DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2020

Dolfan in NYC

That Orlando City vs. New York City ending was the most embarrassing display of refereeing I've ever seen and somehow Orlando City was still able to win. Seriously, look this up on YouTube. You won't be disappointed.

So Gallese shouldn't have been sent off and he should've been able to stay on the pitch, correct? If so, then I can see OC appealing the decision and winning it which should allow Gallese to play in the next round.

Just now, Edwin said:

So Gallese shouldn't have been sent off and he should've been able to stay on the pitch, correct? If so, then I can see OC appealing the decision and winning it which should allow Gallese to play in the next round.

No, under the rules of the game, he does get that second yellow card and sent off (He had previously been booked for time wasting). The entire 2020 MLS season is played under the 2019-20 IFAB Laws of the game (Post season included). Basically, everything that happened was legal by the laws of the game, just the referee allowed the voice in his headset (I assume 4th official or VAR) to correct him twice.

Ok, here's a link to the official description and break down of the rules involved:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/21/what-happened-orlando-city-vs-nycfc-penalty-shootout-here-are-official-explanations (It also has the match video of what happened)

For those who are curious, but not enough to click a link and watch a video (LAZY!), here's the breakdown

1. Orlando leads NYCFC entering the fifth round of PK, 4-3. All Orlando has to do to win is for NYCFC to not score on their round (Save/Miss), or score on theirs.

2. PK taken, saved! BEDLAM ENSUES. Orlando Wins, or do they?

3. VAR contacts referee, let's him know that the Orlando keeper did not have at least one foot on the goal line as required at the time the PK was taken. This means that the PK has to be retaken, and the goalie, under the 19-20 rules (which MLS plays under the entire season, postseason included), has to be given a yellow card.

4. Since the Orlando Goalie has already received a yellow earlier in the match, that is his second yellow and thus a sending off.

5. Orlando field player gets ready to go in net, but Orlando tries to put in their backup keeper.

6. We get ready to take the PK again.

7. That little voice in the referee's head (VAR) reminds him that teams aren't allowed to make substitutions in a PK shootout. Even if it was for a sent off goalkeeper

8. Bedlam is getting pretty freaking tired at this point.

9. Field player puts on the gloves, PK retaken, goal! 4-4! But that's ok, Orlando just has to convert to win..

10. And of course, they fail. 

11. Bedlam needs a good lie down at this point.

12. Both teams score on the 6th round of PK, 5-5

13. The field player SAVES NYCFC's 7th round penalty! Finally, it's almost over... Of course, we've been at this point before...

14. NOT THIS TIME! Orlando scores, they win 6-5!

15. Bedlam lurches out to the center of the field, gives out a triumphant yell, and dies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Celtic are in their shittiest spell for a while. Lennon's side have lost four of last nine in all competitions, winning two. The Magnificent 7 in the phantom zone won't be happy.

At this point they could give the job to Hoopy and almost surely get better results.

• Like 1

Unconfirmed reports are suggesting that Papa Bouba Diop has died at the age of 42 (or 38, if you read some accounts) after a long illness. Sad if true. I'm a Fulham fan so have love him for his spell with us, but you can also throw in the winning goal when Senegal beat France.

EDIT: Or the above post.

Edited by Liam

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jesus, that's bad. Raul Jiminez leaves the pitch on a stretcher and in hospital, conscious. David Luiz never should have carried on.

Wolves have just announced he's had surgery on a fractured skull. Fuck. Best wishes to Raul Jimenez xxx.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jesus, that's bad. Raul Jiminez leaves the pitch on a stretcher and in hospital, conscious. David Luiz never should have carried on.

Jesus, all I could think about is Shibata after seeing that.

• Like 1