DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The pioneer authors of the cyberpunk genre are all as ancient as dirt and Mike Pondsmith, the head of R. Talosorian games aka creator of the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG, is not in the flower of his youth either.

So yeah, it is a game written by old people.... or at least written in such a manner to appeal to the fans of the pioneers of cyberpunk literature.... who are also old... like me....

Definitely. That's totally fine of course, but I think I'm coming to grips that I'm not a young person anymore and I kind of resent that so much of our mainstream art is from old people. Maybe it's the wrong game at the wrong time for me. I'll play it eventually and I'm sure there is a lot to like. Maybe I was hoping for more Ghost in the Shell vibes, I don't know. But between these initial feelings and the glitchiness I'm going to go back to Demon's Souls and NBA 2K for now.

There has been no word on when the next gen version will be released other than "next year", correct?  And they've already stated that we wouldn't need to purchase a new copy when that does happen iirc.

Yes, this is a game that you're getting both versions when you buy it (the stuff on PSN actaully says "You get the PS4 AND PS5 versions with this purchase").

I only played the Prologue for my Corpo, just to see how it runs on my PS4 Slim.  No major issues with performance, but I also saw I got to do some playing with my analogue stick dead zones, as I was getting a fucking TON of drift when I wasn't even touching the stick (although I also noticed a bit in AC lately, so it might be a controller issue, or the PC is reading it wrong).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Japan as a major player instead of China, the '90s hacker movie speak, the technology looks like it's from Bladerunner and a lot of other '80s futuristic dystopian movies, and that's fine but let's not pretend this isn't a Gen X vision of the future. Polygon said it best:

I've only played for ~2 hours, so this is just my initial feeling. People have been writing stories about rampant capitalist dystopian societies and how technology plays a part in alienation compounding capitalism's role forever now. It's just we're many steps closer to that reality.

Polygon didn't say anything "best."

I hate to break this to you, but there's far more people who refer to others as whores and sluts than there are not. I appreciate people being woke and sensitive or whatever, but the fact is that's just not how everyone is. Even, gasp, people who are liberal. It's a fucked up world now and while I don't see us collapsing into total chaos, I also don't think it's going to get rosier by 2077. A lot of people, even a character like Johnny, are going to talk like that.

Also, you're two hours into the game. You're pretty far away from even meeting Johnny. Hell, I'm nearly 6 hours in and I haven't met Johnny. I'd suggest staying away from reviews. Like I said at the start, Polygon didn't say anything best. I appreciate their sensitivity, but they're looking at the game through a lens that's not realistic and are almost expecting a game that let's you choose your dick size and color of pubic hair, not to mention the shape of your pubic hair, to set an example for folks to be better. I'm personally not looking for video games to set that example, especially video games like this.

My suggestion is to just avoid reading shit about the game and decide for yourself by playing it. Yeah, that can sometimes lead to stupid shit like me buying Avengers and coming to the conclusion that I wasted $80, but that's the dice you roll with AAA video games. If you want to avoid it for any reason, avoid it right now if you're playing on a PS4 or PC with older hardware.

20 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Didn't anyone else just shoot Royce in the face when you met him?

I thought about it, but didn't. I basically did everything @Caseysaid. I hacked the money chip before hand to remove the virus and talked my way out of the issue until Militech showed up. There was a moment where Royce got in my face and my only choice was to say "fuck it" and pull my gun on him. I knew there was no way I'd survive that fight so I froze, didn't choose that one option, the timer to choose ran out, and cooler heads prevailed. I had no idea that would or could even be an option.

So just a heads up, if you're on a timer to choose a response and you don't choose anything, it's not the end of the world and it can even help you.

I'm clearly not shooting enough people in the face but I've been having to work.  

I did mow down some gang members.  At least the game gives you a lot of ammo for these bullet sponge motherfuckers, but I killed a guy and stole his pants.

But he still had pants.  He must have had extra pants in his pocket or something.  I thought it would be hilarious to gun someone down and leave their twig and berries flapping in the wind, but NOOOOOOOO

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In fact, the game’s entire worldview feels like the product of someone who’s about 30 years behind the times, who may have been rebellious and liberated once but who nowadays doesn’t understand why it’s messed up to call sex workers “whores,” as Johnny routinely does.

I find this statement to be terribly amusing because the baseline environment you're dealing with is dystopian.  The planet is a crapsack world.  There is moral decay, social dysfunction, economic inequality, and political vacancy. 

People who are struggling against the meat grinder of daily life really don't give a shit about policing their vernacular and all of the worst traits of a society bubble to surface and replace civilized norms..

Or as the cyberpunk mantra goes: High Tech / Low Life. 

