DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 35: Covington vs. Woodley (9/19/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He strikes me as a middleweight with his size and it's not like he'll be lacking for power. 

But on second thought, I would love to see him fight Usman. 

He could get knocked out or caught in a submission of course but his athleticism, aggression, control, and technique look world class to me. 

I mean looking at he's beat up and who he would potential have to beat up to get a title shot...it's two really gnarly roads to a title fight. 2021 Will be crazy year for that guy if he stays healthy.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Clean shaven, older Cerrone looks like post-surgery Wanderlei a little bit. Or is it just me?

Like if Wanderlei and Krzysztof Soszynski had a cousin that was related to both of them somehow.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I mean looking at he's beat up and who he would potential have to beat up to get a title shot...it's two really gnarly roads to a title fight. 2021 Will be crazy year for that guy if he stays healthy.

Yeah, I imagine the flawless victories stop pretty soon but he's just got so much going forward that it could be hard for anybody to handle, even the top of the division guys. He's the first guy in a while where I legitimately fear for his opponent. Khabib can kind of be like that but it's more of a methodical breaking down of spirit and the body. Chimaev is lights out, life altering power WITH great wrestling and top control.

• Like 1

It's not like Tyron Woodley was Mr. Activity when he was in his prime, but Jon Anik read a dismal stat at the beginning of round five that's symbolic of Woodley's last three fights. When it's going bad, it goes bad.

• Like 3

Niko Price seemed way too starstruck in that fight with Cerrone and didn't look like he wanted to beat him. 

Overall, it was a good night of fights. 

Mackenzie Dern's grappling is impressive, but I'm still not sure how she does against tougher opposition. Randa Markos has been in the UFC for six years, but the  last time she won two fights back to back was in 2013. Her record is 10-9-1. 

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Niko Price seemed way too starstruck in that fight with Cerrone and didn't look like he wanted to beat him. 

The problem with Niko Price is in the fights he's suppose to lose, he can find absurd ways to win (Randy Brown and James Vick). In other fights, he gets absolutely gets demolished because he's really a very tough gatekeeper who wins mostly on intangibles. In this fight, he's suppose to beat a faded Donald Cerrone but Niko Price isn't exactly a world beater. If this was a few years ago, Cerrone would have beaten him rather easily cause this is the type of fighter Cerrone use to handle rather easily. So it's still an indictment of Cerrone because Niko Price is not gonna be a UFC title contender anytime soon.

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Mackenzie Dern's grappling is impressive, but I'm still not sure how she does against tougher opposition.

Well, we've seen how she does against better opposition. Against someone like Amanda Ribas who is perhaps the future of strawweight, she's not gonna do so well. Ribas has a pretty good BJJ, not world level like Dern but good enough. In terms of striking, it's no contest. Can Dern improve her striking? Uh, she has to somehow figure out a way to become a better athlete. The tippity top of the division and maybe one or two girls under that tier are gonna be too athletic for her. If your wrestling is not very good, you're gonna need some help from other girls being overzealous following her to ground. That's happened multiple times in her UFC fights so far, and she hasn't had that many. If you compare her to someone like Virna Jandiroba who also has awesome BJJ, Jandiroba would be Maia to Dern's Thales Leites. Virna isn't an amazing wrestler, but she has more creative ways to get a fight to the floor. That doesn't mean she won't get stifled because we've seen that several times with Maia. However, she isn't shooting ugly, futile TDs when her first attempts fail. Dern, on the other hand, looks like she is in the first few weeks of integrating wrestling into her game anytime she faces resistance to her takedowns. It's not pretty.

What also gives me pause is she just got kicked out of another gym (Black House), and it looks like her husband may be a little too overbearing on her career. She doesn't need that at this point in her career. She's still training with Vanessa Demopoulos and Tabatha Ricci, who still train at Black House, at another gym. She also picked up Jason Parilo, which I guess should help her striking. It just seems like it's a matter of time because she changes gyms again.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc unpinned this topic