DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I fucking loved that street fight. That might be my second favorite AEW match ever, right behind Bucks vs Hangman/Omega. Words don't describe how fucking cool it is to see Chuck and Trent do this on national TV each week.

Sue is also the fucking coolest. Holy shit. I need to watch that match again. Like, give that match all the fucking stars. 7 stars, 8 stars, whatever.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm gonna say it again, Kenny: SHUT THE FUCK UP. It was like he wanted to take Ex's place and call all the spots. Fucking diarrhea of the mouth on this guy, I had to mute the TV. That shitty eyeroll look he gave when they first mentioned Hangman was pretty great though.

I mean, that's kinda the point. He's acting like a know it all and that he's smarter and better than everyone else while still acting like he's "humble" or "nice." Nah, he's just a dick. I hope Hangman punks him the fuck out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, that's kinda the point. He's acting like a know it all and that he's smarter and better than everyone else while still acting like he's "humble" or "nice." Nah, he's just a dick. I hope Hangman punks him the fuck out.

I'm pulling for the Cleaner and the heelish Bucks. I find their act more fun when they're just straight up dicks.

• Like 4

Really great episode tonight! FTR/Jurassic was a solid opener. I feel like the Bucks/FTR works better with the Bucks as the pure babyfaces they were but their current heelish attitude has been intriguing. Thunder/Ivelisse was awesome as would be expected, great stuff from both and I look forward to more. Absolutely loved Hangman/Kazarian. I've always been a big Kazarian fan since his 03-04 days so while it was one of those outcome never in doubt matches, it was still real cool to see him in a longer showcase match like this. Great stuff from both guys. I like Jericho/Hager in the tag division as a logical something different/next move for Jericho. A couple awkward spots but a fun match, the Judas Effect finish looked properly killer and Marq's post-match pele kick nailed perfect too. Really loved the set up for next week's big 6 man tag. Already did a nice job making Will Hobbs come off like a star early. Main event was an incredible war, unexpectedly great. Going in to it I thought about some of Ortiz & Santana's matches with Homicide & Hernandez in Impact and this lived up. Loved the facepaint and as mentioned Santana's Muta-esque look. So many brutal spots throughout. I had been feeling someone interfering from in one of the cars but thought it'd be helping Ortiz & Santana win so the actual OC reveal was pretty cool, and the steel chain Orange Punch looked like a proper knockout. I initially wanted Ortiz & Santana to win but in the end I love the feel-good moment and feud ending victory for the babyfaces. That closing shot was classic and definitely memorable. Awesome show. Looking forward to twice the action next week with Late Night Dynamite included.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

I would be totally cool with Ortiz and Santana breaking away from the Inner Circle and Dialysis Konnan coming in to talk for them... again. Because we clearly don't have enough veteran managers in this fed. 

Hey, if we did have him, would we have Veteran Bingo? Jake, Arn, Tully, Taz, Konnan. We actually might already have it if you add Kingston.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Goodness is Jungle Boy putting it all together in the ring. Dude can do original, neat flippies, chain, use his athleticism to lay it in hard. He's got a great arsenal. Now he needs to start finding himself in terms of aura and persona. If he can do that, he'll be a superstar. He's got a quiet awe shucks demeanor that could work and certainly did for a lot of babyface in the '80s, but it doesn't quite translate into the ring yet. I'm still not sure who Jungle Boy is other than the son of Luke, athletic, and has great hair. Stuff like fighting fire with fire on the tights pulling tonight is great and reveals a little something about him. And the sooner JR gets his way with his ring name becoming Jungle Jack Perry the better. Anyway, very good match that was entirely about putting shine on JB. 

Omega furthering his heel turn on commentary was great. Laughing at Hangman, motormouth, calling out their conditioning. Calling em tag team wrestlers. The eye roll. Match probably went 2 or 3 minutes long but I think it more than served its purpose of re-establishing Page as a singles threat and played up the tension with Omega. 

Will Hobbs out there in the blue muscle shirt giving me Ice Train vibes. That is a good thing and I would love to see some Steiner vs Fire & Ice type hossing next week. 

Great job with mic'ing the crowd. Sounded great. But was this a taped episode or a live boy? Was it crowd sweetening too? 

Y'all covered the parking lot fight. Brilliant violence with the perfect ending. Great match. 

After the angle/promo heavy show last week, this was real wrestling heavy and in a very good way. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Goodness is Jungle Boy putting it all together in the ring. Dude can do original, neat flippies, chain, use his athleticism to lay it in hard. He's got a great arsenal. Now he needs to start finding himself in terms of aura and persona. If he can do that, he'll be a superstar. He's got a quiet awe shucks demeanor that could work and certainly did for a lot of babyface in the '80s, but it doesn't quite translate into the ring yet. I'm still not sure who Jungle Boy is other than the son of Luke, athletic, and has great hair. Stuff like fighting fire with fire on the tights pulling tonight is great and reveals a little something about him. And the sooner JR gets his way with his ring name becoming Jungle Jack Perry the better. Anyway, very good match that was entirely about putting shine on JB. 

