DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

43 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Star-making turn for Shotzi tonight. She looked great in defeat. Good stuff with her and Io. Curious to see who the new number one contender will be. 

That match was great.  I loved the German on the apron.

• Like 3

Someone clearly forgot to tell Io & Shotzi this wasn't a Takeover. Their match was so damn awesome and easily one of the best women's matches in WWE this year. Shotzi looked amazing taking Io as far as she did. I just wish that final moonsualt went a little better. I felt for both of them on that one. Was nice to see them still be friendly at the end.

Kacy/Kayden vs. Xia/Jessie was a fun showcase for Kacy & Kayden. Hopefully Xia walking off post match leads to some interesting development for her.

Breezango vs. Imperium was good stuff once again.

The stuff with Dain & Drake tonight was fun.

Feels weird seeing Kyle O'Reilly get a face moment holding off Ciampa from murdering Jake Atlas.

The Garganos promo was amusing. Tegan's wasn't too bad either.

Thatcher/Priest was solid, probably good even, but I just have trouble giving a damn about Priest despite thinking he is generally fine in the ring.

The Gauntlet Eliminator sounds kind of dumb as a name. The match itself will probably be fine though I don't see why they couldn't just do a normal gauntlet match instead. The Women's battle royale should be fun. Not quite sure who actually comes out the winner. I would assume Rhea, but I kind of have a feeling they will have Raquel get in her way. 

Thought this was a solid episode overall. 

• Like 1

i didn't watch the show so it was probably explained but isn't all gauntlet matches elimination matches?  It isn't like the 3rd person in the match just appears in the middle of the 1st and 2nd person wrestling.  Then it will be a Royal Rumble with pins and submission

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

i didn't watch the show so it was probably explained but isn't all gauntlet matches elimination matches?  It isn't like the 3rd person in the match just appears in the middle of the 1st and 2nd person wrestling.  Then it will be a Royal Rumble with pins and submission

No it is like a Royal Rumble with pins and submissions. The first two wrestle for four minutes (unless one gets pinned or submitted) then the third guy enters. It sounds like every four minutes a new person enters so the match will last at least 12 minutes based on the interval. 

The thing I found annoying is they had clips of more than 5 wrestlers so we have no clue who’s actually in the match. 

• Like 1

Thatcher/Priest is the best Priest match I've ever seen. Just an absolute banger of a match. He finally brought the intensity and looked great.

Some thoughts on this week's show:

Shotzi and Io brought it to surprise of no one, ever! Great effort by both, nasty suplexes! Cattle Mutilation!!! And an escape from it, too! Actually, the name of the move is offensive to bovine and gross ( as Daniel Bryan has pointed out), so let's call it something more logical, shall we? Like, "Lumber Jack", that's not taken, is it? The match ending moonsault was nasty, but if you were really trying to beat your opponent, THAT is the way to hit it, with knees to the stomach. Nice show of respect, after the match.

Ciampa with another quick win, Desmond Troy didn't stand a chance. Ooh, someone's looking for another ass kicking, let's see how that goes? Your funeral, Atlas!

Theory open challenge didn't go too well for him (surprise surprise), but he kept selling the arm really well through, so there is that! Kushida showing plenty of intensity since showing back up! 

Candice whining about Tegan, the last weeks dinner-turned-fiasco, and the TV was funny. Johnny, goddammit, you can't order the most expensive kind of TV and send Nox the bill, if the TV was some obsolete piece of junk to begin with, you dick! Nevermind WHO actually broke it! Nox's rebuttal was better. I feel like they are going to eliminate each other from the battle royal next week.

Breezango vs Imperium was a hell of a match and the ending spot was really good! A bit surprised by the successful title defense, but that's great for the former Fashion Police!

Yay! Kacy wins! About time! Really swank tag team moves by Kacy and Kayden! Xia Li heel turn coming up? Well, it may do her good, let's see how that comes about.

I was going to say that it seems like Dain-Maverick story just skipped an entire chapter, but no, actually it didn't! Ok, this time, Dain cold-cocking (maybe I should have just said knocking out) Maverick was actually funny, as Drake got a bit too excited!

Hey, Kyle O'Reilly still has a conscience! Now, Ciampa vs O'Reilly one on one should be really something!

Hey, another multi-man elimination match for the #1 contendership. Oh, the Finn promo earlier in the evening was bad ass! His character has been so much better in every way since coming back to NXT. No idea who will be the one facing him, at this point, though. That could be a good thing, however. Surprise for me next week, then.

I'd be shocked if Rhea and Gonzales aren't the last two in the ring in next week's battle royal!

