DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Thus concludes the run of 4 straight movies The Z voted for

Meanwhile - I find it really weird that the only time I see Prometheus mentioned on this board is in Contentious' thread.

It has to be 1 or 2 things.

1) It was a 2012 movie and this version of the board started mid-2013 so any discussion/reviews were lost to time.

or

2) no one can fucking spell

EDIT

Turns out it was 3) I am an idiot.

That being said - finding a POSITIVE mention... good luck

Spoiler
elle_ver4

217) ELLE (2016)

Director: Paul Verhoeven

124 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/73%) : METACRITIC (89/7.3)

@jaedmc wrote... well I don't want to spoil the post...

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5686-january-2017-movie-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=606410

• Like 1

I'm not surprised I'm in the minority of people who liked Prometheus, but I thought the Planet of the Apes trilogy would get more love here.

A rare trilogy where all three movies are good and each sequel is better than the previous film, the third one being a near perfect movie in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, The Z said:

I'm not surprised I'm in the minority of people who liked Prometheus, but I thought the Planet of the Apes trilogy would get more love here.

A rare trilogy where all three movies are good and each sequel is better than the previous film, the third one being a near perfect movie in my opinion.

There are definitely people who like the Apes movies (based on my brief search) - the issue was more that none of them submitted ballots

Elle's on Prime! I'm coming up aces with the ones I haven't seen. 

Re: The Apes movies, I get the sense War was the least well-received of the new ones. Wouldn't be surprised to see the other two rank higher. 

Watched Fences last night. I knew the actors were going to get to feast, and that part didn't disappoint me. But the writing was so good, and I assume adhered so closely to the play, that it got me interested in the rest of the Philadelphia Cycle. I'd say any movie with that kind of reverence to it's source material that has the effect of sending you in that direction is doing something right. I shouldn't have slept on this for so long. I had it pegged as skippable Oscar bait, and I was way wrong.

Next up: 20 Feet From Stardom! 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

best-movie-poster-2014-the-rover

216) THE ROVER (2014)

Director: David Michod

Yay, one of at least two dystopian films set in Australia that are going to show up here. It is probably a film I could have easily dropped in favor of something else but glad to see it make the cut. It is a nice little meditation on the basic nature of human society with just enough violence peppered in to keep it interesting to most.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

218) PROMETHEUS (2012)

Director: Ridley Scott

123 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#35) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (73%/68%) : METACRITIC (64/6.5)

I didn’t vote for Prometheus!?

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

What a great review I wrote.

Reminds me of the time my first ex-wife and I saw Shine with only four little old ladies in the audience. Senior citizens are the worst. I feel like I can say that because I'll be one in slightly over a decade. If your "review" would have put me off, the trailer hooked me and it is added to my watch-list along with Super, Goodbye to Language, and Killing of a Sacred Deer. Fruitvale Station is also something I need to get off my pile of shame.

27 minutes ago, Control said:

I didn’t vote for Prometheus!?

Nope - you did have 7 other movies that started with the letter P though

(I just double checked)

Well this next batch of movies might be the most irritating stretch of movies for some.

And of course - it has to be the one where REDACTED has 4 straight movies

Since one finally came up - I am not finding quotes for the big comic book movies. There is an entire sub-folder where they have all been beaten to death in.

8 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I did not vote for that movie...

Hehehe - you are correct

It was JL who did, who is right next to you on my excel file. I just misread the headers.

Its funny because I was legit like "Boy - I didn't think he would vote for that"