In the cyberpunk genre, people are shitty to each other.  They can't help it.  It's eat or be eaten.  You scratch and claw to survive and occasionally you will have the opportunity to do the right thing... and you will probably fuck that up in spite of yourself.

That being said, even in real life, people's opinions of sex workers will usually tend to be on the low side and folks who may have the most progressive and equalitarian attitudes still secretly struggle with it.   I'd love to be a fly on the wall if the writer of that Kotaku article ever had this conversation with his daughter:

"Dad, I have decided that I am going to be a sex worker!"

"What?  No daughter of mine is going to be a hooker!"

We all like to talk a good game, but how accepting are we really?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

What's your onlyfans?

Now there was my question.   All of that high tech and the Moxes still walk the streets looking for customers?  Judy Alvarez can't hook these ladies up with streaming cam services from Lizzie's tethered to an onion server and out to customers through an encrypted switch?

We have DuckDuckGo FFS.

Edited by J.T.

22 hours ago, Jiji said:

There is a big push to normalize sex work right now and onlyfans is part of it. I do appreciate your broader point. 

I have no real opinion about normalizing sex work other than I don't think anyone should judge anyone else's profession, least of all me.  Do what you gotta do to keep the lights on as long as it's legal.

But back on subject, I don't think that players with progressive sensibilities should always expect to see their ideologies reflected in the games they play, especially in a dystopian setting like this one where society tends to either be apathetic or morally bankrupt.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, and I really didn't mean for that last line to be the most important part. I just agreed with the notion that it feels like an '80s vision of the future. That's okay but I was hoping for something fresh like the reviewer.  I agree with your general point that there are a lot of people who will say things in the abstract but confronted with it in less objective terms their stance suddenly changes. Even I have issues with how even people pushing their onlyfans on simps is super objectifying in every way possible. I have no issue with the fundamental idea but I wish there wasn't an imbalance of power/money and gender, not to mention the male gaze. And that in a dystopian future, people will unlikely be considerate with language. The one thing I really appreciate is how sexualized the world is and how commodified the human body has become for not just harvesting and weaponizing but sexualizing. They did a great job with that.

I may give it another shot this weekend but tonight I'm going to try to enjoy new Cudi  (so far, so good bb) and Mandalorian.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mean, do woke people complain about the racist/sexist language in Red Dead too? 

That's really apples to oranges.   I think we'd expect to see racist and sexist attitudes in a game set in the 1800's Old West.   We might not necessarily like it, but we wouldn't be surprised.

In speculative futuristic settings, morality can be whatever you want it to be.  It can be a shiny happy space opera or a shitstorm post-apocalyptic nightmare.

People might expect more socially progressive attitudes to be prevalent in futuristic game set in California of all states, but there is nothing nice about cyberpunk society. 

Conversely, you don't expect to see too many negative societal norms pop up in a space opera.  We're all one big happy intergalactic federation.

I remember how most players were pretty outraged about the character of Ashley Williams in Mass Effect.  Ashley being a borderline xenophobe just doesn't mesh well with people's expectations of that sort of setting.  We're supposed to be pals with the extraterrestrials...   even the ones that dropped space rocks on our cities from geosynchronous orbits.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The patch on the PS5 is 17.6 gb. If this were my computer, it would have taken about 2 minutes to download. Since download times are still fucking garbage on the PS5, it's been 15 minutes with another 4 minutes to go. 

13 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Plus don't forget, you can maim and kill KKK members and that eugenics dude in RDR2 without any repercussions, so the developers are kinda showing how they feel about those "people."

Yep, and I am sure there is a gig somewhere in the game where V guns down many of the obviously ultra right wing 2nd Amendment worshipping members of 6th Street with little social outcry.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The patch on the PS5 is 17.6 gb. If this were my computer, it would have taken about 2 minutes to download. Since download times are still fucking garbage on the PS5, it's been 15 minutes with another 4 minutes to go. 

Do the ps5 download speeds increase in rest mode like they do on the ps4 (at least that was always my experience)?

Edited by Jiji

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Do the ps5 download speeds increase in rest mode like they do on the ps4 (at least that was always my experience)?

I don't think PS4 download speeds would generally increase in rest mode (and in fact, if the PS4 is wired in, it'll switch from 1000BaseT to 100BaseT when it goes into rest mode)

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'd suggest staying away from reviews.

I mean, I both appreciate this sentiment but think it is probably the wrong game to make that argument about given the very buggy state it is in on the base models. That's a case where it is actually much better to listen to the reviews than spend $80 to find out for yourself that it seems to just run awful for many people.

• Like 1