DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

Offseason begins this evening for only half the league.

We start with the news that the Red Sox will not bring back Ron Roenicke for next season

EDIT - so that means that there are at least two openings since Detroit needs a permanent manager too

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

AJ Hinch and Alex Cora are the leading contenders for the job in Detroit. 

Well, at least the Tigers will get a lot better at, uh, "guessing" what pitches are coming.  Very disappointing for this fan if they hire either guy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God dammit- Whitey Ford has died

Fitting.  It's either this or someone is going to post the Everlast album.  It's best to go with the Tom Waits Whitey Ford reference.

And yeah.  Gonna say it - screw Paul Simon.  This is a better use of baseball players in a song than Mrs. Robinson.

Edited by EdA

Padres Tommy Pham reportedly is in the hospital (in good condition) after being stabbed

Story is that two people were arguing near his car (he didn't know them). When Pham asked them to move - he was stabbed

Looks like Billy Beane is leaving the A's. He's joining with John Henry's sports venture thing that involves soccer and F1.

I imagine this is probably what Theo Epstein's future will be too.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Looks like Billy Beane is leaving the A's. He's joining with John Henry's sports venture thing that involves soccer and F1.

I imagine this is probably what Theo Epstein's future will be too.

Technically this isn't true (though I am sure it will be in the future). Of course I am assuming nothing changed while I was sleeping since the story yesterday said this

Those talks are in their early stages and a deal isn’t an inevitability,

and

It’s worth reiterating that nothing is yet official between RedBall and FSG

Full story: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/billy-beanes-future-with-athletics-uncertain.html

The Marlins are parting ways with President of Baseball Ops Michael Hill

Edit - A small clarification. Hill's contract expired. There were talks about a new contract but those obviously didn't go anywhere