DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, I'm absolutely guilty of fantasy booking. I remember doing it as recently as when Blood & Guts was still a thing and didn't have teams announced. By no means am I policing any thread - that would be gross. Apologies to everyone!

(Ivelisse is still better than Riho COME AT ME BRO)

EDIT: Damn, now I'm thinking about an Ivelisse vs Serena Deeb match and I want to watch that.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Check that dude's posting in the NBA forum tho (w/ love)

Hey there I’m actually defending one of the top 5 players in the league at least. ? Plus I don’t know of anyone that actually thinks the guy I disagree with is right in any of his basketball opinions.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hey, I'm absolutely guilty of fantasy booking. I remember doing it as recently as when Blood & Guts was still a thing and didn't have teams announced. By no means am I policing any thread - that would be gross. Apologies to everyone!

(Ivelisse is still better than Riho COME AT ME BRO)

The only thing I can say about your come at me bro is what’s the one Ivelisse match that’s as good as Riho vs Nyla from Dynamite? The one where Nyla won the title I mean.

I mean, that's a low bar for me to jump over, since I wasn't as high on Riho/Nyla from the debut of Dynamite like everyone else was. But to answer your question - it basically hinges on how you feel about intergender matches, because I think her best stuff was in Lucha Underground. I've seen a handful of her SHINE matches - they're all decent to okay, but nothing mind-blowing or anything.

I think she wrestled Taya later in LU's life span and that was pretty good, I haven't seen it in a long time though. But it's fucking Taya Valkyrie also, whom I would kill to have in AEW.

EDIT: Oops, just realized you meant the one where Nyla won, not Riho. I'll have to rewatch that one, since Nyla progresses leaps and bounds every time she's on TV. That first Dynamite match did nothing for me, but I think I remember actually liking the one where Nyla won the title.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I mean, that's a low bar for me to jump over, since I wasn't as high on Riho/Nyla from the debut of Dynamite like everyone else was. But to answer your question - it basically hinges on how you feel about intergender matches, because I think her best stuff was in Lucha Underground. I've seen a handful of her SHINE matches - they're all decent to okay, but nothing mind-blowing or anything.

I think she wrestled Taya later in LU's life span and that was pretty good, I haven't seen it in a long time though. But it's fucking Taya Valkyrie also, whom I would kill to have in AEW.

No I’m referencing the Nyla/Riho match from the February 12th Dynamite. That’s the match that I enjoyed more. I’m with you on not thinking the debut Dynamite match wasn’t anything special. 

I actually really liked Ivelisse in LU. She was amazing there. My take was so far in AEW she hasn’t shown any of that (to me). And again I’ll happily agree with you on Taya. She’d do incredible work in AEW, and help establish their women’s division for sure. 

We’ve had so many cases of people who looked like stars in LU but didn’t really shine elsewhere that we pretty much know who was and wasn’t a product of that environment. I definitely count her as someone who benefitted heavily from that type of TV show. 

I won’t take up for Riho though, as I was similarily cold to her. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

4 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

No I’m referencing the Nyla/Riho match from the February 12th Dynamite. That’s the match that I enjoyed more. I’m with you on not thinking the debut Dynamite match wasn’t anything special. 

I actually really liked Ivelisse in LU. She was amazing there. My take was so far in AEW she hasn’t shown any of that (to me). And again I’ll happily agree with you on Taya. She’d do incredible work in AEW, and help establish their women’s division for sure. 

I mean, to be completely fair, that was also only her second singles match on Dynamite I'm pretty sure. I liked her tag matches with Diamante in the tournament, and most recently her vs. KiLynn King on Dark. Also, rounding back to the hair thing - the match with KiLynn shows why she has the long hair, because she's so obvious about calling her spots and at least the long hair covers it sometimes I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

We’ve had so many cases of people who looked like stars in LU but didn’t really shine elsewhere that we pretty much know who was and wasn’t a product of that environment. I definitely count her as someone who benefitted from that format of TV show. 

Buuuut then again, this is also true as well.

At the end of the day, Ivelisse is "acceptable", but nothing world class. But AEW's women's division is so lacking that acceptable is a god's send right now.

• Like 1

Tucker Carlson is up next and if Vince would swallow his pride a little bit and move to Tuesday,  AEW would be THE #1 program on cable television for Wednesday nights. 

TNT better be coming up off that fuck money real soon because AEW is now to the point where they are severely undervalued. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

The only thing I can say about your come at me bro is what’s the one Ivelisse match that’s as good as Riho vs Nyla from Dynamite? The one where Nyla won the title I mean.

Ivelisse vs Taya streetfight at Wrestlecade a couple years back was just as good.  2nd best match I've ever seen live- and the best had Naito, Hiromu, Kenny, and Ibushi in it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, alstein said:

Ivelisse vs Taya streetfight at Wrestlecade a couple years back was just as good.  2nd best match I've ever seen live- and the best had Naito, Hiromu, Kenny, and Ibushi in it.

That’s what I get for not specifying AEW match from Ivelisse. ? If her match with Taya was as good as one featuring those four it must have been amazing (and out of those four I’d say Hiromu is my personal favorite). 

