DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Excellent show! 

FTR are as good as their hype suggests.  At some point, not too far off, Jungle Jack's gonna be bursting for the spotilight.  Dug the Bucks attack to open.  The whole start gave the show a nice air of unpredictability. 

Kazarian-Page was a bit of a surprise.  I wasn't expecting such beautiful violence.  I completely agree with @Technico Support on Page's fancy tassled trousers - Magic Mike vibes.  I love Kenny, and he had a couple noteable moments at the desk, but he also stepped all over the place.    

MJF segments, unfortunately, continue to underwhelm.  They gotta get him out of 2D mode.  Similarily, I hope Kingston expands passed this current repetition.  

Jericho/Hager-Privates was fine.  I'm feeling a bit lukewarm on this new duo.  I hope over time, and quickly, they gel passed random singles guys forming a team.  

Rosa-Ivelisse was good if a touch underwhelming.  Rosa continues to impress, but as @Curt McGirtand @Technico Supportnoted the Ivel one needs to stop 'nashing' her hair.  And maybe go with a more natural red (or natural color).    

Dug the Archer/Team Taz-Team Mox segment.  Archer sounded really good this week - the best mic work of his still early AEW run.  I really like this set-up with Cage and Archer agreeing to fight down the road ('Godzilla on this place').  I also dig that Will Hobbs is getting a shot - definitely feeling that Ice Train vibe ( @Jiji ), but is that a good thing?  I've been digging Hobbs for awhile, but I'm not so sure he's ready for the spotlight.  The Dark squashes as of late have me thinking he needs reps and to find his character.  Regardless, kudos to AEW for giving a newcomer a chance to shine.  

LAX-Besties rolling out a light MOTYC was a bit of a surprise.  All four of these guys have been a bit goofy throughout this feud.  I thought it was a mistake placing it in the Main.  Boy was I wrong!  That had intense Memphis concession stand vibes there.  And well placed vicious (and creative) spots.  I was thinking less Dead Presidents more Warriors with Ortiz/Santana.  The facepaint very much worked.  Also, Chuck Taylor really oughtta consider his 'street fight' wear for his regular in ring look.  He looked and performed great here.  Also, terrific OC spot to close it out.  I too wonder if the lack of Inner Circle help causes a rift between the newly minted Hager/Jericho team and Santana/Ortiz.  A babyface re-start might be a good idea for the (kinda) fledgling Latinos.  *But please no fucking Konnan.  Both are more capable on the mic than K-Dog.  

AEW has had a nice bounce back since the divisive All Out.   

• Like 1

This comment will read weird, but I don't like Hangman wearing pants.

Ok, there, I said it. He looks better wearing normal tights. The pants makes his legs look too skinny. It's like Okada wearing pants. It just doesn't feel right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's a day later and man, I really hate Kenny. This is some superb, subtly heel work from him. The Cleaner was a heel character that I liked. This is a heel character I hate that I'm supposed to hate.

If you think about it, the attitude of the Bucks is starting to match the attitude of the Hangman. Fuck the Bucks going full heel and sticking with Kenny. Give me the Bucks re-aligning with Hangman after Kenny fucks over Hangman and the Bucks. That's the 6-man tag I want. Bucks/Hangman vs FTR/Omega.

That is my best guess to where they are going, and also think that could be the foundation for the Blood and Guts match. The Bucks snapping Hangman back into the ass kicker that gave zero fucks we saw last winter would be a great way of things going full circle.

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I shouldn’t be surprised by how good the Page match was.  I think we just haven’t seen a Page singles match in a long while. We just forgot how hard hitting he works with guys. These two also had great chemistry in those two tag title matches from months back.

Page had a singles match only a few weeks ago against Alan Angels. It was also very good.

* Anxious Millenial Cowboy "Hangman" Adam Page had a very good professional wrestling match with Frankie Kazarian. Kazarian's been quietly having bangers on Dark for the past few weeks, and let's face it he was ALWAYS good, and Hangman is just THE BEST. Seriously, when they were looking to push Page this time last year, after being in the Bullet Club and Ring of boring Honor, I was all, like, ugh, but I am a stupid man because he is great. Omega added some storyline beats on comms, too. Good job.

* MJF is such a shitty person that even the heels at ringside were booing him.

*: Only slightly but there's a weird feel to the Eddie Kingston stable family and it's not quite gelling. Like, why would the Lucha brothers hang out with the Butcher & the Blade? I DO like that the Mad King is AEW's continuity cop, hammering home that he wasn't eliminated from the battle royal, AND he's the only one who remembers that Allie should be with the Blade!

* I get that Jericho is a BIG deal and I enjoy watching him (not as much as I enjoy listening to him on comms, but there you go), but this tag-team run seems way too forced, and Private Party got nothing out of this match at all, especially when Hager and Cassidy disappeared forever. I do like the Judas Effect, though.

* Ivelisse, man.

* I was, erm, all-in on jake Roberts when he first came in but he's a liability now, stumbling over his words and making every angle awkward. Archer can talk just fine. I'd have also preferred that Darby Allin was left as a - massively obvious, admittedly - surprise for next week. I like the push they're giving Will Hobbs, too.

