DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 9/23/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'm guessing the Fandango purposely convoluted tag match leading to a future tag match was somewhat a rib on their own creative. 

Any guesses on what that weird vignette with the "Takeover is ours" thing.  I'd assume returning former NXT champs, but really have no idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I'm guessing the Fandango purposely convoluted tag match leading to a future tag match was somewhat a rib on their own creative. 

Any guesses on what that weird vignette with the "Takeover is ours" thing.  I'd assume returning former NXT champs, but really have no idea.

God help us all, but I have a feeling it could be Retribution invading Takeover. Since they’re all former NXT wrestlers too. 

• Like 1

The battle royale having a bunch of new people we have never seen was weird, but I did enjoy it if only for how they used it to make Rhea & Raquel look even more badass throwing all of them out. I wish they pulled the trigger on Kacy with how she kept staying in. Can't say I'm excited about Io/Candace. Their last match was pretty good, but I haven't dug Candace's in ring heel work all that much. I'm also a little worried they will have Candace dethrone Io which would annoy me since it would be about transitioning the belt to Nox who I just don't care for. Hopefully we get Raquel vs. Rhea at Takeover.

I enjoyed Atlas trying beat Ciampa's ass instead of just going for his usual high flying stuff. That said, the finish felt off with Ciampa prepping his knee only to end up doing some weird double arm slam.

The Fandango scene leading to the convoluted decision as to who the next tag title contenders would be amused me. The match itself was fine though nothing any of those guys are capable of with their regular tag partners.

The gauntlet eliminator was ok I guess. The gauntlet stip just felt pointless with how the match played out. There really was no reason to not make it a normal elimination match. Wish Kushida had won though O'Reilly was the guy I was second most interested in seeing come out on top.

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

God help us all, but I have a feeling it could be Retribution invading Takeover. Since they’re all former NXT wrestlers too. 

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought the same thing. Oof.

I hate you both a little right now for leaving this fearful thought it my mind.

• Like 2

Good on Kyle, he's definitely the kind of guy that benefits from a 3rd Brand. But this show looks pretty weak right now.

Finn Balor has charisma, obviously, but....I dunno....what's he all about? Like back in the day, he had the video packages (remember the video packages?) and we knew. I mean yeah there are oblique references to his New Japan/Bullet Club days, and he scowls a lot.....but it's kind of like he's gone darkside but there's no real payoff in sight. Like with A.J. Styles say, he went kinda darkside in TNA/Impact, but then kind of integrated his shadow and got the title (and then got low-balled, so he left and went to New Japan, hurrah!).

Maybe they were going to do that when he feuded with Kross, and maybe they still will. But I dunno, the tweener thing all seems a bit thin right now.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

Both big gals shined in the battle royale. Blackheart is becoming a great contender with every match.

Really dig Ridge Holland, is that a new finisher? Play off on what happened with Gargano?

Great main. Everyone brought their working boots. Another multi-man where Grimes was the facilitator, they really trust the dude.

Y'all joke - but if you take the video literally - Bo Dallas if the only choice

It is it multiple titles - the only people that applies too (still on roster) are Gargano, Ciampa, Cole, Lee, Dallas and Pete Dunne.

The first three are already in NXT, Lee just got called up and Dunne isn't coming back to the US any time soon

Some thoughts again,

Starting with the battle royal, oh c'mon Candice not this again! Wow, it will be SOME episode of Table for 3 with Tegan Nox, Robert Stone and Drake Maverick, when one is going on about knee-injuries inflicted by ex-or future- tag team partners/friends, other one is going on about getting repeatedly ran over by a mini tank and the third one is going on about constantly getting beaten up by Killian Dain while trying to thank him. No one gets any eating done!

On to the battle royal, with Nox out of the picture the double elimination prediction from last week didn't happen and instead it was Gonzales and Rhea! Well, give me those two going at it even without a title, I do not mind! Kacy doing American Ninja Warrior shit was amazing and getting help from her already eliminated tag team partner was even better! Glad to see her getting into the final four! And fuck you, Dakota Kai! I respect the hell out of you, and you will be a champion one day, but fuck you for eliminating Kacy like that! Yay, Shotzi!

