DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Marlins are parting ways with President of Baseball Ops Michael Hill

Edit - A small clarification. Hill's contract expired. There were talks about a new contract but those obviously didn't go anywhere

My understanding is he was one of the final holdovers from the previous ownership.  Jeter basically had no intention of keeping him as his remake of Miami is now nearing completion. 

On 10/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, Lawful Metal said:

So what's the market for George Springer?  Since he's a "cheater" does that mean teams won't want to sign him (Please let that be true)?  I don't want him in a Yankees or Red Sox hat. 

Springer is gonna get a QO which he most likely will reject - that means he thinks he will be able to get a multi year deal that is around $20 million a year.

Considering most teams are gonna cry poverty this offseason - that market is gonna be tiny.

You won’t have to worry about the Yanks. They reportedly want to stay under the luxury tax threshold and they already have more outfielders than they can play.

Back to Springer directly - he SHOULD take the QO and then try again next offseason when theoretically teams will be more willing to spend money but players (and agents) are stubborn 

He won't have any trouble getting $20m/yr. The average salary for CFs in 2020 was $35.5m. Springer had 14 homers and a 140 OPS+ this year. He should easily get 4/80. 

It’s not that he wouldn’t be worth it - it’s because the expectation is that it is gonna to be brutal for the players due to all teams claiming they have no money to due the economic impact of the pandemic

I’m sure some deals will be around but if guys are looking for seven year deals with giant AAVs... well good luck

On 10/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, Lawful Metal said:

So what's the market for George Springer?  Since he's a "cheater" does that mean teams won't want to sign him (Please let that be true)?  I don't want him in a Yankees or Red Sox hat. 

Hope so. Astros getting him back for less than expected would rule. I think there’s not many teams with a lot to spend with $$ uncertainty for the 2021 season, draft pick loss attached and a big 2022 free agent pool plus the “cheating” thing.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Considering how many clubs are trying to interview AJ Hinch for their vacant manager positions - I think you guys are overstating the "cheating" aspect

Hypocrites.

Mad as hell about cheating but sure do want our dudes on your teams.  Fuckers.

34 years ago today: The greatest sports moment of my entire life happened:

If El Sid isn't in the Mets HOF just for his performance in this game alone that needs to change in 2021. 

• Like 1

The sale of the Mets to Steve Cohen may hit a snag.  

The city of New York has oversight power on Citi Field because it sits in a city park.  Mayor Di Blasio objects to Cohen, who's hedge fund was fined a LOT of money via assorted shittiness.  

It probably won't kill the deal, but it's notable that it's not a done deal. 

Meanwhile - in Ohio - the Indians just dumped Brad Hand.

Now the Indians are cheap to begin with but in a sign of this offseason

In a rather stunning move, the Indians have placed closer Brad Hand on outright waivers, Zack Meisel of The Athletic reports (via Twitter). It’s a pure cost-cutting transaction from Cleveland, with the hope that another team places a claim on the left-hander, who has a $10MM club option on his current contract. Any club that claims Hand would be able to pick up that option and retain him for the 2021 season at that $10MM price.

Per Meisel, the Indians had planned to decline the option, which would’ve required paying a $1MM buyout. They’ll decline it if he goes unclaimed. However, Cleveland would stand to save that $1MM if another team makes a claim, which seems possible given Hand’s excellent 2020 season and generally strong track record.

So they legit did it just to save a million bucks

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The sale of the Mets to Steve Cohen may hit a snag.  

The city of New York has oversight power on Citi Field because it sits in a city park.  Mayor Di Blasio objects to Cohen, who's hedge fund was fined a LOT of money via assorted shittiness.  

It probably won't kill the deal, but it's notable that it's not a done deal. 

It is entertaining to me how Di Blasio wants to make sure that every single person in NYC hates him

Of course - the way the NY Post reported it "Cohen is a terrible human being because he plead guilty to insider trading"

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh thank god.  I was worried the White Sox were actually going to be good next year.  Perfect of Reinsdorf to blow everything up before it even has a chance. 

And to tie everything in the past few posts together in a nice and pretty bow: Reinsdorf is the guy attempting to rally the other owners to reject Cohen. I hope he gets approved and then sells Michael Jordan a Jay Z sized piece of the team just to rub that clown's nose in shit.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

And to tie everything in the past few posts together in a nice and pretty bow: Reinsdorf is the guy attempting to rally the other owners to reject Cohen. I hope he gets approved and then sells Michael Jordan a Jay Z sized piece of the team just to rub that clown's nose in shit.

Word has it that Reinsdorf is trying to coax Harold Baines out of retirement...

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Word has it that Reinsdorf is trying to coax Harold Baines out of retirement...

"Let me call Minnie Minoso"

"Mr Reinsdorf, he dead"

"What about Hawk Harrelson???"

"He braindead"

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, sabremike said:

"Let me call Minnie Minoso"

"Mr Reinsdorf, he dead"

"What about Hawk Harrelson???"

"He braindead"

I just knew that the Hawk had some outstanding qualities to manage the Pale Hose.

• Haha 1

In news surprising to no one - pretty much all options are getting declined

The only ones I can think of that were picked up were Zach Britton's (and I mentioned the weird circumstances of that one somewhere on this forum) and Starlin Marte's which I mentioned earlier this week