DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Its getting to the point where all the Marvel movies are turning into Shawshank Redemption and I am giddy

There's maybe 2-3 I would have considered on my ballot but that's about it.

Just looked it up, and I'm floored that Iron Man 2 was this decade. I'm assuming Iron Man 3 made the cut on based on Shane Black's charms and high votes for The Nice Guys are forthcoming.

Still, that could be nearly twenty slots occupied by MCU movies, which is wild. And that's not even counting votes for X-Men stuff or Man of Steel or *vomits a little in mouth* Joker...

And it's not like there isn't an MCU movie on my ballot. I like those movies!

Yeah, you're right to be giddy.

I could have had a ballot bigger than 65 movies if I had included all the Marvel movies I thought of when considering but didn't want to just load it up with them. I included some yes but definitely left plenty off.

11 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Just looked it up, and I'm floored that Iron Man 2 was this decade. I'm assuming Iron Man 3 made the cut on based on Shane Black's charms and high votes for The Nice Guys are forthcoming.

tenor.gif?itemid=15244178

I love the Shane Black-ness of IM3, but I also really don’t like the Marvel-ness of it all. The Mandarin thing is a perfect distillation of that conflict.  On one hand, I thought the reveal was hilarious at the time and Kingsley is still funny to me now.  And I always appreciate a solid “You should be less afraid of these media-created boogie men and more afraid of the suits behind it all” story.  On the other hand, doing away with a compelling, iconic villain just so they could do yet ANOTHER “evil business guy” and have a bunch of cartoons fight each other in the end...that part of it sucked.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Its getting to the point where all the Marvel movies are turning into Shawshank Redemption and I am giddy

#NotAllMarvel -I'm not against all of them, they're not all bad. There are some I'm not even going to argue against. I even voted for one, I think, and even that one on a second viewing slipped mightily. And now that I think about it, I probably should have taken it off and voted for a different one that I just remembered.

It's not really a judgment on the people who voted for it. I like goofy ass movies that people hate too. I'm no better. It's more a realization that if these movies are on the countdown then just about all of them would have to be. I guess I'm not ready for Thor: Ragnarok Top 50 film of the Decade.

I'm letting myself get worked up by the silliness of lists.

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

the-guest-poster-uk-600x450

207) THE GUEST (2014)

Director: Adam Wingard

135 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/69%) : METACRITIC (76/8.7)

@twiztor reviewed this as part of Halloween Havoc 2015 (Spoiler Warnings)

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4202-halloween-havoic-vi/&do=findComment&comment=442227

Happy to be the high vote for this. Embarrassed by the number of you that left this off altogether.

4 minutes ago, Control said:

Happy to be the high vote for this. Embarrassed by the number of you that left this off altogether.

Eh, it was good for a psycho stranger movie but it didn't re-invent the wheel or anything. Maybe if we were doing a top 500 ballot.

I doubt any of you seriously think this way but just for the sake of it - 21 of the 23 MCU movies were eligible. I can assure you that all 23 did not make the list.

I wish more people voted for big dumb movies since my #9 (non-comic book) one didn't make it. So I will hold that against all of you.

Now - specifically about Thor - it pretty much was always going to make the countdown due to JL having it so high. That being said - it would have kept moving down my ballot as I watched more things. If I had done a full 100 (my ballot was only 60) - it would have probably been in the 70s or 80s I guess. So still on but probably more in the 240 range.

• Like 2

Just now, odessasteps said:

The real shame will be how many non WW DC movies make the list. 

You could have submitted a ballot and perhaps changed that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I doubt any of you seriously think this way but just for the sake of it - 21 of the 23 MCU movies were eligible. I can assure you that all 23 did not make the list.

I wish more people voted for big dumb movies since my #9 (non-comic book) one didn't make it. So I will hold that against all of you.

Now - specifically about Thor - it pretty much was always going to make the countdown due to JL having it so high. That being said - it would have kept moving down my ballot as I watched more things. If I had done a full 100 (my ballot was only 60) - it would have probably been in the 70s or 80s I guess. So still on but probably more in the 240 range.

Just for guessing sake, I’ll take a stab that 3 Marvel movies didn’t make the list, and they are Thor 2, Ironman 2, and Ant-Man 2 (which is a movie I enjoy but have seen nobody else be really high on).

I am also regretting not making a ballot, even though I am woefully behind in most movie watching this decade, just to make sure Into the Spiderverse got a 1 vote.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Eh, it was good for a psycho stranger movie but it didn't re-invent the wheel or anything. Maybe if we were doing a top 500 ballot.

Oh I suppose you exclusively listed films that reinvented the wheel, did you!?

Just now, Control said:

Oh I suppose you exclusively listed films that reinvented the wheel, did you!?

He voted for Jodorowsky's Dune so clearly not

• Haha 2

205) THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017)

Director: Guillermo del Toro

136 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Control, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/72%) : METACRITIC (87/7.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - No real reviews just a lot of passive aggressive comments in the Oscars thread from that year

203) CREED (2015)

Director: Ryan Coogler

138 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#27) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/89%) : METACRITIC (82/8.1)

@Reed wrote

Creed: Yeah, I was blown away by this.  It was wonderful.

Micheal B. Jordan not being nominated for an Oscar is shocking. The running scene alone, man. He took a cheesy, cliched '80s action movie trope that everyone rolls their eyes at and turned it into something stunningly raw and real.

Stallone is amazing too. The guy will never do Hamlet or King Lear, but that doesn't mean the emotions he shows aren't still every bit as valid.

Man, this movie should have swept the board at the academy awards. That it didn't is either due to the voters being dimwits or everyone being snobby about sports films.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4605-movie-february-2016-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=484490