DVDVR Message Board

Late Night Dynamite 9/22 & Regular Night Dynamite 9/23

Web Conn

Man I cringed up a bit when Miro started hobbling after going to the outside. Thankfully it looks like he's ok. That match left a lot to be desired. I feel like it would have been better to have him maul Sonny Kiss in a singles match, then maybe set up a tag in another couple weeks after he's had a couple matches on Dark to shake off the rust  You could hear everyone's sphincters tighten up when JR called it The Accolade. 

Page vs Uno was really good, better than I was expecting actually. Page has star written all over him. It was a little confusing as to why Uno would send the rest of the Dark Order away, unless maybe they plan to address that down the road. I've gotta give Uno credit, I think this is the best he's looked since they debuted (I had never seen their indy stuff so I was totally unfamiliar with them)

Lee vs Cassidy was a good David vs Goliath match (only with Goliath winning of course). John Silver was hilarious every time he was on camera. I don't think he'll ever be a main event level player, but he strikes me as a Santino Marella type of comedy guy who can stay over and be employed for several years.  Orange got the right amound of offense in I think. It was probably Brodie's toughest singles match since Moxley so Orange doesn't lose any face by losing. I think he's about at that level where he can be shuffled back and forth between mid-card and upper level/main event status and still be as popular as ever. 

Hardy promo was awful, and Private Party weren't much better (but they're young so I'll give them a pass). FTR's 20 minute stipulation is interesting, but man they really need to let Tully do like 90% of the talking. Neither guy is good on the mic. 

Ladie's tag was decent, better than Rosa vs Ivellise from last week. I'm sure it's building to a Rosa vs Shida rematch. I really wish Rosa would sign with AEW full time. 

Moxley vs Kingston was everything I wanted it to be. Those chops.... good god. I'm so glad to see Kingston getting a big time shot finally. And his promo earlier in the night calling out the "sports entertainer"... great stuff. I'd assume Kingston is gonna be used to keep Mox on TV with something to do until Archer can come back but I'd love to see them get a full fledged program lasting a couple of months. Both are such great promos it would be great TV. 

• Like 1

Good show overall!  

Mox and Kingston!  Holy fuck.  Just beating the shit out of each other and ending with a bulldog choke.  Oh yes that is the stuff right there.  Postmatch beatdown was nice.  Too bad about Archer.  I guess they save the six man for when he comes back?  Or is the title match then?  I can't remember.

The Bad Romance/Wedding Party tag was average.  I think the faces got a little too much offense and it went a little too long.  Also, Sonny Kiss needs work.  A lot of his shit is really overchoreographed, to the point where he dropped down to duck a punch BEFORE Sabian threw it.  I was also hoping Miro had a new finisher or something.

Uno/Hangman was good.  Loving Omega getting shittier every week, with the fat-shaming Uno this week.  Nice job calling out Page's tights on the intro graphic.  Also digging evil asshole Bucks.

Lee/Cassidy was good but, in kayfabe, what's the justification for allowing Lee to have like 10 dudes at ringside?  Monsoon would be asking about managers' licenses.  I also don't like the non-DQ when Reynolds jumps into the ring.  

Oh lord Cody wtf.  Just when I think the guy understands pro wrestling, this shit.  Look...when a guy destroys you in three minutes and him and his pals demolish your family, what you DON'T do is dress up in your dandy/fop/Sunday Best/fancy lad gear, wait for your elaborate entrance and pyro to finsh, then go fight.  Fuck, man.  After what happened, I was hoping for some Rocky shit where Cody learns that he was getting too cocky and fancy, and comes back raw, ready to whip ass.  Instead, we got Rocky coming out to fight Drago dressed as Uncle Sam and dancing to the ring to Living in America.  What a goof.  Also, you'd think a dude who wears Lubitons and expensive clothes could afford to pay someone to color his hair properly instead of using Nice and Easy or Miss Clairol and going 10 shades too dark. Motherfucker looked like Eddie Munster out there.