Thatcher's a huge guy! There was no way Priest could play the big man against him. Priest DID change up his game plan a little bit, and it worked out really well for him! Intense match, very convincing win for Priest, but this didn't do any favors to Thatcher. I wonder what's next for him.

Overall, good show, nothing amazing, but very entertaining nonetheless.

Edited by Shartnado
A few corrections

Thatcher is one of those guys who's mastered the art of seeming bigger than he is. Having stood five feet from him, he's a legit 6'1", maybe 220 lbs. I was expecting him to be 6'3-6'4 ish, but he wasn't. He's the opposite of Matt Morgan (who is a legit seven footer but somehow never feels big, let alone giant).

On 9/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, AxB said:

Thatcher is one of those guys who's mastered the art of seeming bigger than he is. Having stood five feet from him, he's a legit 6'1", maybe 220 lbs. I was expecting him to be 6'3-6'4 ish, but he wasn't. He's the opposite of Matt Morgan (who is a legit seven footer but somehow never feels big, let alone giant).

Yeah, well I'm 5'8" 185 lbs, so he's a huge guy to me! I'm very curious as to how much  (in general ) do they still kayfabe guys weights and heights these day? It's hard to tell, unless it's something ridiculous like what they say about Adam Cole! Even that, I only know they lie "a lot" ,but have no real idea how much that is?

Did some calculations, and apparently I'm not 5'8", but rather under 5'7", but 185 lbs is currently accurate, the point stands even more, that a 6'1" person seems very tall to me.

Edited by Shartnado
Height calculations

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, well I'm 5'8" 185 lbs, so he's a huge guy to me! I'm very curious as to how much  (in general ) do they still kayfabe guys weights and heights these day? It's hard to tell, unless it's something ridiculous like what they say about Adam Cole! Even that, I only know they lie "a lot" ,but have no real idea how much that is?

They definitely do at least an inch or two and twenty or so pounds. Daniel Bryan is billed 5'10" and 210 lbs and he's 5'9" and about 180.

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

They definitely do at least an inch or two and twenty or so pounds. Daniel Bryan is billed 5'10" and 210 lbs and he's 5'9" and about 180.

Yeah, I think he said as much in his book. I would be very interested in some stats if they were available. It would be nice to compare the actual sizes of athletes from the 80's, 90's, '00's and beyond, to see how they stack up? I mean, wrestlers are smaller now overall, but are they really as much smaller than one would think?

I mean, Koko B. Ware was always billed at 228lbs in the WWF. If you put a guy from today who they say weighs the same next to him in his prime, how much difference would there be between them? These things, for some reason, have always been interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I think he said as much in his book. I would be very interested in some stats if they were available. It would be nice to compare the actual sizes of athletes from the 80's, 90's, '00's and beyond, to see how they stack up? I mean, wrestlers are smaller now overall, but are they really as much smaller than one would think?

I mean, Koko B. Ware was always billed at 228lbs in the WWF. If you put a guy from today who they say weighs the same next to him in his prime, how much difference would there be between them? These things, for some reason, have always been interesting to me.

It is interesting.

latest?cb=20170919203226MV5BMzNjZTZhM2YtMDMyOC00YTUwLTlmZDYtMTg4

Montez Ford is billed 232. Of course, Koko is also supposedly 6" shorter.

Edited by Godfrey

4 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I see the WWE started billing Ford at 6'1. I swear they had him at 6'4 for a while which didn't make any sense.

They had Thatcher billed at 6'3 in the graphics on Wednesday which matches their typical attribute bumping.

Yeah, Ford looks 6'4" when in the ring with Viking Raiders, but not so much with some others. If Thatcher is in fact really 6'1" 220ish lbs, then there is not much chance that Damian Priest is 6'5" 247lbs (or what ever they say he is) or anywhere close to that, in reality.

Oh, and just a tidbit on Koko, when he got that hairdo in that photo, Gorilla mentioned on Prime Time, that Koko also put on something like 30( or was it 20) additional pounds and yet he was announced at 228lbs, like always.

Edited by Shartnado
Koko anecdote

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, Ford looks 6'4" when in the ring with Viking Raiders, but not so much with some others. If Thatcher is in fact really 6'1" 220ish lbs, then there is not much chance that Damian Priest is 6'5" 247lbs (or what ever they say he is) or anywhere close to that, in reality.

Oh, and just a tidbit on Koko, when he got that hairdo in that photo, Gorilla mentioned on Prime Time, that Koko also put on something like 30( or was it 20) additional pounds and yet he was announced at 228lbs, like always.

