Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/27/21????


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Bauer becomes the first Reds pitcher to win Cy Young

They were one of four active franchises to never have won the award and the only one founded prior to 1961

The teams still seeking their first - Texas Rangers (hence the 1961 bit), Colorado Rockies and Miami Marlins

three teams that combined are not as old as the Reds

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of times - theoretically - it was just their pitcher running into a magical year from someone else

Tom Seaver was 2nd to Fernando Mania (In fact - Seaver and Fernando had the same # of 1st place votes). Seaver lost by three points (in another cursed shortened season like this one)

The other one was Danny Jackson in 88. Normally 23 wins and 15 complete games is the stuff that writers touch themselves too. Problem was Orel Hershiser also had 23 wins, 8 shutouts and that whole 59 consecutive scoreless innings thing

They had a few other 2nd place finishes but none of them were "Oh they were robbed"

And also - the Marlins should have one since Kevin Brown SHOULD have won in 1996. But the voting was done with 1996 eyes and not 2020 eyes. (I mean Dontrelle Willis had a case in 2005 too but that isn't as bad as the 96 vote).

The moral of the story is baseball writers are stupid and awards are stupid

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

A couple of times - theoretically - it was just their pitcher running into a magical year from someone else

Tom Seaver was 2nd to Fernando Mania (In fact - Seaver and Fernando had the same # of 1st place votes). Seaver lost by three points (in another cursed shortened season like this one)

The other one was Danny Jackson in 88. Normally 23 wins and 15 complete games is the stuff that writers touch themselves too. Problem was Orel Hershiser also had 23 wins, 8 shutouts and that whole 59 consecutive scoreless innings thing

They had a few other 2nd place finishes but none of them were "Oh they were robbed"

And also - the Marlins should have one since Kevin Brown SHOULD have won in 1996. But the voting was done with 1996 eyes and not 2020 eyes. (I mean Dontrelle Willis had a case in 2005 too but that isn't as bad as the 96 vote).

The moral of the story is baseball writers are stupid and awards are stupid

And Mario Soto was robbed in '83 to John Denny's out of his head season.  Not saying Denny was the worst choice, but Soto had a good argument.  And GOD were the '83 Reds REALLY REALLY shitty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EdA said:

And Mario Soto was robbed in '83 to John Denny's out of his head season.  Not saying Denny was the worst choice, but Soto had a good argument.  And GOD were the '83 Reds REALLY REALLY shitty.

Denny was better that year.  Not by a ton but he was better.

The Reds really haven't had anybody that was robbed, just a little bit of bad luck.  Also, IMHO, Nolan Ryan was a better pick than Tom Seaver in 1981.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Denny was better that year.  Not by a ton but he was better.

The Reds really haven't had anybody that was robbed, just a little bit of bad luck.  Also, IMHO, Nolan Ryan was a better pick than Tom Seaver in 1981.

Robbed was too harsh.   My bad.  Denny was a perfectly acceptable choice.  He gave up less Hits, Walks and Earned Runs.  He also lead Soto in WAR and ERA+.

Soto threw 31 more innings, with 15(!) more complete games and 103 more K's.  Plus Denny was pitching on a pennant winning club and the 83 Reds...were not that.

But like you said, Soto was another case of a Reds pitcher who had bad luck with another pitcher being a (even if a smidge) better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy that Darvish came in 2nd place. Dude fell down so far after failing in the postseason and then signing with the Cubs and now he's bounced back well. He's also pretty funny on Twitter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim Ng's long wait is finally over

The Marlins are hiring her as GM thus making her the first woman GM of a men's team in any of the major North America sports

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Clevinger worked out a two year deal with the Padres that buys out his remaining arb years

Mike Clevinger also needs Tommy John and will miss the entire 2021 season

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I blame him. All he's been told for the last three years is that the team has no money, even though Ricketts is making money hand over fist since he owns nearly the entire area around Wrigley Field now. I think Ricketts got his championship way sooner than they thought, they have the attendance, and there's no need to keep spending or making deals. 

All told, Epstein is probably one of the best baseball executives in history. I'm thankful for his time with the Cubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can't say I blame him. All he's been told for the last three years is that the team has no money, even though Ricketts is making money hand over fist since he owns nearly the entire area around Wrigley Field now. I think Ricketts got his championship way sooner than they thought, they have the attendance, and there's no need to keep spending or making deals. 