Speaking of not getting wrestling, why is the heel the one demanding a dog collar match?  The babyface is supposed to do that AFTER we've established the heel is a coward who runs away.  I did love Brodie's "yelling into the camera holding a gimmick" old school promo, as well as dropping some "God's Gonna Cut You Down" lyrics.

While we're on the looks tip, Jericho needs to get his bronzer blended in better.  Brownish orange face, white around the eyes, hairline, and mouth.  My dude looked like Trump.

Really like Rosa's Animal tribute paint.  Was hoping for a Doomsday Device finisher.

JR back to his old tricks, trying to get the women over as badasses by saying that they won't cook you dinner, then shitting on Excalibur for name dropping Kawada.  Oh well.  We got two good weeks anyway.

Tully was lost as fuck on that promo.  I do like how FTR is low key afraid of the Best Friends.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Show was a blast, especially that main event! Ever since Kingston brought up All Japan on the podcast I’ve been rewatching the Four Pillars, which was the perfect lead up to Mox/Kingston. Eddie clearly takes cues from Kawada but he’s molded it into a modern western style that has such immediacy you can’t help but take him seriously, even only a month in the company and with less than a day lead up to the match. They even broke out the “no sell a devastating suplex to hit my own” spot which I normally dislike but as an homage I couldn’t help but smile. Great shit and it looks like they aren’t done.

Opening tag was ugly but Miro looks amazing and Kip seems to be getting some heat off this too. Hopefully the matches get a little tighter, as said Miro has been off for a few months but everyone else have been active. Love the GAME OVAAAAH finisher though. Brodie Lee is also great, it’s awesome to see him kill it every week and I hope he keeps the belt but I suspect he won’t. Cody’s aesthetic choices are very... youthful? As in they seem unwise?

And I hate to go down this road again, but JR was distractingly bad, calling things incorrectly and getting lost a number of times. I didn’t mind at first because Ross does bring some history and humour to the show but when he’s hurting the show this bad sometimes I just mute the TV, and I don’t want to do that. Matt Hardy also biffed it but I thought Private Party came off well, working with Jericho can only help them.

• Like 2

Glad somebody captured the pure WTFness of this sequence:

I’ve never seen someone who wasn’t concussed forget what they just did two seconds ago.

It was shortly after this you could see Rosa and Shida just blatantly calling out what Ivelisse and Diamante were supposed to be doing.  Like, literally pointing where they should be and waving them over to attack them (and not in a YEAH BRING IT ON kind of way).

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm fairly certain Excalibur pissed in JR's coffee at some point. 

Just downright hostile to him all night.

Yeah I only watched the main event and when Excalibur was talking about how Kingston's ring gear was inspired by Kawada, Ross made a snarky "Well of course everyone knew that".   Listen I understand that Excalibur mostly appeals to internet fans and some of his references are way too deep but don't act like a douchebag because he is dropping knowledge on people

by the way Kingston just chopping the shit out of people is great.  Moxley's chest was getting messed up bad.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah I only watched the main event and when Excalibur was talking about how Kingston's ring gear was inspired by Kawada, Ross made a snarky "Well of course everyone knew that".   Listen I understand that Excalibur mostly appeals to internet fans and some of his references are way too deep but don't act like a douchebag because he is dropping knowledge on people

by the way Kingston just chopping the shit out of people is great.  Moxley's chest was getting messed up bad.  

In Ross's mind, knowledge of Japanese wrestling makes you a huge fucking nerd, while name dropping workers from 50 years ago, like Ray Stevens, on a modern wrestling show is awesome.  I want Excalibur to name drop a famous Steve Williams program from Japan so I can see JR's head explode from the confusion of not knowing how to react.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Excalibur also mentioned Rosa's championships in Japan a few weeks back to which Ross replied, "Only you would know that," or something along those lines.

Ivelisse isn't so good.... Her match with thunder rosa for the title has moments where Ivelisse wasn't selling or doing any facial expressions as to what was happening. Almost like Rosa was teaching her the move or something. Really weird....

