DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Are.... are the Jays buyers? What is this universe? Wha happen

Well all offseason it was said that the only teams that were going to spend were the Jays and Mets. That led to the running joke about how every single FA at one point or another had been linked as going to the Jays

Apparently - this is coming from Joel Sherman so take it for what its worth - the Jays ownership have probably been hit the least by pandemic related losses so they decided to take advantage of the market that this was going to be a soft market year.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Are.... are the Jays buyers? What is this universe? Wha happen

The Cubs and Jays decided to trade places. Each is acting how the other should be.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The Cubs and Jays decided to trade places. Each is acting how the other should be.

How so? Rogers is among the richest owners in the league. And I'm pretty sure the Jays had the highest payroll in the league when they won in 92 and 93. 

The Jays are finally back to a place where they have a strong homegrown, talented and cheap core so it makes sense to open up the vault. 

I'd also like to take this time to take back all the bad things I ever said about the dynamic duo of Shapiro and Atkins ?.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

How so? Rogers is among the richest owners in the league. And I'm pretty sure the Jays had the highest payroll in the league when they won in 92 and 93. 

The Jays are finally back to a place where they have a strong homegrown, talented and cheap core so it makes sense to open up the vault. 

I'd also like to take this time to take back all the bad things I ever said about the dynamic duo of Shapiro and Atkins ?.

The Cubs have one of the largest market sizes in the country, they're owned by one of the richest families in the country, and they're operating like a small market team, not spending even $5 million for Lester when he wanted to stay, trading guys like Yu for basically nothing, or outright releasing others. All the while Tom Ricketts is saying bullshit like every team was hit hard and will have difficulty spending.

Meanwhile other teams, like the Blue Jays, are operating like the Cubs should be. Yes, the Blue Jays have wealthy ownership, but not the same market size as the Cubs.

And I don't even want the Cubs to spend, spend, spend. I would like them to at least be competitive, but their ceiling for a SP is apparently less than $2 million. They could at least field a competitive team while rebuilding or restructuring. Instead they're just trying to dumb everything they can all because Tommy is sad that the pandemic dashed his hopes of raking in money hand over fist after he bought up the entire area around Wrigley.

When I still listened to 590, there were folks who said the Jays actually had the largest market size in baseball since they have all of Canada (in theory). And then, not sure it was true now, Rogers was the the richest owner in the league, albeit a corporation and not really able to spend the way a private owner would.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Meanwhile other teams, like the Blue Jays, are operating like the Cubs should be. Yes, the Blue Jays have wealthy ownership, but not the same market size as the Cubs.

Toronto is actually bigger. The GTA's most recent numbers put it at over 6 million people. 

I am curious what Rogers' books in the sports department look like. They spent billions on the national NHL rights but they also thus have the market pretty cornered on Canadian NHL advertising. The Leafs are a guaranteed money maker being the largest Canadian market in a league with a hard salary cap. Plus whatever the Raptors and Jays are making. 

Honestly, given their telecom presence in this country, Rogers are too fucking big for their own good but if it wins a baseball championship someday I'll just pretend not to mind.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When I still listened to 590, there were folks who said the Jays actually had the largest market size in baseball since they have all of Canada (in theory). And then, not sure it was true now, Rogers was the the richest owner in the league, albeit a corporation and not really able to spend the way a private owner would.

Rogers owns the team, the stadium and the TV and radio networks that the team is aired on. A winning team would mean huge $$$ for Rogers through many different streams, from tickets to concessions to ad sales.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I am curious what Rogers' books in the sports department look like. They spent billions on the national NHL rights but they also thus have the market pretty cornered on Canadian NHL advertising. The Leafs are a guaranteed money maker being the largest Canadian market in a league with a hard salary cap. Plus whatever the Raptors and Jays are making. 

Honestly, given their telecom presence in this country, Rogers are too fucking big for their own good but if it wins a baseball championship someday I'll just pretend not to mind.

Canadian pay among the highest cell and data rates in the world. So why should I care if the Jays have a 150mil or 200mil payroll? 

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Yeah and it helps when you have a lot of political friends in high places that influence the CRTC rules on said cell and data rates, doesn't it?

That's why I have no issue with Rogers overspending lol

3 minutes ago, elizium said:

Plus the 30M odd other Canadians to market to

Oh most definitely...being Canada's team really expands the fan base. I just think that most Americans really don't appreciate the size and population of the Greater Toronto Area.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

HOT STOVE HAS HEATED UP!!!

Twins sign J.A. Happ to a 1 year, $8 million deal

White Sox right-handed hitters preparing a feast on that stove...

• Like 1

The George Springer deal is official

Couple of notes from the contract

Has an 8 team no trade and this breakdown

Springer receives a $10MM signing bonus, a $22MM salary in 2021, $28MM in 2022, then $22.5MM each year from 2023-26.  There is also a $150K bonus if Springer wins an MVP award, as well as $50K bonuses for other achievements like a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, World Series MVP Awards, or an All-Star selection.

Ryan Zimmerman is gonna play at least one more year for the Nats.

He signed a one year deal basically for the veteran minimum (its only for a million bucks). They did give him a full no trade which is cute.