All told, Epstein is probably one of the best baseball executives in history. I'm thankful for his time with the Cubs.

Ugh. I would be so fucking annoyed if Ricketts turned into Fred Wilpon Dos Mil, with no incentive to spend or improve them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete said:

Ugh. I would be so fucking annoyed if Ricketts turned into Fred Wilpon Dos Mil, with no incentive to spend or improve them.

They had a ton of contracts come off the books now that this season is over, freeing up something like $60 million, and Ricketts is still saying there's no money. Now the rumors are that no one is safe and they're going to be trading away nearly anyone with value - Hendricks, Baez, Rizzo, KB, Schwarber, Happ, etc.

I get trading KB because he's going to want too much money and he just doesn't produce that much. Trading away Schwarber also kinda makes sense unless the NL gets the DH. Everyone else though? That's just insanity, but with Theo leaving now, I wouldn't doubt it happens with him getting out before the purge happens.

Tom Ricketts sucks.

EDIT: The $60 million was my estimate from now until 2022. It's actually closer to $80 million.

Edited by Craig H
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the general sense - most teams are all WE WILL TRADE ANYONE!!! PLEASE SAVE US BEFORE WE HAVE TO PAY PEOPLE MONEY!!!! this offseason.

There is a reason I have seen stories about at least a half dozen teams open to trading pretty much their entire roster

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In the general sense - most teams are all WE WILL TRADE ANYONE!!! PLEASE SAVE US BEFORE WE HAVE TO PAY PEOPLE MONEY!!!! this offseason.

There is a reason I have seen stories about at least a half dozen teams open to trading pretty much their entire roster

 

In this case, it's not just talk. I'm watching Theo's press conference now and in no uncertain terms he's talking about how there's going to be a lot of turnover and how it would be best for the team to have Jed in place going forward since he's been there this whole time, as opposed to himself when he would normally be done in 2022. They moved the time table up for Theo's departure because of what they're looking at doing this offseason.

Now, I guess it could be talk, but this all sounds like a fire sale to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And Robinson Cano just got busted AGAIN for PEDs

162 game suspension this time

Oh and he still has 3 more years on that hideous contract of his

EDIT - I should note that he forfeits the $24 million he was supposed to get this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Robinson Cano just got busted AGAIN for PEDs

162 game suspension this time

Oh and he still has 3 more years on that hideous contract of his

EDIT - I should note that he forfeits the $24 million he was supposed to get this year

What happens to the salary?  Do the Mets just not pay him or does the dough go into an account somewhere so the Mets don't get "rewarded" for employing a PED guy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tabe said:

What happens to the salary?  Do the Mets just not pay him or does the dough go into an account somewhere so the Mets don't get "rewarded" for employing a PED guy?

He just forfeits the salary. Wondering if they can void the contract over this (doubt it) but the smart money is that he gets popped again and gets the lifetime ban so it's probably moot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tabe said:

What happens to the salary?  Do the Mets just not pay him or does the dough go into an account somewhere so the Mets don't get "rewarded" for employing a PED guy?

They (and the Mariners since Seattle was paying a portion of it) get the money back and can spend it foolishly elsewhere.

Here is an article from 2015 when talking about Josh Hamilton

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ez33km/how-mlb-profits-from-players-with-addictions

About what a bad idea this is (especially for drugs that aren't PEDs)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Robinson Cano just got busted AGAIN for PEDs

162 game suspension this time

Oh and he still has 3 more years on that hideous contract of his

EDIT - I should note that he forfeits the $24 million he was supposed to get this year

I really can't thank the Mets enough for taking this dumpster fire off the Mariners hands. Even if the guys we got in return never pan out at all, Ms totally won that trade. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 1:20 PM, Craig H said:

They had a ton of contracts come off the books now that this season is over, freeing up something like $60 million, and Ricketts is still saying there's no money. Now the rumors are that no one is safe and they're going to be trading away nearly anyone with value - Hendricks, Baez, Rizzo, KB, Schwarber, Happ, etc.

I get trading KB because he's going to want too much money and he just doesn't produce that much. Trading away Schwarber also kinda makes sense unless the NL gets the DH. Everyone else though? That's just insanity, but with Theo leaving now, I wouldn't doubt it happens with him getting out before the purge happens.

Tom Ricketts sucks.

EDIT: The $60 million was my estimate from now until 2022. It's actually closer to $80 million.

Make that $80 million and counting...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...