DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover XXXI - 10/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Hey sure, a Takeover, why not. 

The card, updated as they announce:

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Finn Balor (c) vs. Kyle O'Reilly

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Io Shirai (c) vs. Candice LaRae

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Damian Priest (c) vs. Johnny Gargano

FOR THE NXT CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Santos Escobar (c) vs. Isaiah "Swerve" Scott

KUSHIDA vs. Velveteen Dream

Well I like both the NXT Championship and NXT Women's Championship matches. Hardly any interest in the NXT North American Championship match. I certainly won't be watching KUSHIDA vs. The Velveteen Dream. When I do watch WWE TV and Dream's on, I turn off.

I have not watched NXT in a while. But I saw that they are teasing some kind of mystery returnee apparently? The two names I saw pop up were:

Bobby Roode. I loved his NXT run and can get being that.

Bo Dallas. We have never needed him more. His run with the title was so formative in the early days of what made NXT so great. His running around the Full Sail campus to avoid security was the best. NXT got stale for me when it became “A redux of indie leagues I never watch with really repetitive but fun matches.” We need a major character who may not be as good as (enter name of indie wrestling person here) but has an insanely good character and  plays a great doofusz

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

We need a major character who may not be as good as (enter name of indie wrestling person here) but has an insanely good character and  plays a great doofusz

Have you seen any of Cameron Grimes this year? He plays an arrogant moron quite well.

• Like 2

At first glance I thought they were working with Capitol Wrestling which explains why Velveteen Dream was added to the show 

Really the only interesting thing on the show is whether this is the start of the Undisputed Era breakup and we get the O'Reilly vs Cole feud or we wait.    

That show WAY over delivered. Kudos all the way around. I was expecting a bottom tier Takeover given the lukewarm build and they went and put on a solid middle to upper third event.

That was the best Takeover main event in three years and a MOTYC. What a joy to be away from the Cole/Gargano/Ciampa formula. 

Great show tonight!

• Like 1

Liked how they not only had Toni Storm show up on a video screen to challenge Io, they threw out Ember Moon after her too.  So you have those two and Rhea after the title.  The women's just keeps getting deeper.

Finn/O'Reilly was a great war.  Any match where working on the liver is the central point of the match is A+ in my book.

I'm trying to figure out what 80's pit fighter movie HHH must have watched, but I like the fight pit feel of the CWC. 

I'm never subbing to the Network again, but I'll find any eventual Toni Storm vs Io or Io vs Ember (or Ember vs Toni) matches. Those will be barnburners. I don't care about anything else in NXT. The women's division as of late has been kind of lacking, IMO, and this makes up for it A LOT.

Loved Ember's dig about the Bo Dallas theories on Twitter, though.

47 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

This overdelivered.

I say this as someone who thinks that Ember-Asuka was a really great match - I really hope Ember's taken time to work on her character.

Ember Knows her Character,  WWE doesn't. That's the problem with alot of the current talent especially on the main roster. Unless that person has enough creative freedom to express their gimmick the way they need for it to work there will be a disconnect. Look at Keith Lee.

• Like 1