DVDVR Message Board

UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa (9/26/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

EiIhgXaU0AAXs7E.jpeg

UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa 
September 26, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Israel Adesanya © (184) vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (185) (second defense) - Adesanya, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:59)
UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Dominick Reyes (205) vs. Jan Błachowicz (205) (vacant) - Błachowicz, TKO (punches), R2 (4:36)
Kai Kara-France (126) vs. Brandon Royval (126) - Royval, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (0:48)
Ketlen Vieira (136) vs. Sijara Eubanks (136) - Vieira, DEC (unanimous)
Hakeem Dawodu (145) vs. Zubaira Tukhugov (150)** - Dawodu, DEC (split)

ESPN2/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Brad Riddell (156) vs. Alex da Silva (156) - Riddell, DEC (unanimous)
Diego Sanchez (170) vs. Jake Matthews (170) - Matthews, DEC (unanimous)
Shane Young (146) vs. Ľudovít Klein (150)* - Klein, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (1:16)
William Knight (205) vs. Aleksa Camur (206) - Knight, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2/ESPN+/Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Juan Espino (255) vs. Jeff Hughes (258) - Espino, SUB (scarfhold), R1 (3:48)
Khadis Ibragimov (206) vs. Danilo Marques (206) - Marques, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Buyrate: 700,000

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jan Błachowicz
Performance of the Night: Israel Adesanya
Fight of the Night: Kai Kara-France vs. Brandon Royval

• jaedmc pinned this topic
On 9/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

EiIhgXaU0AAXs7E.jpeg

UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa 
September 26, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Israel Adesanya © vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (second defense)
UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Dominick Reyes (c) vs. Jan Błachowicz (first defense)

Fixed that for you ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No idea what's going to happen with Costa/Adesanya. I just know I don't want it to go 5 rounds. I want someone to get slept.

Reyes/Blachowicz I don't really care who wins, but I feel like it'll be a better fight.

I honestly don't know much of anyone else on the rest of the card. I might, but I'm terrible with names.

Is Deigo Sanchez still with that cult leader?

I'm guessing we get another Silva-esque performance from Stylebender and he fucks around for 5 rounds en route to a decision victory. There's always the chance he catches Costa I suppose, but those are the two finishes I see. Adesanya either does the Silva thing for 5 rounds or he does the Silva thing for 1 to 2 rounds and ethers Costa.

56 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I'm totally off the Izzy train and think Costa dusts him. 

Any reason as to why? Just curious.

I wonder how many people are down on him for his performance vs. Romero especially juxtaposed against Costa having a FOTY candidate against Romero.

Skill wise I'm not down on him for the Romero fight. That fight put me off of his shit talk gimmick.

I think this might look more like the Robert Whittaker fight. Izzy had some incredible defense in that but he wasn't totally untouchable. He'd have to be about as perfect as he was in that fight to win this and hope that whatever shots Cost lands aren't erasers.

• Like 1

My thing is how many fights has Borrachinha had where someone isn't meeting him head on? He's had only FIVE (5) UFC fights. In all five, everyone was willing to trade with him. The first three were gimmes (Bamgbose and McLellan who weren't really UFC caliber which is fine for UFC prospect and a badly faded Johny Hendricks). The Uriah Hall win was good, but you won't find too many fighters as inconsistent as Uriah Hall. His best win was Romero in a fight where Romero had his moments. He has never had a fight where he was frustrated that his opponent isn't right there in front of him.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

That's the thing that has me worried about Costa's chances. I watched some of his finishes and they almost all start with him pressuring the opp up against the cage and then unleashing hell. I don't think you can catch Adesanya like that. We shall see if he's able to cut off the cage but I have my doubts. But man was that Romero fight insanity with both guys taking some scary punishment.

• Like 1

As for the co-main, this seems like the perfect letdown fight for Reyes considering there was so much talk of a Jones rematch. Prior to the Jones fight, Reyes wasn't exactly destroying LHW contenders left and right. Weidman desperately came up to light heavyweight looking for answers and quickly got sent packing back to middleweight. He had that off fight against Oezdemir. He had a good performance against OSP. However, if Jon Jones gets shit for dominating OSP but not finishing him, Reyes deserves the same flack. He had OSP hurt and didn't finish him. Cannonier is a good fighter, but he's not a light heavyweight. It's tough to get a read on Reyes. If you think about it, he had such low expectations going into the Jones fight much like Gustafsson in his first fight with Jon Jones that anything other than a convincing Jon Jones win would raise his stock. However, just because he fought close in that fight doesn't make him the outright #1 guy at LHW. Blachowicz would easily be the best win on his resume if he pulled it off. This fight intrigues me more than the middleweight title fight because of those unknowns.