I believe Montez and Ford were said to be 6’6” and 6’4” respectively when they debuted but that was quickly dialled back.

And wasn’t it Koko that told Jericho if he wanted to get bigger for wrestling he should drink more beer? Putting on 20 lbs of beer weight is a solid life choice.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I believe Montez and Ford were said to be 6’6” and 6’4” respectively when they debuted but that was quickly dialled back.

And wasn’t it Koko that told Jericho if he wanted to get bigger for wrestling he should drink more beer? Putting on 20 lbs of beer weight is a solid life choice.

Oh, I hadn't heard that one before! Jericho sure took that advice to heart, didn't he? A guy I briefly worked with a bunch of years back had been given advice that in order to put on weight, one had to mix a whole pack of vanilla ice cream into his protein shake. He told me he had tried it and sure did the trick.

So beer and ice cream, solid life choices in one is to bulk up and I guess have fun doing it? Being on a clean bulk can be really a chore, if you don't enjoy eating a whole bunch of relatively bland food!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Oh, I hadn't heard that one before! Jericho sure took that advice to heart, didn't he? A guy I briefly worked with a bunch of years back had been given advice that in order to put on weight, one had to mix a whole pack of vanilla ice cream into his protein shake. He told me he had tried it and sure did the trick.

So beer and ice cream, solid life choices in one is to bulk up and I guess have fun doing it? Being on a clean bulk can be really a chore, if you don't enjoy eating a whole bunch of relatively bland food!

Whoa, that's a lot! Glad it worked for that guy. It takes time and effort to design clean bulking recipes that actually taste good but it's possible. It won't touch ice cream and beer though and at the levels wrestlers and body builders have to eat I bet it gets boring pretty quickly. I'd like to try one of those pre-packed meals they all cart around in their rolly bags, they look terrible.

28 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Whoa, that's a lot! Glad it worked for that guy. It takes time and effort to design clean bulking recipes that actually taste good but it's possible. It won't touch ice cream and beer though and at the levels wrestlers and body builders have to eat I bet it gets boring pretty quickly. I'd like to try one of those pre-packed meals they all cart around in their rolly bags, they look terrible.

Speaking of beer and calories, Brian Blair said in an interview once that during the WWF run in the 80's, they only had one meal a day (I don't know who all were included in the "we" in question) and rest of the days calories came from beer.

It was left unsaid, but I assume that this diet also included plenty of steroids to keep up the muscle mass, because that sounds absolutely crazy for an "athlete". I mean it is much easier to consume plenty of calories in liquid form, but this method sounds quite questionable at best!

On 9/18/2020 at 3:20 AM, Shartnado said:

Some thoughts on this week's show:

Shotzi and Io brought it to surprise of no one, ever! Great effort by both, nasty suplexes! Cattle Mutilation!!! And an escape from it, too! Actually, the name of the move is offensive to bovine and gross ( as Daniel Bryan has pointed out), so let's call it something more logical, shall we? Like, "Lumber Jack", that's not taken, is it? The match ending moonsault was nasty, but if you were really trying to beat your opponent, THAT is the way to hit it, with knees to the stomach. Nice show of respect, after the match.

Great Muta had a match in WCW with Steve Casey (I think; haven't seen the match in at least a decade).  Muta botched the moonsault and knee'd Casey in the midsection, so the commentary team sold it like Muta decided to be sadistic and tried to injure the kid.  

At the time, I thought that was a reasonable explanation.  It wasn't until I rewatched the match years later (and was a fair bit older) that I realized Mutoh probably just didn't get the rotation right and recovered as best he could.

8 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Great Muta had a match in WCW with Steve Casey (I think; haven't seen the match in at least a decade).  Muta botched the moonsault and knee'd Casey in the midsection, so the commentary team sold it like Muta decided to be sadistic and tried to injure the kid.  

At the time, I thought that was a reasonable explanation.  It wasn't until I rewatched the match years later (and was a fair bit older) that I realized Mutoh probably just didn't get the rotation right and recovered as best he could.

Yes, this seems to happen ever so often. The first Blue Blazer match I ever saw was a Superstars squash against Joe Cruz and he too ended the match with a moonsault that resulted in both knees or shins landing into Cruz's abdomen. I thought that was exactly what he was going for at the time and it looked brutal.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, Shartnado said:

The match ending moonsault was nasty, but if you were really trying to beat your opponent, THAT is the way to hit it, with knees to the stomach. Nice show of respect, after the match.

This is like the 3rd time she's been off her mark. She seems to have better accuracy coming from inside the ring to the outside.

Wonder why it's off for her, different ring springiness?