAT’S CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR’S MUSIC

I think Before Midnight is the movie that dropped the furthest down my list based on my deciding to rewatch it for this. I’d thought coming in it was a mortal lock for my top ten. Not quite.

If Linklater does another, I’ll be there with bells on opening weekend. 

I really didn't see the appeal of Train to Busan.  It's...a zombie movie.  OK.  Fine.  But...top of the decade good?  Really?

I mostly like ridiculing it with the alternate title: I Never Sang for My Father (Because He Died in a Zombie Apocalypse)

Edited by Contentious C

Not really a fan of Before Midnight myself - Sunset was better - but it's one of those movies I can see others liking enough.  He's never been someone who really struck me as great, or, maybe more to the point, greater than his contemporaries.  I'm a little surprised it tapped out here.  I kind of considered the idea of what a select list - everyone who did 100 with at least 5 foreign films & 5 documentaries - would look like; got to think it's one of those movies that would end up higher as a result.

(Only double-posted because I accidentally quoted myself again and felt I should backfill this with actual content, so...)

Edited by Contentious C

35 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I really didn't see the appeal of Train to Busan.  It's...a zombie movie.  OK.  Fine.  But...top of the decade good?  Really?

I mostly like ridiculing it with the alternate title: I Never Sang for My Father (Because He Died in a Zombie Apocalypse)

You're in the wrong thread. You're thread is down there.

Richard Linklater is a fascinating director. I don't find him to be really exceptional, but that may be because he doesn't seem to play into any hype around him the way other "auteur"  directors do. He just does the work and then does the next one. It always feels like everytime he releases a film that achieves broad success, he tosses one or two more under the radar. And it's just a strange variety. Bad News Bears and School of Rock were succeful, he probably just kept making movies just like those. Instead he goes to something like A Scanner Darkly or Last Flag Flying. His great strength is to focus on the characters plainly and get the fuck out of the way. 

Years ago, when my wife and Is tarted dating we watched both of the first two Before films and they felt like our relationship. When we watched Before Midnight, years later with one child and another on the way - it felt very real and personal to us. To me any way. And there was something very reassuring about it. It was sad but "hopefull", we knew what it meant to not be those idyllic kids from before, and how life changes you. How you're identity isn't just tied to the other person. We felt like we somehow managed to learn this before Jesse and Celine did.

It was just the kind of adult inspection on relationships that we were ready for. I'm optimistic for those two fictional characters. I hope there's another. And maybe even one more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

blue_ruin

150) BLUE RUIN (2013)

Director: Jeremy Saulnier

177 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#26) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Jae, Control, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/79%) : METACRITIC (78/7.5)

@caleywrote

Watched Blue Ruin last night which was a pretty fabulous little film.  It stars Macon Blair (Whom I'd never seen before and reminds me a little of Stevie Janowski from 'Eastbound and Down') as Dwight, a wayward drifter at the start, sneaking into people's homes to take a bath, eating food out of dumpsters, living out of an abandoned car.  One day a police officer comes up to him and takes him downtown where they reveal "he" is getting out.   Immediately Dwight springs into action, putting gas in the car and a new battery in, and he drives to the jail.  Within hours of the man's release, Dwight is stalking him with evil intentions.  It sounds like the plot of your standard revenge thriller, but where this movie differs is the lead is basically an everyman and it shows what would happen if most everymen tried to carry out brual revenge. But while revenge is the motor for the entire plot, the movie isn't so much about the revenge, itself, as it is about how revenge just destroys the life of everyone involved.  It's bloody, it's incredibly intense, thoroughly well-acted (Including Buzz from 'Home Alone'!) and has the teeniest bit of subtle, dark humor running throughout.  Really quite a revelation.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3104-january-2015-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=303640

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Caley did not vote for Blue Ruin

• Like 1

Spoiler
princesskaguya

148) THE TALE OF THE PRINCESS KAGUYA (Kaguyahime no monogatari) (2013)

Director: Isao Takahata

179 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: The Z, Bill S Preston

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%/90%) : METACRITIC (89/8.6)

@Jiji wrote

Ghibli Fest 2019 wrapped up with The Tale of Princess Kaguya. I hadn't seen it before but it was so amazing. First time I've basically wept in a theatre. It was weirdly scheduled at a different theatre and supposed to be the English dub. Thank God they fucked up and played the subtitles version as I can't imagine the dub of such a quintessentially Japanese movie having the same weight to it. As amazing as Miyazaki is, Takahata directed two of my favourite 3 Ghibli movies between that and Only Yesterday. 

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23-your-all-purpose-anime-thread/&do=findComment&comment=944215

Kubo is one of the best children's animated features of the last decade for sure. Great story with an ending that doesn't perpetuate the idea of killing your enemy in order to not have a problem. Even UP killed the bad guy in the end. It gives a different more radical and empathetic solution. I watched kids get confused when it happened in the theater. The myth of redemptive violence is ingrained early.