DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

What Kevin said.  The Day One update has a file size that is bigger than most games and is 60% of the size of the original game.  The entire package will be over 100 gigs after the install.  Reviewing the initial data files without the update is pretty stupid and is sure to be a negative experience.  It is the self-fulfilling prophesy of giving a bad review for a game you know will be broken.

I am happy that IGN will be doing a second review for console since that is what the majority of us will be playing the game on. Only having access to PC stock footage is disingenuous as console players will not have that kind of a visual experience.

What is a pre-day one patch anyway?  Apparently, Cyberpunk has a pre-day one patch that runs around 43 gb and a separate day one patch.  Not sure how that works.  Is there some advantage to uploading two separate patches or am I not understanding how the pre-patch works.

Review embargo must be over.  I'm not paying much attention (Cyberpunk is barely on my radar, so it will probably be awhile before I play it.  Possibly years.), but apparently the early reviews are very positive.

I will be playing Pixeljunk Eden 2 Thursday, if anyway wants to discuss that. 

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Reviewers are in a tough spot. If they have the game and can review it, they'd be dumb not to as the clicks would be high and its certainly within their right. On the flip side, playing it without the Day 1 patch means they aren't playing the version that all of us are going to be playing in a few days. I don't really have an opinion on developers doing big Day 1 patches, I can understand why some are against it but I get why they do it, but it makes pre-release reviews a little harder to take at face value if they don't take that into account.

An experienced reviewer at a site that gets pre-release games frequently should have a feel for which type of bugs and glitches are likely to see a day one fix and which kind are likely the kind that'll be around for months. The fact that the reviews for this game from said reviewers/sites seem to harp on the bugs makes me fear that it is likely they are of the latter variety.

I don't even know how IGN can call the game amazing if the game is also "busted as shit", though. It probably doesn't help that, according to outlets like Gamespot, they didn't play the game with the Day One/launch patch (but others said they did - I think getting lost in translation is that they played with the pre-release patch).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

their consensus seemed to be to do two reviews, one on release and one after the patch. 

That sounds really stupid.

It is the equivalent of Car & Driver magazine reviewing a vehicle with a blown transmission and then reviewing it again after mechanics install a brand new transmission and tune up the vehicle.

2077 had its release date delayed twice in order to give the devs more additional to chase more bugs and apply further enhancements.  Why bother to review the game without those fixes and enhancements?

Edited by J.T.

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That sounds really stupid.

It is the equivalent of Car & Driver magazine reviewing a vehicle with a blown transmission and then reviewing it again after mechanics install a brand new transmission and tune up the vehicle.

2077 had its release date delayed twice in order to give the devs more additional to chase more bugs and apply further enhancements.  Why bother to review the game without those fixes and enhancements?

Because that's the version that they released?

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Because that's the version that they released?

So you run your anti-virus protection and your OS out of the box without updates or patches?

Edited by J.T.

Gift cards from work and a buddy that I sold a PSVR stand to (told him to pay me in a PS gift card) contributed to me getting Cyberpunk for... $15.

Oh yeah. That's the stuff.

EDIT: Downloading it right now on PS5. It's 101GB. I'm pretty sure that's just the base game + the "Day Zero" patch. So I'll have another 40GB+ tomorrow on launch. Goodness.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And as per usual - the player base (not on this board) - has pretty much killed my interest in playing this (at least for a good bit)

I'll wait and see how this one patches and if opinions on it stay consistent before snagging it. Feels more like a "buy in a year for $30 kind of proposition."

I think Rippa means the Cyberpunk stans being assholes to everyone that says something mean about the game (or so I am assuming), but both points are valid. Gamestop hasn't shipped my CE yet so even if I wanted to play it this week it doesn't appear to be happening. Give them an extra week to patch anything they missed.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

No it's not.  The entire point of @J.T.'s comment was that they are playing and reviewing the pre-patched game.  

It is the version that is on the disk that you can go to the store and pay sixty dollars for. 

Which is immaterial because the patch you want them to review didn't exist when they sent out the review codes. 

