DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is technically minors related but would obviously have big ramifications on the regular season

TIL that "the Cactus League" is an actual entity and not just a nickname for the training facilities in Arizona.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Not as much as the Jays giving Marcus Semien $18 million for one fucking year

I like it. I have no problem with Rogers spending $$$. Next year Jordan Groshans should be major league ready so a one year flier on Semien makes sense.

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

And Schilling has now asked to be removed from next year's ballot and wants the Veteran committee to only judge him

Not to go too far down this path but that was the only way he was gonna get in anyway so might as well claim conspiracy

• Haha 2

So, I'm an absolute moron when it comes to the stock market, but... 

It looks like a bunch of redditors were bored (?) and artificially inflated GameStop stock. 

The baseball related note is apparently Mets' owner Steve Cohen's hedge fund had been shorting GameStop. He's apparently lost $1 billion because of this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I like it. I have no problem with Rogers spending $$$. Next year Jordan Groshans should be major league ready so a one year flier on Semien makes sense.

If 2019 Marcus Semien shows up there will be a whole lot of clubberin' going on in Dunedin and wherever else they may wind up playing this year.  A lot of money but it's one year and the Jays have to overpay usually to get guys to take their calls.  If this results in the Guererro third basemen experiment ending for good I'm all for it. Of course the other elephant in the room is Bichette isn't that great at SS either and Biggio is that jack of all trades master of none in the field so not too many defensive runs saved from this lot this year

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It looks like a bunch of redditors were bored (?) and artificially inflated GameStop stock. 

The baseball related note is apparently Mets' owner Steve Cohen's hedge fund had been shorting GameStop. He's apparently lost $1 billion because of this.

The whole thing is very very delightful. Wall street bros are freaking out because they're supposed to be the only ones to game the markets

• Like 4

Side note - apparently BlackBerry and AMC are currently the two other stocks they are doing it too.

Anyway regarding Seimen- the story I read says that the Jays are planning on starting him at 2B and Biggio is gonna play the entire infield.

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

8 hours ago, elizium said:

The whole thing is very very delightful. Wall street bros are freaking out because they're supposed to be the only ones to game the markets

Got me like...

tenor.gif?itemid=10667755

• Haha 3

To be fair - that again is another example of lies, damn lies and statistics.

The Pirates have 17! players eligible for some level of arbitration - they aren't going to non-tender 17 guys.

So yes - the only "official" commitment is Polanco but you can assume at least $10 million in arb money (and it will be more if they don't trade Adam Frazier)

And for the record - the Marlins only have $3 million committed too but PITTSBURGH IS THE NEW POX UPON THE MLB HOUSE!!!!

• Like 2

If you were planning on signing a "name" middle infielder your options are drying up quick

Besides Semien

Orioles signed Freddy Galvis

Twins signed Andrelton Simmons

Giants are about to sign Tommy La Stella

Pretty much leaves Didi Gregorius as the last man standing

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Side note - apparently BlackBerry and AMC are currently the two other stocks they are doing it too.

Anyway regarding Seimen- the story I read says that the Jays are planning on starting him at 2B and Biggio is gonna play the entire infield.

Biggio is going to play the entire infield by himself? Even his dad couldn't do that.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And for the record - the Marlins only have $3 million committed too but PITTSBURGH IS THE NEW POX UPON THE MLB HOUSE!!!!

Yeah, but Pittsburgh isn't owned by MLB's golden boy who would never do anything nefarious like fire everyone, including beloved former Expos legends, or putting up a fake sign in a foreign country to hide from lawsuit losses.  Oh wait...

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I like the move. I don't think Reid-Foley was gonna do much for us and the other 2 prospects aren't that high end so it looks ok for us. I'd still like us to grab another starter FA though. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, but Pittsburgh isn't owned by MLB's golden boy who would never do anything nefarious like fire everyone, including beloved former Expos legends, or putting up a fake sign in a foreign country to hide from lawsuit losses.  Oh wait...

To be fair to Jeter, he only owns 4% of the Marlins.