10 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

We’ve had so many cases of people who looked like stars in LU but didn’t really shine elsewhere that we pretty much know who was and wasn’t a product of that environment. I definitely count her as someone who benefitted heavily from that type of TV show. 

I won’t take up for Riho though, as I was similarily cold to her. 

I just referenced the match I did as it was the only Riho match off the top of my head that I enjoyed a great deal. I also felt like it was one of the better women’s matches of the year as far as AEW goes. 

Going back to some of the discussion about where the two tag teams from the main event go next:

The tag division is in an interesting place right now, as there are something like 16 active teams right now (and that’s discounting recurring Dark teams like Luther/Serpentico).  But is heavily slanted towards heel teams (even more so if the Bucks turn heel, which I don’t think they will), especially in terms of teams that are actually contenders.

So, there are a lot of options for Best Friends.  Given OC is challenging Brodie next week, I feel like a Dark Order feud could be on the horizon.  That would be a good next thing for them, as it’s pretty high profile because DO is hot right now but keeps them away from eating another tag title loss anytime soon.  (Yes, they kinda feuded with DO in its original incarnation last year, but obviously it’s a very different thing now.)  Other than that, maybe they finally go back to the Lucha Bros feud?

Santana and Ortiz, though...There’s not a lot for them.  They haven’t wrestled a straight tag against Jurassic Express since last Fall (but have met in multi-man tags a bunch), so maybe that could be a thing.  But I feel like Jericho’s current tag run could be leading him back around to Jungle Boy, so JE could be spoken for soon.  The good thing about Santana and Ortiz’s position in the Inner Circle is they pretty much always have a spot on the show, regardless of if they’re doing anything themselves, but they may be going into another cooling off phase.

I think AEW gets a lot right, but I think their divisions are becoming very cluttered with a bunch of dudes treading water. The goal feels like it should always be a title. I understand 6-man titles aren't much of a draw, but WWE and AEW could both make it work better than other promotions could and neither seems like they want a 6-man title.

Now they have the World, TNT, FTW, Tag, Women's, and NWA Women's titles in the promotion. It should just be World, TNT, Tag, 6-man, and Women's. The FTW title is pointless and I get why the NWA women's title is there, but it just adds to the clutter. At least you can build a division around 6-man belts and get something for Jungle Express, Lucha Bros/Death Triangle, Santana/Ortiz/Other IC Dude, and Best Friends to fight for.

As it is, no one is going to be sniffing a championship in the tag division for probably the next year. I imagine FTR and the Young Bucks are going to have that thing on lockdown for the next year.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As it is, no one is going to be sniffing a championship in the tag division for probably the next year. I imagine FTR and the Young Bucks are going to have that thing on lockdown for the next year.

I don't know about a full year, unless you meant until the end of this year. They could do Bucks/FTR at Full Gear in November and regardless of who wins there's nothing to say the titles couldn't move on any given Dynamite or PPV after that.

Yeah, I think it's fair game for a third party to win the titles after the first meeting. I don't think they want to exhaust FTR and the Bucks without packed arenas. Give us a first go at Full Gear. Unless there's a huge Moxley match set up for it (Omega? But we may be getting pt 1 of Omega vs Page), I could see Bucks/FTR as the main event of the ppv. Maybe I'm crazy tho. It's been so anticipated I can see them thinking it's a draw. 

Holy shit I don't know how I missed this but if we're still arguing about whether Ivalisse was unprofessional in that match, this clip is pretty damning.  She looks more bored than my five year old after six hours of distance learning.

Stay away form the comments ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Does it have to be a singles match? Bc the ladder match in LU with her, Son of Havoc and Angelico against the Crew is one of the most well-told stories of the last decade, and a damn well worked match, as well...

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit I don't know how I missed this but if we're still arguing about whether Ivalisse was unprofessional in that match, this clip is pretty damning.  She looks more bored than my five year old after six hours of distance learning.

Stay away form the comments ?

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/report-shoot-strikes-thrown-during-thunder-rosa-ivelisse-aew-match-320451

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave's taken that down now 

Not since Danno O'Mahony and Dick Shikat in 1936 has a double cross in wrestling been this brutal. It's been almost eighty-five years so we were due.

Disappointing stuff from Ivelisse in that clip. Between that, the supposed live rounds, and the miscommunication early in the match that they sort of covered with camera angles, it's clear there were issues with that match. Whatever went down, I hope everyone can get over themselves for this week's episode.

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

Disappointing stuff from Ivelisse in that clip. Between that, the supposed live rounds, and the miscommunication early in the match that they sort of covered with camera angles, it's clear there were issues with that match. Whatever went down, I hope everyone can get over themselves for this week's episode.

The thing is...if someone decided to pull a Yoshiko and just beat the holy bejesus out of someone for real, that's the end of them in North America. It's 2020. You won't survive that. You might end up in another promotion overseas, but you ain't working a major promotion over here anytime soon. Moreover, in this landscape, no one can really afford to burn bridges. It's essentially WWE, ROH, AEW, and maybe Impact or bust. You fuck up here, and your career is doomed unless you love working indie shots.

You basically have no choice but to cooperate with each other in the ring.