DVDVR Message Board

Who's Your Papi? - Raw - 9/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Dominic on a Ladder to decide his parentage was fucking stupid when it was done by Rey and Eddy and it's even worse this go round. This time around they've also involved Rey's daughter and her 5th grade drama student level line delivery and some incredibly creepy suggestion of a pairing with her and Murphy.

The Rey/Eddie custody battle settled via a ladder match is the greatest gimmick of all-time. It is peak wrestling ridiculousness. It was also insanely entertaining during the build — Eddie’s decent into madness starting with some creepy ass promo on a playground, the heel social worker making Dominik leave the comfort of the only family he knows, the pathos of their respective wives, etc. Telling non-wrestling fans about that match with a straight face was impossible.

That type of insane idea is why I love wrestling. There is no shortage of actual athletic competitions out there for my enjoyment. But wrestling is the only thing that can provide me with Dominik Mysterio’s familial life settled by who can climb a ladder and win papers settling the dispute. I wish all child custody hearings were settled that way.

• Like 2

So what was even the point of breaking up the IIconics? We lost the best WWE theme for them to still pretty much be working together anyway smh 

Poor Mia and Mercedes. 

I dig Zelina as a manager and mouth piece but nothing about her screams ready for Asuka. No shade. 

Edited by Jamal

The only reason the "Retribution got contracts after months of attacking WWE and we don't understand why" could be explained would be if someone high up in WWE (Shane making the most sense, Triple H making some since they're his guys/gals, or Vince or Steph or Adam Pearce) brought them in on the sly to "disrupt" WWE programming then hired them and are going to make a takeover bid for WWE. A shoot-y 'Triple H makes a bid for a hostile takeover of WWE from crazy, old out of touch Vince McMahon by sabotaging the shows with Retribution then uses his stroke to get them WWE deals and we have an all-out year-long Vince vs Triple H faction warfare would probably be some interesting programming. So you [i]could[/i] retcon this all and make it make sense. This being WWE, though, they'll likely never explain it with no endgame in sight. Plus Vince would never allow himself to be booked as the heel in that kind of storyline and the crowd would be loathe to cheer the upstarts over the established guys anyways. 

Have various backstage segments where Raw wrestlers are just generally nice and welcoming and the Retribution geeks feel bad and decide to stop being so angry.

Nattie sits Mercedes down to talk about their shared love of cats.

Mia gets her hair done by Bianca Belair

The other goobers hang out with Street Profits & War Raiders playing mini golf, beach volleyball etc

Dijak bumps into Keith Lee & they just hug it out...

Then Keith Spirit Bombs his ass, joins up with The Hurt Business, and starts the REAL takeover of Raw with MVP & Co. turning into Evolution 2.0 and winning all the gold.

We keep them together through 2021 and the main event of Mania 2022 is Cedric Alexander doing his best Batista impression as he wins the Rumble and decides to take on Bobby Lashley for the WWE title.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1

There is a rumor going around that WWE is going to turn Keith Lee heel and reveal him as the leader of Retribution.  That.... sounds like a terrible idea, but then again, it may be the only way to save the Retribution angle.  But, it's WWE so it would probably drag down everyone involved even further.

I'm kinda amused that after weeks of skulking around in ski masks and black sweats, Retribution unmasked to reveal.... even worse looking masks and ring gear.

17 hours ago, hobo joe said:

They always fuck up these outsider gimmicks by giving them contracts too early. They did it with Punk in 2011 and before that with Matt Hardy vs Edge in 05.

Wasn't the initial idea with Nexus that only Barrett was under contract? I don't remember.

The contract gimmicks are a reflection of re-signing real life because they sign as a part of the angle but they never go over in the end. Punk was the only person to remain over despite going over in the feud. He not only had Del Rio cash in MiTB briefcase successfully but then he ended up in a fued with Nash that ended up between Hunter and Nash. Matt Hardy became a mid carder again when he could've been one of the top guys on RAW for a while if they let him. Barrett wasn't the best in the ring but his ability to talk could've put him in a main event spot for a while is they gotten over Cena.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gorman said:

And let's not forget NXT's Aliyah, who has been stuck there for years, only to see Rey's daughter make it to the Raw roster with the same name.

I like Aliyah. I'm honestly amazed she survived all the purges and roster cuts. I would love to see her lead a stable as a manager/part time wrestler. She can pull off the arrogant rich girl gimmick. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

EhrKSKgWsAIjpc5?format=jpg&name=900x900

retribution is a mystery, full of faces no one sees / Vince makes a fool of you and me

Three hours so long to go, don't know why I watch this show / Tomorrow got no place to be

• Haha 4