DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - Season Resumes 2/17/21

RIPPA

Man, there really needs to be a strike. It's bullshit that the WS loser, a recent WS champ and team that consistently makes the playoffs, and a third playoff team are shedding payroll, making trades like this, or flat out can't or won't re-sign these players. All of these teams can afford these players. It's just doesn't bode well for the next few years.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, there really needs to be a strike. It's bullshit that the WS loser, a recent WS champ and team that consistently makes the playoffs, and a third playoff team are shedding payroll, making trades like this, or flat out can't or won't re-sign these players. All of these teams can afford these players. It's just doesn't bode well for the next few years.

I've been a fan of The Baseball Team? for my entire life, and I honestly don't understand why.  They are either terrible, or on the verge of something great.  As soon as they get to the verge, they decide the best players are for sale.  

• Like 1

And that's for your team. Yu Darvish outright threw the Cubs under the bus saying he didn't understand why they would trade him when they could easily still contend. And the return they got was fucking garbage.

Now it sounds like Willson will be dealt to the Angels who have...ummm...nobody useful for the Cubs that the Angels will part with.

I swear, if this all ends up with KB being extended/re-sign for too much money then I'm going to be really annoyed. If there's anyone to deal, it's him. I think you could get a decent return on him from another team who will take the chance on a young, former MVP. I've seen enough of him over the last few years to think he's not going to consistently be that type of leader though.

Given his health problems in recent years I can't say that's surprising but it's still sad. He was one of the great characters of the sport that I remember from when I first started watching baseball. Like, when I think of "baseball manager" this is the over the top character I think of. Tommy Lasorda.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I half want to make a new thread just for us to post great old Lasorda clips.  

For the record, I 100% believe while the Phantic was joking, Lasorda was not. 

RIP 

I don't blame him for moving the Phanatic's ATV. Fucker almost ran me over on the concourse at the one Phillies game I went to.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Presume that excludes folks in broadcasters wing, like Scully.

Broadcasters aren't (technically) in the HOF.  They get the Ford Frick Award, which is essentially the same thing.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, same with the Spinks Award for the writers. 

But it seems like they are colloquially called HOFers. 

Yeah.  Cuz it really makes no sense to have a world where Red Barber, Mel Allen, and Vin Scully aren't in the baseball HOF.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to meet Mr Lasorda in 2009 at a Sounds' game and got to shake his hand and have a few words with him.

He kept kayfabe to the end, as I asked him what he said to Jesse Orosco in 1988 and he did a lookaround and said he couldn't use words like that with women around.

R.I.P. Tommy

And of course one of the great tales of baseball lore: The Dodgers once used a late round pick on a kid from the Philly area who was Lasorda's Godson as a favor to him. The kid's name:

Mike Piazza.

Liam Hendriks has signed a 3 year deal with the White Sox

He gets a guaranteed $54 million

It is a little bit of a wacky deal in that there is a $15 million club option for a 4th year. The buyout on that option is... $15 million

So Hendriks is getting the full amount - the difference is, if Chicago doesn't pick up the option the $15 million buyout is paid over 10 years. (And it just becomes a question of if he is playing in Chicago for 3 or 4 years)

Basically - doesn't be surprised if you see other clubs start using this model to knock down the AAV of deals while players still get all the money quaranteed

This is really probably just me shaking my fist at the clouds but

So Corey Kluber, Steve Cishek, and Anthony Swarzak all threw for scouts today (they all have the same agency). Obviously Kluber is the one getting the attention but still that is three MLB experienced pitchers.

Only 25 clubs were present.

I mean I don't care if you know you aren't gonna sign a guy - how the fuck aren't you always sending a scout to these sessions?

Information is information

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1