DVDVR Message Board

RIP Road Warrior Animal

nofuture

When you're a kid, you don't care which Road Warrior is better. When you're an annoying smark in your early 20s, you think Hawk is better because he's leaner and has the Fistdrop and flies a little more and he has more Japan stuff and because that's the conventional wisdom. When you're old as dirt, you realize that Animal was better at selling (and selflessly giving when the match warranted it), his stuff looked better and more impressive, and he was just more confident all around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, w. josh said:

Paul Ellering outlived both members of the LOD.

Ellering and Jake are the only surviving members of the original Legion of Doom in Georgia. Bundy, Buzz, the Road Warriors, and The Spoiler are all gone. 

This is a shame to see. For some reason I thought he was a bit older than 60. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

When you're a kid, you don't care which Road Warrior is better. When you're an annoying smark in your early 20s, you think Hawk is better because he's leaner and has the Fistdrop and flies a little more and he has more Japan stuff and because that's the conventional wisdom. When you're old as dirt, you realize that Animal was better at selling (and selflessly giving when the match warranted it), his stuff looked better and more impressive, and he was just more confident all around.

As a teen I actually liked Animal more when I dug into their work a bit.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'd pretty much agree with this, unless you were a kid like me and thought Animal was better because he had the cooler facepaint

• Like 5

I actually remember reading this magazine (think it was Wrestling '84) during lunch at school when my teacher came across it, and she was totally disgusted by them rooting around the dumpster. ?

• Like 4

LOD were the first major bad asses in wrestling those of us who are 90s kids with access to TBS came across. Seeing them crush fools was awesome. The spike angle with Dusty is one of the true landmark moments of my childhood. 

Their move to the WWF was one of those early demarcation lines where kids who really loved wrestling — aka, sad sad people like ourselves — and people who only liked the WWF could separate ourselves. They got a new team that looked insane in the Road Warriors. But we felt like we got a watered down version, and what we saw on TBS and the like was a lot better.

LOD were a ton of fun. I have no idea how everyone considers them as workers in history - I am guessing that they were good and knew their parts - but that is kind of besides the point. They had an aura and looked insane and really made us believe that people walked around with spiders painted on their faces and carried spiked shoulder pads.

Also: Dudes gave us Zubaz pants!

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ooooooh, What a Rushhhhh!!!

I remember seeing this as it happened as a kid. It was my first time seeing them in a match. One of my favorite memories was my Dads reaction to their finish, he wasn't necessarily a fan but he'd watch if it was on the screen. 

They've got to be the most recognizable teams outside of the wrestling bubble.

I remember recently thinking how my favorite Natural Disasters match watch vs LOD. Animals dropkick was always impressive.

He and Hawk were such a great team, I feel like Vince could've easily made them the Hulk Hogan of his tag team division simultaneously during the beginning of Hulkamania if they were willing to give up their deal with Baba

60 is too soon Man 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ellering and Jake are the only surviving members of the original Legion of Doom in Georgia. Bundy, Buzz, the Road Warriors, and The Spoiler are all gone. 

Everytime I see a list like that I am just puzzled why Roberts is the one left standing. I suppose you could use the cockroaches and Keith Richards line and replace Richards with Roberts.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Interestingly, Bundy's face turn here was the first wrestling angle that I really remember seeing. Specifically a Roadies squash where Bundy ran in to save the jobbers from further harm.

• Like 1

RIP Animal. The awe of seeing LOD stomping down the aisle with that face paint and those huge spikes on their shoulders, with the BMF walk (as Austin likes to say). They were tied with Undertaker and Bret as the most over guys in the early 90's UK school playground and what made wrestling so cool.

Plus as other people said, if I think 'big man dropkick' I think of Animal's big standing leap, and his powerslam was a thing of beauty too. 

• Like 1