If CDPR didn't want people to review a busted-ass game they should not have sent out review codes for a busted-ass game and it is insane that this is a debate.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It is the version that is on the disk that you can go to the store and pay sixty dollars for. 

Which is immaterial because the patch you want them to review didn't exist when they sent out the review codes. 

If CDPR didn't want people to review a busted-ass game they should not have sent out review codes for a busted-ass game and it is insane that this is a debate.

The main debate isn't if reviewers have the right to review the game, if they got the codes then they can go for it. The debate is if the reviews are applicable to my (and most people's) playing experience since they didn't play the same version of the game everyone else will since its basically a Day 0 patch. And if they aren't applicable, or don't take the Day 0 patch into account, in the grand scheme of things how useful are they. Seems like an odd hill to die on, the other option was to delay the game until May to get this patch on the disk, but what would the point have been.

Things like the epileptic seizure issue is a far more serious oversight since they aren't ready to patch a solution so it is going to be awhile. I'll happily judge them for any issues that remain after the patch, its not a blank check excuse for all issues that will arise.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Exactly,

It's 2020 and they have already delayed the game. If it was broken delay it again rather than get shit reviews and give out a shit product.  Remember NES, Sega, Super NES, N64?  We never received patches or 2nd chances. If the game sucked it sucked.  But never was a game put out that was broken or unplayable such as WWE 2K20.   Avengers is another perfect example of a game released too soon and sales seem to suffer because of it. 

• Like 1

I think game companies should stop announcing release dates until they're much further along into actually finishing the game. I understand that pre-orders help a lot but I can't imagine pre-ordering a ticket to a movie that's delayed over and over again and then comes out half finished. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

In the year of our lord 2020, almost every AAA game gets a day one patch.  It's part of the game now, and it's fairly ridiculous to judge a game that isn't the final version of the game.  It's like reading a book before it is edited.  Sure, it's pretty much the same book, but that final bit of editing can make a huge difference.  This game has been under development for 7+ years, and realistically it probably should have been 10, but who has the time, money, and work force to spend making 1 game for 10 years?  We're really at the point where making a video game is a race to the finish because developing a game costs a shitload money, but you don't make any money until the game is finished.  So, they work until the very last second to get the job done, and that means day one patches that fix what gets shipped out to stores.  

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It's 2020 and they have already delayed the game. If it was broken delay it again rather than get shit reviews and give out a shit product.  Remember NES, Sega, Super NES, N64?  We never received patches or 2nd chances. If the game sucked it sucked.  But never was a game put out that was broken or unplayable such as WWE 2K20.   Avengers is another perfect example of a game released too soon and sales seem to suffer because of it. 

We aren't playing 8-bit games any more.  Going back to J.T.'s original analogy, comparing a modern game is like comparing a 2021 Lamborghini to a Hot Wheels car.  The games are so much larger and more complex that they are barely even related to NES, Sega, SNES, N64 games any more.   Seriously, has anyone tried to play an N64 game recently?  I had a game night about a year or so ago and we tried to play Perfect Dark and it took about 10 minutes before we thought that game was broken and unplayable.  You can't even aim in a first person shooter, not to mention the design decision to create a game where one of the weapons makes the already blurry game even more blurry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Exactly,

This is actually False.  We got patched games in the pre-Online console era.  Sometimes it was re-release.  Sometimes it was a patch that took place in-between region releases (example: Zelda: Link to the Past has numerous bugs patched out between it's Japan release and it's North American Release.  There's a LOT of games that have multiple versions where patched copies were swapped out on store shelves on the sly.  

If you think WWE2K20 is the most broken game, you never saw some of the shit that came out in the PSX era.  I mean shit, that era had AAA games that were released UNFINISHED.  

Even some of the most beloved games of the past are bugged and broken as shit.  Zelda, SMB3, SMW, Metroid, all shit that has a ton of bugs, some game breaking.  It's rose colored glasses that stuff never went wrong in any game done before the 7th Gen.  What we get now is a side effect of games being SOOOOO complex that there's just more stuff to break, combined with an avenue to fix it on the fly.  

• Like 2