DVDVR Message Board

Late Night Dynamite 9/22 & Regular Night Dynamite 9/23

Web Conn

5 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

also, the Young Bucks bullying thing doesn't work because they're 5'6. It looks ridiculous. 

Tony Schiovane dwarfed him in that promo.

Well in kayfabe, they're trained fighters and he's an announcer.  Would you find it unrealistic if a MMA middleweight or whatever pushed around an out of shape 60+ year old announcer?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Valcourt said:

Excalibur also mentioned Rosa's championships in Japan a few weeks back to which Ross replied, "Only you would know that," or something along those lines.

Ivelisse isn't so good.... Her match with thunder rosa for the title has moments where Ivelisse wasn't selling or doing any facial expressions as to what was happening. Almost like Rosa was teaching her the move or something. Really weird....

Yeah the more I watch Ivelisse in a live setting the more I realize that Lucha Underground had some great editing tools because I thought she was awesome there.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah the more I watch Ivelisse in a live setting the more I realize that Lucha Underground had some great editing tools because I thought she was awesome there.  

I was going to say - she might be the female Ricky Banderas / Mil Muertes. A total botch machine/space cadet (no, not the AAA kind) with ring presence who was born to have their matches edited into something better than they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

It's questionable booking for sure. They undercut Lee, Cage, and Lance Archer that way. Lee and Archer have rebounded so it doesn't seem to be the end of the world but it certainly stalls them a little to put over Cody or Mox or Cody again. I can't fault them for having Cage lose though, he seems pretty banged up. But all this is with notable asterisk of it being during the early pandemic months so a lot of things had to be done on the fly and consistent booking understandably took a hit.

Yeah, but even with Cage why give him the FTW title before the match with Moxley? He could’ve gotten his heat back from that finish and having Taz award him the title to save his job and Cage acted like he was an actual champion. The way they did it, Cage just looked like a failure and the FTW belt means nothing.

There have been so many things in AEW were if they’d just thought through things better and done a little differently they’d be in a much better place.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not a fan of Taz or Kevin Sullivan, then?

I mean I like the Bucks but Taz has a judo black belt and Sullivan literally harnesses the power of Satan. Both are more intimidating than Matt Jackson. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Well in kayfabe, they're trained fighters and he's an announcer.  Would you find it unrealistic if a MMA middleweight or whatever pushed around an out of shape 60+ year old announcer?

Middleweights are actually pretty big especially considering the weight cuts. I think featherweights is probably a more apt comparison. 

And while it may make sense in kayfabe, visually it still looks ridiculous.

If they’re going to be heels (which I don’t understand why they would be doing that when FTR are the top heels and we’ve never had Young Bucks vs FTR) they have to be cocky, chicken shit heels. That’s the only way they can be believable as heels. But they shouldn’t be heels at least not before the match with FTR.

13 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I mean I like the Bucks but Taz has a judo black belt and Sullivan literally harnesses the power of Satan. Both are more intimidating than Matt Jackson. 

Yeah, Taz was thickly built and he actually didn’t look that small in ECW.

It wasn’t until he got to WWE that I was like “wow, he’s short.” And we saw how that went there.

But if Matt and Nick were ripped and jacked like Pac (I think they’re similar height) I’d have less of an issue because they’d look physically intimidating despite their height.

But they just don’t look physically impressive at all, so it’s hard to suspend disbelief and buy them as bullies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Meltzer and Alvarez said Miro hurt himself in the tag match, so that might explain some of the awkwardness.

I totally though he may have torn a quad the way he was laboring on the outside of the ring. Hopefully it isn't that bad.

• Like 1

Moxley vs Kingston was fucking bonkers in his stuff it was I liked it and I liked the pull apart in the beginning of the show was aces too I like when the Bain is built up at the beginning of the show.

Codys return I knew he was returning eventually but they could have held off on it  until the Anniversary Show you know like give the Anniversary Show a big moment. But other than looking silly with brown hair I liked Cody’s return and Brodie Lees promo has me thinking we’re getting Cody vs Brodie dog collar match at Full Gear.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Meltzer and Alvarez said Miro hurt himself in the tag match, so that might explain some of the awkwardness.

Since that confirms what I believed to be the case last night then I think they deserve to try the match again but with maybe a different structure. I'm sure all four would want another crack at it since the hurt leg is when things went off the rails. 

Probably making the mistake of engaging ENO version 25, but AEW is doing quite well for itself. While not perfect and still with plenty of room to grow, it is in the strongest position a non-WWE American wrestling company has been in since the 1990's. I can easily see a path where it is the #1 North American wrestling company in the next decade (already in a strong place with the moneymaking demographic, and has great loyalty among its core fans in buying whatever products AEW is selling). The overall quality of the product is still insanely high over a year in (to where a PPV with three four-star plus matches and six matches three and a half stars or better is actually viewed as a mild disappointment). 

Also, it has been stated before, but the booking of both Archer and Brodie Lee has been very good on the whole. They have wisely established Moxley as the top overall star in the company, and the champion needs to beat credible challengers. Cody is just a hair below that (and while he may be a bit divisive on this board, he is still mega-over with the overall audience), and again, no harm in losing to him. Hell, the ending of the Cody-Archer TNT title match almost protected the heel too much, as the face basically needed outside interference to win. 

• Like 5

Just rewatched Mox/King. Eddie Kingston is my new favourite wrestler. He embodies his character so well, even after the bell and he had lost, he was depicting anger at himself for losing, yet anger/jealousy/respect at Mox for doing it, all whilst cradling Mox like Mr White cradling Mr Orange at the end of Reservoir Dogs. He's amazing.

• Like 4

On 9/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Page vs Uno was really good, better than I was expecting actually. Page has star written all over him. It was a little confusing as to why Uno would send the rest of the Dark Order away, unless maybe they plan to address that down the road. I've gotta give Uno credit, I think this is the best he's looked since they debuted (I had never seen their indy stuff so I was totally unfamiliar with them)

Uno has been the "reasonable" guy in the last weeks several times, probably to appeal to the possible recruits who would otherwise be repelled by the other antics of Dark Order. It's always Uno who consoles Cabana when things go wrong and now he's showing Hangman, and Dark Order repeatedly tried to talk Hangman into joining, that they can have a fair match - to show that Dark Order is not just evil.

Uno is the evil guy that's playing a nice guy - to lure in the new recruits.

• Like 2

A few days out and I’m not sure about Orange losing to Brodie to set up Cody’s return. Cassidy CAN lose but that doesn’t mean he should especially after winning a feud with Jericho and then Cody... I’m not going to say he’s stealing heat or anything but OC is on the up and this loser spot could’ve been anyone, maybe even someone Cody is connected with. Unless this is leading to Orange and Cody as a team of equals, it felt once again like a good act had to suffer so Cody could be the star. We’ll see how it plays out.

52 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

A few days out and I’m not sure about Orange losing to Brodie to set up Cody’s return. Cassidy CAN lose but that doesn’t mean he should especially after winning a feud with Jericho and then Cody... I’m not going to say he’s stealing heat or anything but OC is on the up and this loser spot could’ve been anyone, maybe even someone Cody is connected with. Unless this is leading to Orange and Cody as a team of equals, it felt once again like a good act had to suffer so Cody could be the star. We’ll see how it plays out.

Considering all the fuckery that was going on from the Dark Order I don't think it hurts Orange that much.  I don't know if it came across that way but by coming back despite Brodie's goons it if anything kept him strong enough to not look like a goober.  If DO wasn't there then I would agree with your point.

• Like 1