* The Parking Lot Fight - that's its official name, right? - was ace, with the right amount of big spots at the right times to do them, and the major league debut of SOMEONE BEING PUT THROUGH A DOOR. And I LOVED Best Friends driving off with Sue at the end, just as it should be. What I want now, though, is for Santana and Ortiz's mum - or just Dasha, I suppose - to come looking for revenge...

* This was such an easy watch, after a few tricky weeks and an under-par PPV. It flowed nicely, with some big angles sprinkled throughout, and there's a lot of storylines going on to keep you engaged. If they could cut Dark in half - although don't rob me of KiLynn King or Red Velvet or The Initiative - and keep their PPVs under 3 hours, they'd be golden.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I felt bad for the van seat with blood-soaked Trent just plopping into the back.

Yeah, I immediately said "he's gonna ruin the upholstery..."

All that Konnan stuff was sarcasm btw. But he can still kill it on the mic, if you've seen him in that last Impact run. Less so in MLW unfortunately. If he showed up here I can imagine him and Jake throwing sexual taunts back and forth ?

When Blood & Guts happens, both The Elite and the Inner Circle will be broken up. There's every chance that it ends up being, like, Cody & Dustin & Hangman & Sammy & Fenix vs Omega & Kingston & Penta & Butcher & Blade.

As great as the brawl was, my favorite part was Tony Schiavone marking out on commentary like he was Rob Naylor. Glad he's "found his smile" 20 years after late-era WCW sucked the life out of him.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I have a hard time seeing Cody not being in the first Wargames match AEW holds. Can you imagine QT Marshall in a fucking Wargames match? 

The only reason for QT to be in a Wargames match would be to lose the fall.

• Like 1

I know portraying women in a shitty light for ulterior purposes has long been a wrestling staple, but Ivelisse seems to stir shit up wherever she goes and she trains with a known pedophile. Why did they have her win the tag team cup again? She's not even good. Her basics aren't there for somebody who's been wrestling for sixteen years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I know portraying women in a shitty light for ulterior purposes has long been a wrestling staple, but Ivelisse seems to stir shit up wherever she goes and she trains with a known pedophile. Why did they have her win the tag team cup again? She's not even good. Her basics aren't there for somebody who's been wrestling for sixteen years.

The only reason I can think of for the tag cup win is they knew how much (well deserved) crap they’d get if Brandi won it. 

Even though the smart choice for winners would have been Anna Jay and Tay Conti. It would have fit with the Dark Order/Rhodes Family storyline too.

Edited by MavsFan77

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And maybe more importantly AEW beat Laura Ingraham AND Hannity this week.

So they finally won the 50+ demo?

The show was really good as usual. AEW has such a fresh feel to it. They'll try things that probably won't work. At least it's not micromanaged down to the second. Also had that parking lot fight been on raw, most of us would have gotten seizures from the rapid cuts they would have done. That was easily the best hardcore match I've seen in years. I hope this match is kept around as an option for blood feuds. FTR would be amazing in one of these matches.

I like Kenny Omega as a douchey heel. But douchey heel who can talk shit he is not. He's all right when he does one of those solo interviews behind the scenes. But in front of the live crowd and as we saw on commentary...meh. I would much rather see Omega join FTR than MJF. Everyone wants to see The Cleaner, but I think there's a new level to Kenny's heel work that he could bring if he were part of this pseudo Horsemen. Basically it's all business and that chauffeured Escalade doesn't pay for itself.

Speaking of FTR, their match with Jungle Boy and Luchasuras was good. I am convinced Jack Perry is going to be a huge star for the company and he should be the foil to MJF. I think the biggest angle that could happen is someone cuts Jungle Boy's hair and only MJF is enough of an asshole to make that work. But I loved the match and I love a good old fashion hand on the ropes/outside leverage the ref can't see victory.

Thunder Rosa vs. Ivelisse was all right. I've always liked Ivelisse since Lucha Underground. Only problem is she needs to be able to be that underdog babyface where she would fight whoever (man or woman) in whatever kinda match. Well, she can't do that in AEW. I hope the NWA involvment is leading to some sort of unification match with Rosa and Shida.

Will Hobbs has vibes of a very young Monty Brown (minus the insanity).

Overall too much to go over. I just know I usually like the show start to finish. I can't say that about even good WWE shows. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Word going around is some live rounds may have been exchanged between Thunder Rosa and Ivelisse. 

Came here to ask about this. Can't seem to find much, just folks talking about it, what folks are saying is a poorly aged tweet from Ivelisse mentioning folks needing to sell and a clip of Thunder Rosa throwing a somewhat held back shoot punch to the mid section.

Anyone know exactly what happened?

Edited by Edwin

Ivelisse had her booboo face on, wouldn’t sell anything, and was generally uncooperative.  This, after throwing some pretty stiff shots of her own at the start of the match.  Rosa got frustrated and threw some potatoes to try to make her sell.