DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

TSN was back on their bullshit this week of having someone on production that missed every single picture in picture and just did regular ad breaks. I wish they'd sort this shit out week to week. It's gotta be two different people because it's so inconsistent.

FTR vs Jurassic Express was okay but had a lot of timing issues. That's sort of a given with Luchasaurus but FTR seemed slightly off too. I kind of wouldn't mind seeing a Dax vs Jungle Boy singles match though.

Hangman vs Kazarian was fucking wild for a random TV match. Extremely Indie Main Event stuff. If you like that style you loved this.

MJF's segment felt like something Jerry Lawler would have done. Just kill a jobber in 5 seconds then piss people off for 5 minutes on the mic. I thought it was good, and right after that we get Eddie Kingston who is just fucking amazing, man. Sarcastic commentary on beating up jobbers, once again demanding his due for not being eliminated in the battle royal, and telling Blade to basically go get his wife back from QT Marshall. I'm not sure why they had the announcers sell confusion on that last point. I want to say it was even acknowledged last week. Maybe that was on a Dark.

They seem to be running Private Party through wrestling every experienced guy in the company. This isn't honestly the worst idea. Missing the timing on that one silly string move hurt, though. Hagar just had to stand there holding a dude up for what seemed like forever. I thought the sell job on the Judas Effect was great, the rest of this was pretty much wrestling that occurred on television for me.

Ivelesse/Thunder Rosa was good. Had a match length that felt appropriate for an old TV title match, really, which I guess in the short term is what the NWA Women's title is here? Honestly had more of a feeling of two people that wanted to beat each other up than anything on the show to this point.  I am assuming at this point Thunder Rosa is staying, at least for a while. I get that some of the stuff in that women's torunament was weak, but it seems to have at least given this division some positive direction.

Wow I was not expecting Will Hobbs to be the guy coming to the rescue of Jon Moxley from An Army Of Heels. I will give AEW this, they are not afraid to try new people. That's cool. Like, this genuinely surprised me, and I enjoyed that. When was the last time a major champion was on the mic putting a guy over who was a jobber less than a month ago? Wild.

The main event parking lot fight was, like, a CZW match, but without having to watch fucking CZW. This was bonkers. I would not have guessed Best Friends would be in one of the most violent feuds in AEW. Santana and Ortiz have absolutely brought it in this feud. Sue gave them the finger. THE FINGER. This ruled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This show was so fucking good with an excellent mix of styles (including pulling “hard hitting stiff as shit four star match with Hangman and Kaz” out of thin air) and commentary was on point all night, including JR who I thought did very well in the Watts logical analyst role.

They killed it tonight IMO. That six man! Will Hobbs! 

• Like 4

The matches:

Opening tag was good, Luchasaurus stayed out of the way mostly I thought. 

Hangman/Kazarian was good too but then it went way too long with way too many reversals and kickouts. As expected. Kenny: SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Still don't like Private Party. 

My big takeaway from the NWA match was Ivelisse needs to stop playing with her hair. Cut it if it's a problem FFS. 

Main I thought was just gonna be goofy and got nasty, I was laughing about how this was not Zona 23, and then they all start hurting each other for real. 

The rest: 

I loved all of it! Way better than last week. 

• Like 3

The Kingston family has a lot of potential but they need some direction. I could listen to Eddie talk all day though.

Will Hobbs has a presence about him that didn't look out of place when he was with Mox. I hope he does well.

Street fight 10/10. Well done to both teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Ivelesse/Thunder Rosa was good. Had a match length that felt appropriate for an old TV title match, really, which I guess in the short term is what the NWA Women's title is here? Honestly had more of a feeling of two people that wanted to beat each other up than anything on the show to this point. 

Mexico vs Puerto Rico, innit?

So this was a killer show top to bottom. That's two TVs in a row that were better than the last PPV.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

whoa that parking lot brawl was awesome... was not expecting it to be so great.  Tony Schiavone referencing one of my favorite movies Dead Presidents, that's why he's the man! 

I know they were doing Dead Presidents...but Santana looked like old Great Muta too. Fucking dope.

• Like 7

Next week's card is fucking STACKED. Brodie/Orange, that six man, Shida & Rosa vs Ivelisse & Diamante. Even the one hour Dynamite next Tuesday looks pretty good - hate to say it, but if this was WWE, they'd be using that NBA lead-in to promote something between their top stars, but AEW is putting on matches with people like Anna Jay and Ben Carter. That's cool as fuck.

What's also cool as fuck is that their world champion is using two guys like Darby and Will Hobbs as his back-up. One isn't quite a main eventer yet, and as previously mentioned, Hobbs was a jobber a month ago. That's a hell of a rub. Not gonna lie, I really want to see Brian Cage vs Lance Archer in a Falls Count Anywhere match like they teased.

That main event was awesome, though. The only spots that scared me a little were the sledgehammer through the windshield where Chuck was within a hair of not ducking in time, and Trent being powerbombed into the windshield and his head bouncing off the glass. Another gross spot that I don't know if a lot of people picked up on - the same care with the sledgehammer, when Chuck was backdropped onto the top of the car, the back window shattered and the metal frame broke, which could have been really bad for Chuck. But ignoring all of that - man, that was great. AEW does wild brawling matches with plunder pretty well.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

So are we going to get a "will he or won't he" from Darby where Moxley and Hobbs are handicapped for half the match till he shows up?

I really like Darby, but him being the hot tag against a team with Archer and Cage wouldn't be the best way to book that match.

• Like 3

Two things I wondered about as well:

MJF joining somebody. Please no. Have him be too obnoxious for even the Inner Circle (Jericho already thinks he's a loser anyway). Wardlow goes Batista as well and leaves him all alone.

No Inner Circle helping Santana and Ortiz. Maybe they end up pissed about that...

• Like 1

Man I love how AEW books these lower card feud enders as TV mains. I expect Allin/Starks might get a similar opportunity in a few weeks.

They also seem to be listening about focusing on the native talent. This show had no Daniels, Spears, Cardona and 10 seconds of Hardy, yet set up Allin, Starks and Will fucking Hobbs for a main event match.

• Like 3

If MJF joins the Inner Circle, it'll be only to usurp power from Jericho and eventually remove him from the group. Which would be a great way to get face Jericho because we're rounding the corner on two years now. Not that I really WANT a face Jericho, but they're kind of light on the babyface side of things when it comes to top guys.

Speaking of face/heel alignment:

4 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Good stuff from Thunder Rosa and Ivelisse and nice set up for Ivelisse and Diamante vs Shida and Rosa. Love that Shida is always willing to help a fellow face out. It’s so rare nowadays. 

If you go by the "left tunnel = heel, right tunnel = face" thing, Thunder Rosa is a heel. And the lead-up to her match with Shida at All Out, she wasn't exactly a face either. MAYBE a cocky as fuck face.

• Like 2

I'd prefer MJF staying with just Wardlow, but if he's going to be part of a faction, I wouldn't mind if Richard Holliday and Alexander Hammerstone were brought in on loan from MLW. Otherwise, I don't see MJF fitting into a faction. I'd rather not see him with Tully, FTR, and Shawn Spears. Then, we'd never hear the end of it from @Flair's Shadow.

I like Eddie Kingston repeatedly bringing up how he wasn't eliminated from the battle royal. I'm thinking King attacks Moxley after the Lance Archer match. I'm also down for The Blade taking Eddie's advice, beat the shit out of QT, and take his wife back.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2