DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The thing is...if someone decided to pull a Yoshiko and just beat the holy bejesus out of someone for real, that's the end of them in North America. It's 2020. You won't survive that. You might end up in another promotion overseas, but you ain't working a major promotion over here anytime soon. Moreover, in this landscape, no one can really afford to burn bridges. It's essentially WWE, ROH, AEW, and maybe Impact or bust. You fuck up here, and your career is doomed unless you love working indie shots.

You basically have no choice but to cooperate with each other in the ring.

Did Sexy Star get booked in the US at all after she broke Rosemary's arm?

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

If you care about this sort of thing, Meltzer has rated the Parking Lot Fight as 5 stars.

If he rated it anything other than that after saying it was a MOTYC on WOR, he would get some backlash.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

When you're going to bring in a worker of Sexy Star's calibre, some baggage is expected. But man, what a worker she is. 

• Haha 2

Here we go: Sexy Star didn't break her arm. She gave her a bad arm strain basically. However, the emotion from Rosemary's complaints made it seem like that

The way Konnan explained it, both Ayako and Lady Shani had heat with Sexy Star going into that match (sidenote: Ayako Hamada had tweet recently that makes me think she isn't a big fan of her three years later). Rosemary just happened to be an innocent bystander, but it's not like Sexy Star made her arm go the wrong way like Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate in their first fight. However, everyone who saw the video or heard about it made it seem that way.

• Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here we go: Sexy Star didn't break her arm. She gave her a bad arm strain basically. However, the emotion from Rosemary's complaints made it seem like that

The way Konnan explained it, both Ayako and Lady Shani had heat with Sexy Star going into that match (sidenote: Ayako Hamada had tweet recently that makes me think she isn't a big fan of her three years later). Rosemary just happened to be an innocent bystander, but it's not like Sexy Star made her arm go the wrong way like Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate in their first fight. However, everyone who saw the video or heard about it made it seem that way.

That doesn't really excuse Sexy Star taking it out on Rosemary.

• Like 1

That doesn't really excuse Sexy Star taking it out on Rosemary.

I'm not condoning what she did, but it's a case of folks making up something that didn't happen. All these vets are talking about blackballing Sexy Star from the business. Like, you realize in the 70s, 80s, 90s what people did to each other (between ribs, hazing, drugging people, shitting in people's food, taking liberties with other wrestlers) would rightfully get you blackballed today and makes Sexy Star doing a shitty armbar on Rosemary looked like a infant trying to grab your finger. It was completely overblown just like this is, which is likely why they had to take down Renner's article.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So looking at this clip, if the shoot stuff was overblown, potentially giving Ivelisse the benefit of the doubt, it's just a really bad sell job.

That dickhead 'reported' that AEW had no interest in bringing Ivelisse in, not even to do jobs on Dark. And he made that claim in July.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm not condoning what she did, but it's a case of folks making up something that didn't happen. All these vets are talking about blackballing Sexy Star from the business. Like, you realize in the 70s, 80s, 90s what people did to each other (between ribs, hazing, drugging people, shitting in people's food, taking liberties with other wrestlers) would rightfully get you blackballed today and makes Sexy Star doing a shitty armbar on Rosemary looked like a infant trying to grab your finger. It was completely overblown just like this is, which is likely why they had to take down Renner's article.

From what I read on the forums, they were saying it didn't have any other information sourced from Meltzer or Alvarez and that's why it got taken down.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jiji said:

I'd say that was a top 5 AEW match for me. Can't say it beats the emotion of thee tag match or Cody/Dustin. It's up there with Stadium Stampede and the Pac/Omega iron man. Probably beats out Hangman and Omega vs. Lucha Bros. 

Mine is similar to you:

1. Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes, AEW Double or Nothing 2019. *****.

2. Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks, AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

3. Best Friends vs. Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 16th September 2020.

4. Kenny Omega vs. PAC's Iron Man match on AEW Dynamite, 26th February 2020.

5. Stadium Stampede. AEW Double or Nothing II 2020.

Honourable mentions to Jericho/Guevara vs. Omega/Hardy. AEW Dynamite, 5th June 2020.

• Like 1

okay the parking lot brawl was great, more on that below 

Taz joining Robert's for now, plus the brawl afterwards with Hobbs running in, king sized. Plus the Archer promo, wow! He's been stealing the spotlight with his matches and aggression, maybe hand him the mic more often if he's always that good?

Friends of Kingston was great, when do we see him and Archer? Please!

Private Party need more matches with FTR, sharpen them up right quick imho

Solid stuff from what I saw, catching up on everything I skipped tomorrow ?

NGL after the Hellacious Hardy bump recently the main had me cringing with anxiety at some of those spots, my Gotch!? hoping everyone walks out fine from it, bumps and bruises and cuts aside. Somebody mentioned the close call on the sledgehammer through the windshield and just.. FUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKK! Please please never again, unless it's a cinematic edited match. I could barely make it through the match after that spot, worried that something awful was just around the corner. Can't even imagine watching it live ?

Once it ended I loved it, but really hated how jumpy I felt about watching some spots after the Hardy/concrete bump ? have to rewatch again definitely 

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 3

To put the Rosa/Ivelisse thing to bed, Alvarez on WOL says he is 99.9999% sure there wasn't any shooting in the match. Moreover, his AEW sources had not heard anything about that and there was no incident backstage. Unless they have an editor I don't know about, not only is Renner a shitty recapper but he puts up made up stories. Between Renner and Nason, I don't know who is getting paid for being more terrible at what they do on that website. It's neck-and-neck.

Edit: Oh lord, Renner is THE editor. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 9/19/2020 at 3:18 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

To put the Rosa/Ivelisse thing to bed, Alvarez on WOL says he is 99.9999% sure there wasn't any shooting in the match. Moreover, his AEW sources had not heard anything about that and there was no incident backstage. Unless they have an editor I don't know about, not only is Renner a shitty recapper but he puts up made up stories. Between Renner and Nason, I don't know who is getting paid for being more terrible at what they do on that website. It's neck-and-neck.

Edit: Oh lord, Renner is THE editor. 

Funny thing is I went to elementary school with Renner. Imagine my shock seeing that he was doing stuff for the Observer years later! Whodda thunk it. 

I don't remember any reporting he did. I saw a few recaps that covered things well enough for random shows. But if the article was bad enough to be taken down then so be it. 

• Thanks 1