And I like how JR plays cheerleader for him in every one of his matches. First time JB gets that elusive big win it's gonna be a hell of a moment. 

Another really good show!

FTR vs Jurassic Express was really good.  What's this?  The new champs aren't beaten in a non-title match right out of the gate?  What the hell is going on?  Excellent near falls and they're really bringing Jungle Boy along slowly and nicely.

Page and Kazarian had an EXCELLENT match.  I loved the shade thrown by Kenny, talking about these guys being tag team wrestlers trying to get something going.  I don't love Page's long tights.  They're really gimmicky looking, making him look like The Roadie or maybe an exotic dancer working a cowboy angle.  I'm liking the storyline of Page realizing how bad he fucked up and really wanting to get back together with his friends, while Kenny is low key pissed and over it.  Between this and the booking of Best Friends/OC, there's a long post in here about the booking of friendships in this left-leaning "woke" promotion vs righty Vince's WWE where nobody is your friend, the people who say they are are really just out to fuck you, and needing help makes you less of a rugged individualist real Amrican or some shit, but I don't have it in me just yet.

I was wondering if the brunette with the full sleeve at ringside was Shaul Guerrero, then MJF whipped out the Eddie dance on her and that sealed it.  Good promo by MJF but please Lord Jesus no more factions.

Speaking of fashion, let's please stop dressing Butcher and Blade like ice cream men or psych facility orderlies.  What drama are they going to come up with for Blade trying to get his ol' lady back from QT?

Holy shit the subtle booking here makes me love this company.  Jericho and Hager are no doubt dominant singles competitors, but they are trying to get their sea legs as a team, so they have difficulty beating the unranked (yes I checked the rankings fuck youuuuu) BUT established team of Private Party.  Goddamn tremendous.

I'm happy Thunder Rosa is sticking around!  This match was a little clunky in parts but still great.  I'm with @Curt McGirt who said Ivalisse needs to stop Nash'ing with her hair.  Put that shit up if it's a constant issue.  Also, this isn't WWE...please give Shida her first name back.

JR on his best behavior two weeks in a row!  Rejoice!

I thought Santana and Ortiz were wearing Pazuzu makeup for a sec.

Aside from being goofy on the mic, I feel like Jake is a bad choice for Archer's manager because he might be taller than him.  Good angle, though, and Moxley continues to be fire, as the kids say, on the mic.

From the booking to the match execution, that parking lot brawl was perfection.  Just god damn excellent.  

I felt bad for the van seat with blood-soaked Trent just plopping into the back.

• Like 4

It's a day later and man, I really hate Kenny. This is some superb, subtly heel work from him. The Cleaner was a heel character that I liked. This is a heel character I hate that I'm supposed to hate.

If you think about it, the attitude of the Bucks is starting to match the attitude of the Hangman. Fuck the Bucks going full heel and sticking with Kenny. Give me the Bucks re-aligning with Hangman after Kenny fucks over Hangman and the Bucks. That's the 6-man tag I want. Bucks/Hangman vs FTR/Omega.

• Like 1

That was terrific TV. The main absolutely ruled. Not much to be said that hasn't already been said, but I just want Coach Tony to know I dug it. 

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of fashion, let's please stop dressing Butcher and Blade like ice cream men or psych facility orderlies. 

It's Natural Born Killers, right? Gotta be. 

natural-born-killers-790x532.jpg

• Like 5

It's so awesome seeing Chuck, Trent, and Cassidy main eventing a wrestling TV show in 2020.  I remember hearing Chuck mention on commentary in PWG a long time ago that he was close to retiring because he wasn't getting anywhere.  I remember listening to the Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling podcast and Sarah mentioned hanging with the three of them watching whatever 'Mania it was where that ref's child won the tag belts and all three just being dejected, like "we can't get anywhere in wrestling while a kid is being booked at Wrestlemania."  Just so cool to see how things have turned around for them, and really everyone who, for one reason or another, didn't really get a shot. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

I'd say that was a top 5 AEW match for me. Can't say it beats the emotion of thee tag match or Cody/Dustin. It's up there with Stadium Stampede and the Pac/Omega iron man. Probably beats out Hangman and Omega vs. Lucha Bros. 

And yes, I have to keep telling myself Chuck Taylor not only was in the main event of a wrestling show on TNT but said main event was an amazing wild brawl. He is low key amazing at gimmick matches. That Trent guerrilla warfare match ruled. The Zack Sabre classic felt like a gimmick match with the rope being removed. He had a very good hardcore match with Janela in Evolve that ended with him constantly calling himself a deathmatch guy. Trent was awesome. Santana and Ortiz were just as good. Everybody brought it. And that it took OC, another babyface interference spot, to swing things was my only complaint but it does give Santana and Ortiz something. 

• Like 3