JR still lives in a classic nerd/jock world where knowing the stats of a third string college linebacker from 40 years ago is cool and knowing the name of a wrestler who isn’t American is super dorky. If he can’t modernize at least a little he should retire.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 7

I could have sworn Ivelisse was better than this.  Maybe I was distracted in the past for various reasons (looks, type of matches she was in, opponent matchups, etc.)  But I could have sworn she wasn't as bad as this and injuries aside I don't know what happened.  I do know given her reputation that I wasn't fond of her being in AEW though I don't wish anything bad to her or anything.  But I can't see how she can be around for much longer.

As for the opening tag it should have been better structured but I think Miro's leg issue threw things way off course.  Not sure happened there but he seemed to be fine at the end.  I did get a hearty laugh out of him going all M Bison (movie version) with that "Game Ovah!" phrase.

Rest of the show was pretty good.  It was a stacked lineup on paper and I'm curious to see what the ratings are for this.  And aside from the above matches the rest ranged from really good to "More of this, please!" in the main.  And lumping in Dark and Late Night they had one killer week of programming.

Eddie Kingston and Bryce Remsburg (iirc) are having a back and forth on twitter about whether it should have been stopped or not (he never tapped out). Eddie pulling out the "I'm willing to die to be World Champion" line and all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Good show overall!  

Oh lord Cody wtf.  Just when I think the guy understands pro wrestling, this shit.  Look...when a guy destroys you in three minutes and him and his pals demolish your family, what you DON'T do is dress up in your dandy/fop/Sunday Best/fancy lad gear, wait for your elaborate entrance and pyro to finsh, then go fight.  Fuck, man.  After what happened, I was hoping for some Rocky shit where Cody learns that he was getting too cocky and fancy, and comes back raw, ready to whip ass.  Instead, we got Rocky coming out to fight Drago dressed as Uncle Sam and dancing to the ring to Living in America.  What a goof.  Also, you'd think a dude who wears Lubitons and expensive clothes could afford to pay someone to color his hair properly instead of using Nice and Easy or Miss Clairol and going 10 shades too dark. Motherfucker looked like Eddie Munster out there.

Dandy Cody is if Battle Liger and Kishin Liger has a baby. The ultimate form of Cody.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2pokg717J5DQMtmFglr-

This was the only one of those photo references that I recognize. I'm not that fucking old, am I? 

EDIT: Also, I noticed Ex called a gamengiri and had to say "yes, that is real" to avoid getting ribbed for it and Ross still said something pithy

Edited by Curt McGirt

Miro made everyone else look like children in that match. Kip Sabian and Sonny Kiss should be in a developmental system learning how to work (Joey Janela is a lost cause). Their timing on spots was absolutely abysmal and made everything look incredibly fake.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised but pairing Miro with Kip seems like a really terrible booking idea so far.

I agree with the guy above about the Cody/Brodie thing. Why was Brodie so mad? He didn’t touch him and just beat up the jobbers he treats like garbage anyway.

The Young Bucks temper tantrum attempt to be bullies thing is lame and unbelievable. And FTR are the heel champs, so why would they want to alienate any fans with such stupid antics before they have that match.

The booking on AEW was really good to begin with but I think it’s kind of fallen apart the last few months. “Hey, here’s a big guy that we’re going to make it to be a monster only to lose his first big match against an established star” strategy is really bad.

The highlight of the show for me was Eddie Kingston’s sports entertainer promo.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The booking on AEW was really good to begin with but I think it’s kind of fallen apart the last few months. “Hey, here’s a big guy that we’re going to make it to be a monster only to lose his first big match against an established star” strategy is really bad.

It's questionable booking for sure. They undercut Lee, Cage, and Lance Archer that way. Lee and Archer have rebounded so it doesn't seem to be the end of the world but it certainly stalls them a little to put over Cody or Mox or Cody again. I can't fault them for having Cage lose though, he seems pretty banged up. But all this is with notable asterisk of it being during the early pandemic months so a lot of things had to be done on the fly and consistent booking understandably took a hit.