DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

198) SUPER 8 (2011)

Director: J.J. Abrams

140 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/75%) : METACRITIC (72/7.3)

@RandomAct wrote

I just wanted to say that it took me 2 years, but I finally watched Super 8.  How I avoided spoilers that long is beyond me, but I wish someone had just said to me "dude, it's a wonderful film".  I know there are people that disliked it, but I couldn't love the movie any more.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70-movie-comment-catch-all-thread/&do=findComment&comment=16319

• Like 1

RE: COSMOPOLIS

It’s not very good, and I am both a Cronenberg and Canadian partisan. Some of the issue is the narrative, obviously, but DeLillo’s prose don’t translate well, without more finesse, into spoken dialogue.

I will say, though, that it’s probably the first movie that made me take Pattinson seriously.

Edited by Control

197) MARRIAGE STORY (2019)

Director: Noah Baumbach

140 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/85%) : METACRITIC (94/8.2)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Again most of the discussion of this movie is in the Oscar thread

44 minutes ago, Control said:

RE: COSMOPOLIS

[...] but DeLillo’s prose don’t translate well, without more finesse, into spoken dialogue.

See, this is why I loved Cosmopolis. The clunky dialog totally fits in line with the nature of tech bro adulthood, where every gesture towards maturity and deep thought feels more like two kids stacked up in a trench coat trying to get into an R rated movie. There's ideas inside what they're saying that grasp at reality but it's so far gone and disconnected and disrupted that it can't work. It's philosophy as a broad puddle, vast and shallow, unable to support any weight. I feel Pattinson's degradation during the course of the movie is the result of the character trying to dive into this puddle and just stomping all over it.

totally understand why it's not for everyone tho

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

196) MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011)

Director: Woody Allen

141 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Octopus

I liked Midnight in Paris well enough, but this must have been someone else.

14 minutes ago, The Z said:

I liked Midnight in Paris well enough, but this must have been someone else.

Well you are stuck with it now

Yeah - I forgot to update the name since you were the High vote on Marriage Story which the previous movie

It will be updated to reflect the high vote is BP

Strange to remember there was a time in the not-too-distant past when Corey Stoll had enough hair to play Hemingway. What a decade! 

Now that y'all brought up Don Johnson, I was surprised looking up his filmography just now. He had a couple high-profile projects last year with Knives Out and the Watchmen series back-to-back that reminded me that he's still around and still awesome. But he's been working pretty consistently. And I just realized who his daughter is. This is a trip! 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

197) MARRIAGE STORY (2019)

Director: Noah Baumbach

140 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#22) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/85%) : METACRITIC (94/8.2)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Again most of the discussion of this movie is in the Oscar thread

I really liked this one but when it came down to make cuts to my list, it was my fourth favourite Baumbach movie of the decade (I like 'Frances Ha' and LOVE 'The Meyerowitz Stories' and 'While We're Young' more than just about anyone...) so I ultimately left it off. I think the best discussion of the film, for me, was when I asked my sister about it and she said "Well, first off you should know that he plays a theater DIE-rec-tore and she plays an actress, so there's that" and once you know that, going in, it leaves you ready for the amount of pretentiousness you're going to get from both characters and the screenplay. That said, there is one scene that is as funny as almost anything I saw last year and has one of the most understatedly devastating endings of 2019, as well. 

19 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

And I just realized who his daughter is. This is a trip! 

Are you talking about Dakota or the one who is a model... Grace????

194) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION (2015)

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

142 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/87%) : METACRITIC (75/7.9)

• Like 1

Spoiler
coldwar

193) COLD WAR (Zimna wojna) (2018)

Director: Pawel Pawlikowski

142 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/81%) : METACRITIC (90/7.9)

@Andy in Kansas wrote

Cold War (2018)

A fleet-footed, jet-setting romance that travels Europe over fifteen years, Cold War shows the lavish indulgence and freedom of movement enjoyed by all artists of the Eastern Bloc during the middle of the twentieth century.  Or at least those lucky people who happen to know a guy who knows a guy who happens to be a senior party official who can get you off the hook for defecting. Beautifully shot. Good music. Also, folk music. Good dancing. Also, folk dancing.

Clocks in at less than ninety minutes, but the vignette-style narrative makes it feel even shorter.

Probably better than Green Book. Still haven't seen it.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of five.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7864-2019-q3-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=902999

Need to explain something - the last two movies (MI Rogue Nation & Cold War) finished exactly the same. 2 votes. High vote being #29 and the other vote being #31

So I had to invoke the "magic" tiebreaker.

In this case, I used which movie didn't have a voter who is currently banned

• Haha 1

Spoiler
3billboards

191) THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MISSOURI (2017)

Director: Martin McDonagh

143 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#37) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, KLOS, New Blood : HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/87%) : METACRITIC (88/7.8)

Red Band Trailer - NSFW (but only due to language)

Contagion having a moment this year was really something. 

If I submitted a longer list, Rogue Nation definitely would have made the cut. Nice to have an aging action/spy franchise that can still confidently crank out great instalments. James Bond can go kick dirt. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

The Mission Impossible franchise was one of the ones I was referring too earlier when I said I couldn't remember which movie was what.

In fact - I had to double check IMDB to figure out the order and realized that I still haven't seen the most "recent" one (since that one was 2018 - recent is a relevant term)

Rebecca Ferguson is nice

53 minutes ago, Control said:

Can’t believe you banned the Natural you monster.

Did not see COLD WAR or FORBIDDEN ROOM and feel like I let the high voters down.

When you mentioned your Canadian filmmaking bias I thought "Great! The Forbidden Room is going to make it for sure!", so I was half right. I join you in feeling like I let down the two voters for Cold War which I also haven't seen yet, along with whoever may have voted for another Pawlikowski film that was just a straight up omission on my part.