DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ivelisse had her booboo face on, wouldn’t sell anything, and was generally uncooperative.  This, after throwing some pretty stiff shots of her own at the start of the match.  Rosa got frustrated and threw some potatoes to try to make her sell.

They were cooperating with each other after that awkward start. I think Ivelisse was trying to sell, but her selling just consists of staring blankly.

I think this much ado about nothing especially in the next match when motherfuckers are killing each other for real. For real, I just saw that match and it's insane.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Personally I think Ivelisse and Thunder Rosa just wanted to work real stiff and people are getting worked.

I'm far more amused at a bunch of dudes complaining about a woman wrestler having long hair.

Even if something did happen, Rosa gave her some good receipts and the match went on from there with little to no incident. Hell, look at the finish. If Rosa was pissed, she could have dropped Ivelisse on her head and taught her a lesson. However, she was clearly protecting her and made sure she had control of her so she didn't land headfirst. Apparently, she wasn't that mad.

• Like 1

I feel like Rosa is enough of a professional that, even if she was legit mad, she wouldn’t think to shoot piledrive her.  Potaoing somebody who isn’t working with you is pretty standard operating procedure; Austining them is not.

• Thanks 2

It's two for two though with Thunder Rosa in AEW having to fight with her opponent. Even that tombstone finish was a struggle. Not a big deal but Ivelisse is not good and the sooner they move on from her the better. I haven't seen enough of Diamante to have an opinion. But it's pretty clear that, even with miscommunication or whatever you want to call it, Thunder Rosa can still put on a pretty good (last night) to very good (PPV vs. Shida) match. I don't think even Shida can do that. Rosa can carry a division. If the NWA goes under or if TR's contract expires before that, give that woman all the money. Not a panacea but it would help an awful lot and she could at least be relied on to carry pretty much anybody on the roster to something watchable.

• Like 1

I'm starting to feel like I'm watching different matches than everyone else, since I actually like Ivelisse and don't care that much for Thunder Rosa. Starting to get Riho vibes here with Thunder Rosa, where everyone loved her but I just couldn't get into her matches.

Maybe. I would very much appreciate if we got more Riho. Riho, Shida, Rose, Statlander, and hopefully one day a full time Thunder Rosa could make for a really great foundation of a women's division. Riho's far from perfect but she's got amazing closing sequences that always won over the fans even if they didn't dig the opening half so much. Her tiny frame is a double edged sword because there's not a whole lot she does that looks like it would hurt but it also makes her an instant underdog that is hard not to want to cheer. The knees are fine enough to be believable and she's got those Emi Sakura quick pinning combinations and counters that give her an element of being able to pull off a shock win at any moment even against Nyla. Tremendous theme song too.

Ivelisse's footwork is greener than turtle shit. Even the post match kerfuffle she was flailing all over the place like a Mid-Atlantic jabroni from 1983. I enjoyed her fiery character work in Lucha Underground but I'm good on ever seeing her again.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I'm complaining about her fucking with it throughout the entire match. Don't put words in my mouth. 

My god, who gives a shit? If something like that takes you out of a match then I don't even know what to tell you.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like Rosa is enough of a professional that, even if she was legit mad, she wouldn’t think to shoot piledrive her.  Potaoing somebody who isn’t working with you is pretty standard operating procedure; Austining them is not.

However, it's old flawed wrestling logic either way: Hey, I could give you a legit concussion or I can try to break your neck. 

Anyway, I like both women, but Ivelisse probably needs to a better professional in the ring and work on her selling and facials. She's missing some ingredients to get over. Doesn't help she's tagging with her doppelganger. 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm complaining about her fucking with it throughout the entire match. 

I hope you never watched a Benson Henderson fight in WEC and UFC. He did that AND had a toothpick in his mouth somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

EiFUIVBXkAAYSJV?format=jpg&name=large

Santana and Ortiz painting up like "Cuban Bee" from HALF BAKED made me laugh my ass off. Then I realized that that was actually referencing something from DEAD PRESIDENTS. Anyway, made me happy.

I do wonder what the trajectories for both teams are after that incredible match. Do Best Friends get a title shot at the new champs? I don't know... I don't think anybody would buy them winning the title after failing so recently and any tag title match seems like wrestling's equivalent of dead rubber until we get to Bucks/FTR 1. Santana & Ortiz, do they drop some of the comedy stuff and lean into what we saw last night in terms of demeanor? They sure seemed like a more believable championship calibre team even if I love the goofy selling and tiger style. But they're heels and FTR are heels. I don't think that rules them out from at least a title challenge but we'll see. Either way, I think the belief in both teams went up twofold after last night. So great. 

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Santana and Ortiz painting up like "Cuban Bee" from HALF BAKED made me laugh my ass off. Then I realized that that was actually referencing something from DEAD PRESIDENTS. Anyway, made me happy.

I was also thinking they're fans of the original Millennium series w/ Noomi Rapace.

image.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I don’t know why some people can’t just let the long hair thing go. We all have different things we like and dislike. So to keep bringing it up, and bitch about the people that have issue with it is dumb. It’s not an argument you’ll win so just leave it be. 

Sir, this is the internet wrestling community. That's not how things work!

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

So, what you usually do. Got it.

Does the person who’s constantly sniping about what little value they find in other people’s thoughts or conversations really want to play this game? How often do you come into these threads and slag people off about fantasy booking the women or nit-picking acts that aren’t working for them or any other thing while rarely addressing anyone directly? How much shit do people need to take about what you deem to be acceptable or worthwhile to remark on? 

I’ve seen complaints about I’ll-fitting gear getting adjusted constantly mid-match. This is no different and people are fine to find it distracting. But go ahead and police these threads some more. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2