DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair to Jeter, he only owns 4% of the Marlins.

He's also the guy who made the firing decisions and he still owns his stake after the fake sign...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I like the move. I don't think Reid-Foley was gonna do much for us and the other 2 prospects aren't that high end so it looks ok for us. I'd still like us to grab another starter FA though. 

Would be nice but looks like the Jays plan to do a lot of piggyback pitching this year.  They have a pile of starters probably best served going 2-4 innings. Pearson is going to be on short innings so its time to see if TJ Zeuch, Anthony Kay, Ryan Borucki, Stripling, Matz, Trent Thornton are future starting pitchers or will they be openers or short starters whatever you call guys like that.  Maybe they step up or they are best served throwing their best 2 pitches and only facing  the opposing lineup once not 2-3 times

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, The Man Known as Dan said:

I’m more putting faith in I trust him to be solid (he’s been basically a 2 WAR player for 3 seasons now), and the fact we already only have 2 MLB caliber Outfielders on our roster as is, so trading one if we had any intention of being competitive would be fucking stupid.

At the time this was posted - I almost responded "they could sign Joc Pederson for much cheaper" (since Pederson was basically a 3 WAR player in 2018 (2.7) and 2019 (3.0) - I don't count anything for last year's cursed season) but I am lazy.

Well turns out the Cubs signed him anyway!

No words on the terms yet

The only sense I can make from this signing is that Jed hopes Joc can turn things around and be good in the first half, make himself appealing to other teams, and then flip him for prospects at the deadline.

Apropos of nothing, Joc Pederson definitely sounds like "the ex-ball player broadcaster who is forced to resign because he said racist things on a hot mic."

In other stupid news, the only thing the Marlins got back for Yelich that looked like he was worth a damn, Jordan Yamamoto, got DFA'ed today. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I were Joc Pederson, I'd change my first name to Jaqcues. According to wikipedia, his first name is Joc. It's not short for anything or a nickname. 

BTW, @Dolfan in NYC, the puppy gif has made my day so far.

Imagine naming your kid after an athletic cup lol

While the return isn't official yet - it is like the Rockies saw the Yu Darvish trade and went "Hold My Beer"

Middling prospects AND still paying $50 million

On 1/30/2021 at 8:26 AM, Kuetsar said:

If we had a real commissioner, he'd tell both teams to go fuck themselves with that deal. . . .IF

which is precisely why they got rid of Real Commissioners 30 years ago and ain't had one since

• Like 1

MLBPA is expected - unsurprisingly - to reject the offer per Bob Nightengale

Their stance of WE PLAYED 60 GAMES SO A FULL SEASON WON'T BE A PROBLEM!!!! is so gonna blow up in their face

• Like 1

Follow up

8:56PM: According to multiple reports, one of the MLBPA’s other concerns about the league’s offer is that the players believe commissioner Rob Manfred would have too much extra power to modify the schedule (or cancel games outright).  The players are under no obligation to negotiate any sort of altered procedures for the start or length of the 2021 season, and thus without a new deal in place to modify the terms of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, the players would proceed as usual towards the scheduled starts of Spring Training and the April 1st Opening Day.

• Like 1

The Angels and Orioles are working out a trade to send right-hander Alex Cobb from Baltimore to Anaheim, Dan Connolly and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic report (via Twitter). Details are still being finalized, Connolly adds. The Orioles are surely including some cash to offset a portion of the $15MM that Cobb is owed under the final season of his four-year, $57MM contract with the O’s.