Candice getting the win was pretty obvious after the aforementioned double elimination, but I was kinda expecting Nox to come out at the end. Match with Io should be as good as their previous ones with the roles reversed this time. Oh, I get it, this is the chance for Mr.&Mrs. Wrestling to become champions at Takeover (didn't they already have that chance once, or not?)

Priest talking shit about Austin Theory and flirting with Sarah again. She's never shown up to any of those after-parties, right? Nor is she going to.

I'm guessing Sherlock Fandango was saying "it's simple" on purpose, while explaining his idea instead of that thing he was expected to say, right? The idea was novel, the match was ok. Good on Burch to get the win. I'm rooting for Lorcan and Burch to get the shot. Fresh match with rather interesting dynamic, I'm guessing 1-2 would get (even) more aggressive on that one?

Hmm... should I be listening to Corey MF'n Taylor? Should anyone? Just kidding. On which one, I'm not sure? Made all participants look cool, though.

Ciampa vs Atlas was way more competitive this time around, but still the same slaughter for poor Jake.

I don't know why some people don't like Damien Priest, I think he rules! We have so much in common... no, wait, we have practically nothing at all in common, but I still think he rules. I guess I did have less shiny version of those pants in the mid '00's come to think of it, not pleather, though. Too bad Austin's a shithead, because he has a lot of...holy shit, a razor's edge on the apron! He's done!

Oh, fuck off, Johnny go do some squats or something! New meaning to distressed skinny jeans, right there.

Wow, I wonder who's coming out of isolation? Black Scorpion?

Ridge Holland is such a badass! Give him everything, now!

Oh, good Priest came back to fuck up Gargano! Io saying she's never liked Candice was cool, because they WERE friends at one point. Io's been like " get the fuck away from me" this whole time? "Why is she always around me? Does she think we are friends or something?" Finally she had to attack her with a chair for her to get the point. It's all clear to me now.

Gauntlet match starting. Somehow, I see all guys arriving before eliminations... what the fuck Dream, ok there goes that theory. Damn, Kushida could have won the whole thing. I guess he's going to face Dream one on one. Reed sure is a target on this one. I'd try and get him out as quickly as possible! He sure is kicking everyone's ass! Reed's looking SO good in this one that I'm guessing he won't win...oh. Well, all of these three would make a good challenger for Finn! Oh shit, the final two! I thought that was it. Grimes talking some shit! Who knew he was such an Adam Cole fan? Great ending with the injured leg coming into play! Well, that would be the freshest possible match for Finn. I wonder what happens if O'Riley actually wins?

Ok, this was really fun. Who is coming back? They can't be talking about Kross yet, can they? The imagery was all wrong for that. Alesteir Black (Scorpion)? As of this posting I have yet to read any of the replies on this thread, so people may have this one figured out already, so I apologize for the redundancy.

Edited by Shartnado
Correcting a couple of typos

On 9/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, turk128 said:

Really dig Ridge Holland, is that a new finisher? Play off on what happened with Gargano?

That's just a coincidence, since that has been his finisher this whole time, but very good point nonetheless! Holland rules!

• Like 1

I had trouble sleeping last night, so I listed all the NXT champions in my head, so on top of Bo Dallas, Samoa Joe and Alesteir Black who have been suggested, I also came up with Bobby Roode. Was he released this spring or not? I think it's pretty safe to say it won't be Neville, for a good number of reasons, but HOLY FUCK if it was!

On 9/25/2020 at 8:10 PM, Shartnado said:

I think it's pretty safe to say it won't be Neville, for a good number of reasons, but HOLY FUCK if it was!

Neville coming back obliterating Balor out of left field would be fantastic.... then again, I would also react just as ecstatic if it was Bo.....