DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The best is the first comment is a dude stating that he is done with the Cubs as he has been a fan since... checks tweet... 2016

As a fan since 95 when I was 5, I'm honestly pretty fucking livid over this. Trading a top 5 pitcher in baseball this last year for a an expiring contract and 4 prospects not in said teams top 10?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

As a fan since 95 when I was 5, I'm honestly pretty fucking livid over this. Trading a top 5 pitcher in baseball this last year for a an expiring contract and 4 prospects not in said teams top 10?

As a fan since I was born in 80, this all feels pretty familiar. The problem is that it shouldn't. Also, the Cubs are eating some of Yu's contact, which is a nice cherry on top of the shit sundae.

May as well trade Baez, KB, and Hendricks for a bunch of nothing too. 

It's cool. Ricketts got his WS. The STH are rubes and will keep paying. Ugh.

Not that it makes it better per se but

8 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Someone from Baseball America did state that in the upcoming Prospects Handbook - all 4 players are ranked in the Padres Top 20 (granted it was all from 15-20) so it will be interesting to see if they end up cracking the Cubs Top 10.

I guess the point is that because of the deep Padres system - guys in their Top 20 very likely would have been in other teams Top 10.

And I can't imagine the Cubs would trade for Davies and not extend him now to avoid his last arb year and lock him in for a bit. But who knows - stupider things have happened

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Not that it makes it better per se but

Someone from Baseball America did state that in the upcoming Prospects Handbook - all 4 players are ranked in the Padres Top 20 (granted it was all from 15-20) so it will be interesting to see if they end up cracking the Cubs Top 10.

I guess the point is that because of the deep Padres system - guys in their Top 20 very likely would have been in other teams Top 10.

And I can't imagine the Cubs would trade for Davies and not extend him now to avoid his last arb year and lock him in for a bit. But who knows - stupider things have happened

That’s well and fine, other then any return that doesn’t include a top 100 prospect in baseball for a top 5 pitcher in baseball is a joke. This franchise traded Torres to the Yankees for a half season of a closer and traded Eloy and Dylan Cease for 2 years of Quintana. Darvish is more valuable then either of those 2 by a good deal, and we got nothing close to that value.

And Davies feels more like a throw in so the Pads could make the salary work. The Cubs are in a full on sell off like the Red Sox, because there is no way we plan on being competitive with this rotation. 

It's a salary dump for a team that doesn't need to dump salary. The Ricketts are losing money on their hotel and other shit though because of the pandemic so something has to go and that something is Cubs salary.

That 2016 WS is some real monkey's paw type shit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Admit it - y'all would be thrilled if they salary dumped Heyward

Not really. I love J Hey, and he’s coming off a half season we’re he was 7th among all RF’s in WAR with a 130 wRC+. I would have understood the need to move him even if I honestly love Heyward in a Cubs uni, overpaid or not.

At this point though, let them destroy everything so I don’t have to watch them any time soon. Fuck the Ricketts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You really are putting a lot of faith in a third of a season

I’m more putting faith in I trust him to be solid (he’s been basically a 2 WAR player for 3 seasons now), and the fact we already only have 2 MLB caliber Outfielders on our roster as is, so trading one if we had any intention of being competitive would be fucking stupid.

Hmm, as much as I like Heyward, would I be happy if they salary dumped him...

I honestly don't know, but I feel like I would be more inclined to say yes if they had a decent replacement in RF. It would be Happ if it did happen, but I'm not sure how much I can trust anything anyone did last season. 

A quick follow up - the amount the Cubs are paying of Darvish's contract is $3 million

It appears that this is because he got a $3 million bonus for finishing 2nd in the Cy Young voting so that is what the Cubs are covering. (Since the remaining amount owed to Darvish is $62 million not the original number of $59 million)

It's crazy that the Cubs win 1 World Series in over 100 years and they go back to making garbage moves and their fans (in general, from what I've read on different platforms, not just here) are shocked, like they haven't lived through this before lol.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 11:20 AM, Infinit said:

It's crazy that the Cubs win 1 World Series in over 100 years and they go back to making garbage moves and their fans (in general, from what I've read on different platforms, not just here) are shocked, like they haven't lived through this before lol.

I don't think anyone expected 1) the window to close as fast as it did and 2) Ricketts to start acting like the team was flat broke. I was totally in favor of the rebuild, even starting with Theo drafting Almora, because you could practically see multiple championships 3 or 4 years down the line. The farm was as loaded as ever, the ML team made great moves to get Lester, Lackey, Heyward (despite the high price tag), sneakily re-sign Fowler, etc. Rizzo and Lester were awesome leaders. They then win the WS, KB is MVP, Jake wins the Cy Young, and then...Jake is eventually gone, KB never produces at an MVP level again, Aroldis goes back to the Yankees, we lose Eloy and Gleyber, we way overspend on Shitwood, deal even more people from the farm, Q sucks for the most part, we got 1 really good year out of Yu, and on and on.

In essence, it looks like Gleyber equaled the cost of a WS. Unfortunately everything slowly fell apart after and no one expected that. Even worse is that for 2 years straight Theo would do his post season press conference and talk about making moves and signings only for Tom Ricketts a couple weeks later to say what we have is what we have.

Nothing will ever take away that WS and I've watched my Blu Ray set for the WS more than once, but I'm not going to lie it say it doesn't sting to see where the team wound up.