DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They (and the Mariners since Seattle was paying a portion of it) get the money back and can spend it foolishly elsewhere.

Here is an article from 2015 when talking about Josh Hamilton

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ez33km/how-mlb-profits-from-players-with-addictions

About what a bad idea this is (especially for drugs that aren't PEDs)

I hadn't really given much thought to the owners having an incentive to snitch on their players.  I did, however, think it was wrong to "reward" an owner whose player messes up.  The other leagues absolutely have it right - send the money to charity or to the player assistance funds.

• Like 1

Luis Rojas will keep his job in Queens.  

Sandy Alderson is "taking over the responsibilities" of President of Baseball Ops of the Metropolitans. 

I'm assuming building Theo Epstein a solid gold house near the stadium is just going to take a little time.

• Like 1

I don't see Theo taking a job with another owner who is probably going to be as shifty as his last one. If he returns to baseball in a GM or President of Baseball Ops role, then I see that happening with a team that doesn't have as large of a spotlight on them, but also has the resources to let him build a winner.

My guess is that maybe he tries to take some stake of ownership in a team if it becomes available or he does whatever F1/soccer/sports thing that John Henry and Billy Beane were looking at getting into.

Also, Jed Hoyer signed a 5 year contract to be the Cubs President of Baseball Operations where Jed will likely have 4 frustrating years of trying to run a baseball team with Tom Ricketts as the owner before he too says fuck this and bolts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Kyle Schwarber and Albert Almora both just flat out released from the Cubs. Wow.

He was horrible this year, and really doesn't get on base enough, but that's still very surprising. 

So the Phillies have let teams know they are willing to trade Zack Wheeler

That promoted Philly's owner to announce that he wouldn't trade Wheeler for Babe Ruth... which I mean I wouldn't trade for a dead guy either but yeah... more proof that owners should not be seen or heard

• Haha 1

MLB has sent a memo to all teams telling them to not plan on there being Universal DH in 2021

Now that is not to say it won't happen but MLB and the MLBPA basically haven't even started negotiating yet (They are expected to start next week as MLBPA finally got its new player council elected) and NL clubs were all "WTF??? We need to plan"

As already been seen - MLB is using the Universal DH as a bargaining chip as they already tried to get the PA to agree to it in exchange for another year of expanded playoffs.

• Like 1

The White Sox are bringing back the man who helped started their rebuild... Adam Eaton

1 year, $7 million (there is a $8.5 million club option)

I am taking this as a thank you to him for the Nats stupidly thinking he was worth giving up Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez (plus the third guy they got, Dane Dunning, they just traded for Lance Lynn)