DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXIX - 9/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I've had a theory about this for a while, but I believe they intentionally ground people who could reach megastar status because they don't want another Rock or John Cena. They've mentioned it a few times on tv, "no one is bigger than the WWE". I truly believe that'd some edict Vince came up with the moment The Rock had his first huge movie and realized he didn't need this anymore.

Part of the problem is Vince wants that new Hulk Hogan or in this case John Cena. Someone who is a white meat babyface to the core and would never abandon him. Plus, I don't think Vince will ever understand the concept that people want to root for the bad guy. But Hogan eventually left. Cena could in theory go somewhere else too if he wanted (though rumor has it he's getting cast in the GI Joe Reboot, plus he has The Suicide Squad coming up). Who knows what Roman could have done a few years ago if they even let him have a little depth to his character. But I'm convinced that the WWE will cut the wings out from anyone who even comes close to scratching that potential.

Ryback has claimed HHH told him pretty much exactly this at one point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I've had a theory about this for a while, but I believe they intentionally ground people who could reach megastar status because they don't want another Rock or John Cena. They've mentioned it a few times on tv, "no one is bigger than the WWE". I truly believe that'd some edict Vince came up with the moment The Rock had his first huge movie and realized he didn't need this anymore.

Part of the problem is Vince wants that new Hulk Hogan or in this case John Cena. Someone who is a white meat babyface to the core and would never abandon him. Plus, I don't think Vince will ever understand the concept that people want to root for the bad guy. But Hogan eventually left. Cena could in theory go somewhere else too if he wanted (though rumor has it he's getting cast in the GI Joe Reboot, plus he has The Suicide Squad coming up). Who knows what Roman could have done a few years ago if they even let him have a little depth to his character. But I'm convinced that the WWE will cut the wings out from anyone who even comes close to scratching that potential.

Well look at Cena who is now being dragged away from WWE by Hollywood. I doubt Vince is happy about hat. 

I do think there is something to this. Like WWE laments the star power and not being able to create someone on comparable levels to the past Hogans, Cenas, Rocks, etc. but they also don't want someone on that same level again either because then they would be bigger than WWE and can write their own checks. They want someone who will stay permanently entrenched with WWE.

But what happened with Reigns eerily feels like a bigger version of Kevin Nash. They made Nash their guy and tried to make him a vanilla white meat Hogan like babyface and it didn't work. That's not Kevin Nash. Ratings and business tanked while Nash was champion. He was not the new Hogan. 

But I just don't get why the fans are rejecting Reigns as this mega uber babyface. It's not working. Your ratings are in the toilet and have dropped dramatically since hitching to the Roman Reigns wagon. Clearly something didn't work. Fans never bought into Reigns as this role. And all I ever heard is "kids buy too much Reigns merchandise." It's really the stupidest thing ever. Merchandising is good and all but it's only one form of revenue. Is merchandise that crucial when it's detrimental to the rest of your product and killing your business?

Getting caught up to see all the Roman hype and damn, y’all were on point, that match and the angle closing SD were amazing. Wrestling God-tier work. This Roman against the fiery upstart Braun from a few years back would have been wild stuff. If Rock is a go for next Mania, I hope they do a replay of this match with Dwayne in Jey’s place and make him heel of the century to feud with superface Keith Lee. I’d be into it!

• Like 1