DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I’ve literally never heard of COLD IN JULY before right this instant, and after watching the trailer, I’m wondering how that’s possible.  That looks squarely in my southern noir wheelhouse.

Edited by EVA

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The board reminded me - via my own post - that Billy Gunn and Road Dogg are fucking in The Other Guys

I knew they were close but not that close.

• Like 1

Spoiler
DutbM1KWsAE0zEV

200) FREE SOLO (2018)

Director: Jimmy Chin/Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi

139 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/93%) : METACRITIC (83/8.1)

@Andy in Kansas wrote

Free Solo (2018)

• Interesting subject matter with an aloof, enigmatic personality at the center
  • Documentary crew interrogates the effect they may be having on the action -- with life or death consequences
  • Love interest wrestles with the high-risk activity she can't talk her man out of
  • Beautifully filmed, with some nail-biting moves from beginning to end
  • Lots of in-depth (for the casual viewer) explanations of the difficulties posed by certain parts of El Cap

All contributing to an expertly-crafted narrative. If you haven't had a chance to see this yet, it's one of the better things waiting for you on Disney+.

⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of four

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8022-2019-q4-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=941521

Free Solo might be my "first out" movie as the only reason it didn't make my ballot was I didn't finish it. I started it and enjoyed what I was able to see but ran out of time.

It is on Disney+ for those that have it

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

205) THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Director: Guillermo del Toro

136 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Control, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/72%) : METACRITIC (87/7.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - No real reviews just a lot of passive aggressive comments in the Oscars thread from that year

I moved this all over my ballot and I forgot I ended up having it that high. If I did my list today it would probably drop again. This movie is one I run hot and cold on depending on the day/mood.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

There's maybe 2-3 I would have considered on my ballot but that's about it.

I fully admit I've probably screwed up the dignity of this list by voting in most of the Marvel movies (Thor 2 was waaaay down my list) because, to be honest, those are the majority of what I've watched in the last 10 years.

Yeah, half the fun is griping about what did or didn't make the cut. Those Marvel movies are going to increasingly receive a lot of votes so they will be very much part of the dignity of the list. I've seen all but maybe six of them and I've seen everything DC and enjoyed it all.  

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

the-guest-poster-uk-600x450

207) THE GUEST (2014)

Director: Adam Wingard

135 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/69%) : METACRITIC (76/8.7)

@twiztor reviewed this as part of Halloween Havoc 2015 (Spoiler Warnings)

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4202-halloween-havoic-vi/&do=findComment&comment=442227

Whoops, this should have been on my list. I loved the way

Spoiler

the movie starts out with you kinda rooting for the guy, like when he overly-violently stands up for the kid getting bullied, then gradually just gets worse and worse to where you finally have to go "Ok, I guess he's not the good guy anymore..."

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

cold_in_july_ver3

204) COLD IN JULY (2014)

Director: Jim Mickle

136 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#31) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (83%/67%) : METACRITIC (73/7.3)

I bought this at a closing of a video rental place, after seeing a recommendation of it here (I think), sat down to watch it and got about twenty minutes in and went "Guy shoots stranger in home, vengeful relative comes for revenge...seen this before" and then the DVD stopped working so I just shut it off. It wasn't until some time later that I  decided to give it another go and was stunned when it went in a completely different direction than I expected and, thinking about it now, makes me wonder why I'm not watching it right now. It's so good.

Reveal hidden contents

MOV_4d08c26e_b

202) THE OTHER GUYS (2010)

Director: Adam McKay

139 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#40) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, EVA, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (78%/60%) : METACRITIC (64/6.8)

This one will always be maybe a tad high on any list I do (And believe me, I already knocked it down a few spots from where it COULD have been on my list) partially because of my first memory of seeing it which was at a Drive-In with my sister, brother-in-law, best friend and his then-fiancee and it was the later movie, so you're already starting to kind of flag and get a little punchy and I really didn't care to see it as I'd already started to feel a bit 'diminishing returns' on Will Ferrell movies but I thoroughly enjoyed this and still do: a hilarious skewering of the hero cop movies and when you sit back and look...what a cast! Ferrell, Wahlberg, Michael Keaton, Steve Coogan, Bobby Cannavale, The Rock, Samuel L. Jackson, Eva Mendes, Anne Heche, Damon Wayans Jr., Rob Riggle, the CEO of Dunder Mifflin, Rob Huebel, and amidst all that, I never noticed that...

The board reminded me - via my own post - that Billy Gunn and Road Dogg are fucking in The Other Guys

I honestly read this and went "How have I never noticed the New Age Outlaws never mind being in, but having sex in 'The Other Guys'!"

Edited by caley

Reveal hidden contents

DutbM1KWsAE0zEV

200) FREE SOLO (2018)

Director: Jimmy Chin/Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi

139 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/93%) : METACRITIC (83/8.1)

@Andy in Kansas wrote

This one I think would have rated pretty high on this last had more eyeballs watched it.  It's such a gripping documentary. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Control said:

COLD IN JULY reminds me that Don Johnson had a surprisingly good decade.

As I was making the Cold in July post - I definitely said to myself "Man - Don Johnson really has had an under appreciated career"