DVDVR Message Board

CYBERPUNK 2077

RIPPA

The IGN video from a week ago or so mentioned that they didn't get to the title card for about 6 hours. They also said that early on it's reminiscent of the Witcher 3 in that the UI kinda really sucks at this stage, but everything else is great.

I didn't get into the Witcher 3 until way, way late, but I thought the UI was pretty good when I played it. I assume they put a lot of work into the UI post-release and they'll do the same for Cyberpunk.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Weird that they've shipped so many discs already with a 12/10 release date.

Unusual, but not weird.  These physical copy shipments might be a pre-position effort to head off release day demand or make sure that pre-orders are satisfied. 

Given the delays, CDPR probably wants to avoid last minute shipping fiasco that would in yet another PR nightmare and the magic of online consoles still allows the devs to keep plugging away until the last minute.

Unfortunately, this just tells me that I should expect a huge update to be shoved to my console on December 10th.

Yeah, the missing VOs are just one more item on a growing list of bug fixes, gameplay improvements, and graphics tweaks.   Hopefully the update servers and bandwidth don't shit the bed when everyone tries to update all at once from every time zone on earth.

• 2 weeks later...

I set up my Series X today before coming to work.  My duty hours are from 1600-0000 until the 14th, so I can pick up my pre-order from GameStop as soon as the store opens and get in some gameplay before heading into work for the day.

Gameplay?  Who am I kidding?  I will probably spend hours in character creation alone.

I'm kinda happy that I wont be able to play Cyberpunk at release. I'm getting it, already pre-ordered, but I have to finish Assassin's Creed first and I am such a "completist" it is taking awhile. But that'll give them a few weeks to do any patching they missed the first time around anyway before I start playing it. Still pretty excited, the over-hype is real but that doesn't mean it won't be a really fun game.

Gameplay leaked of this thing on an Xbox One S, and mannnnn it's not pretty. I haven't watched anything from the PS4/PS4 Pro (besides what CDPR themselves showed), but at least on the Xbox... fuck, it's like walking through quicksand. And freezes. The characters have choppy edges around them, if that makes sense. So if it runs like this on a One S, then I wonder if it'll even run at all on a base Xbox One. That's not good.

Its possible the big Day 1 patch we are all expecting will fix some of that and that was one of the reasons for the delay. I hope so anyway, not that I'm playing it on a last gen system but I can't imagine they'd delay it this long and have it be that broken.

• Like 1

Apparently the day one patch is 40gb, so I'm guessing it will fix a lot. Managed to snag a ps5, but it doesn't come until the 16th ish, so I'm going to wait until then to install anyway. I have tempered my expectations accordingly just in case.

• Like 1

What Kevin and the King of Sparta said.   Base game is around 70 gigs and the Day One update is a little over 40 gigs.  That patch is over half the size of the baseline code for the game, so there have to be a lot of fixes and improvements in there somewhere.

I'd also like to think that CDPR would not release a game that broken after two delays and a hellish crunch time schedule, but Alpha Protocol / VtM: Bloodlines / Anthem etc.

We'll see what happens this Thursday.

Edited by J.T.

Finally broke down and pre-ordered this. Was considering waiting until I got a PS5, but I've abandoned all hope of that happening until at least after the holidays.

Won't get to play a lot of it immediately because I still have a week of my current school course to get through before I can do that, but then the holiday break hits and I'll be all over it.

I'm gonna sit on it.  Between the delays and hearing the pre-patch issues, I'm content to let this get some patches and reviews before taking the plunge.  I still got a ton of Valhalla left, then Fallen Order so I have time.

Reviews are starting to come out.

Make of the following what you will

For the above review - IGN was not allowed to use their own game play footage and had to use stock footage from CD Projekt Red and that they were only allowed access to the game on PC.

Reviewers are in a tough spot. If they have the game and can review it, they'd be dumb not to as the clicks would be high and its certainly within their right. On the flip side, playing it without the Day 1 patch means they aren't playing the version that all of us are going to be playing in a few days. I don't really have an opinion on developers doing big Day 1 patches, I can understand why some are against it but I get why they do it, but it makes pre-release reviews a little harder to take at face value if they don't take that into account.

Either way, personally I don't read reviews of games I know I am getting (or watch Youtube/Twitch/etc) as I want to be as surprised as possible. I still haven't read any Assassin's Creed reviews. Not only because I don't want to be spoiled but I don't want someone else's opinion to already seep into my brain before I can form my own, humans are weak people. In fact I'll probably have to start ignoring this thread soon so I hope everyone enjoys the game!

A lot of times, they will say up front the review copy was done before the day one update and then they do a subsequent review after getting it. That would seem to be the most honest thing to do (admittedly, you also get the clicks twice).