DVDVR Message Board

Rolling Stone's 500 Best Albums of All Time (2020)

Andrew POE!

So Rolling Stone has a new list up for 500 Best Albums of All Time and....it's interesting:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/arcade-fire-funeral-1062733/

10. Lauryn Hill - the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
9. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
8. Prince - Purple Rain
7. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
6. Nirvana - Nevermind
5. The Beatles - Abbey Road
4. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
3. Joni Mitchell - Blue
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

My thoughts so far:

A fucking John Mayer album over Black Flag - Damaged and The Stooges' first album? Britney Spears' mildly ok album over David Bowie's Scary Monsters? Billie Ellish even being on the list?

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill has no business in the top 10. Boring as piss album and so many better albums before it.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Tags were eliminated with the last board update. You have to click the eyeball if you want to do spoilers.

And I dont really think you need to use spoilers if you want discussion about the list since it has been all over the news the last few days

Having typed up the complete list -- oof. I can't really argue with Marvin Gaye's What's Going On as #1 to be honest. I'm not sure I would have Rumours, Nevermind, and Blood on the Tracks in the top 10. I would swap Joni Mitchell's Blue and Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life and I would move Abbey Road to #3.

But there are way too many Kanye West (really, The College Dropout and Late Registration are his best works) and Jay-Z albums on there.

There's also no King Crimson, Slint - Spiderland, Husker Du - Zen Arcade, no Genesis, very few Kate Bush (The Kick Inside and her recent 50 Words For Snow are not on the list) and somehow no Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder - Talking Timbutku, Taj Mahal's first album, Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love & Hate, Radiohead - Amnesiac or friggin' Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock. Not to mention really good live albums like Cheap Trick - At Budokan, Joni Mitchell - Misles of Aisles, and Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal.

But yet 2 Beyonce albums deserve a spot.

Edited by Andrew POE!