DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXIX - 9/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

1) Are we going with another ref botch spot? 

Ref threw up an X for Garza who instantly rolled out of the ring and they went to the finish within 60 seconds.  

If anyone fucked up, it was Andrade for kicking out.  

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ref threw up an X for Garza who instantly rolled out of the ring and they went to the finish within 60 seconds.  

Dawkins looked just as confused. Its rather obvious the ref didn't tell either them to go home to the finish.

1 minute ago, Valcourt said:

Why did Roman ever wear the vest? Was his body "bad" at some point?

The only time his body was "bad" was when he returned at one point, maybe after his suspension, and he looked pretty hefty or chunky. Still, he looked in better shape than most people.

I think the vest was more so there to protect his hernia.

I've had my issues with WWE for a long time and just got around to ditching the Network.  But the Roman/Uso segments on Smackdown were so damn good that I had to find a way to watch this.  And holy crap did they deliver.  The story-focused theme of the match was just incredible and it helped that they were in an empty arena.  In a weird way it was almost like a cinematic match minus the extra crap you would normally see in that.  And while Kross/Dijak had a melodramatic ending with the towel this one was very realistic.  I didn't sense a potential Uso split so much as Jimmy was just saying whatever to get Roman to stop.  Which in itself proves Roman right that Jey will always need Jimmy to help him.  But man, everything about that was so damn good that I might just watch it again later.

• Like 4

At one point, Roman was wearing padding and a belt to protect his hernia, but I'm never been certain if that's still necessary since he had surgery (in 2014).

Meltzer and Alvarez have theorized that Vince didn't like his physique when he was called up - the Samoan man boobs thing - and insisted he wear a top.  That could be true.  Gynecomastia is more common among Samoans and Vince used to have some fairly unrealistic ideas about wrestlers should look like (though that seems like less than an issue now than it was a decade or so ago).  The Rock allegedly had "breast reduction surgery" in '99 and wore a shirt while wrestling, but I tend to think that had more to do with wanting to break into acting than anything Vince said to him.

Metlzer's brought it up at least a few time over the years, but I don't remember if he knows something or is just throwing out a guess.  All the Shield members wore tops and vests while doing the gimmick.  I'm guessing Roman just liked the look or they thought its what fans identified him with.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

One thing I really hope we get out of this is Roman/Bryan II. Its been so long since their first match, and I would love to see how they play it differently with the clear face/heel dynamic this time around.

I'm also wanting Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns II. Like to see Reigns and AJ Styles go at it again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ah, okay. I didn't see that.....

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Dawkins looked just as confused. Its rather obvious the ref didn't tell either them to go home to the finish.

^ But I did see this.

Still, ref shenanigans (whether intentional or Mickie James) are getting tiring.

Edited by The Green Meanie

4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

He's booking right, when's the last time he's been on tv?

IC title tournament final was his last match. So maybe some time around there. Not sure if he's done any segments subsequent to that. 

That aired June 12. But Cagematch has it as May 25, which is probably when it was filmed? I don't even know anymore.

Edited by Andy in Kansas

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

He's booking right, when's the last time he's been on tv?

A month or so ago when AJ was still champ. He was a talking head for Hardy/Styles. I assume he has been staying at home for a bit like Bray and Roman did when they had newborns this year. Roman actually took time off for that reason. Bray seemingly took a month or so off for the same reason after the first Braun match.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Ah, okay. I didn't see that.....

^ But I did see this.

Still, ref shenanigans (whether intentional or Mickie James) are getting tiring.

Mickie said that the ref thought she suffered a concussion in the Asuka match.  That apparently wasn't the case.  I also saw a news site claim he hear something pop and thought she dislocated her shoulder.  Mickie's probably the more reliable source here, but whatever the ref thought he saw or heard, he was wrong.

Garza apparently suffered a hip injury but sites are saying the company doesn't think it's serious.  But, yeah, they probably rushed to the finish due to the injury.

Also, Nia Jax tweeted the word "Lies" - apparently in relation to the WWE claiming she wasn't medically cleared to wrestle last night.  I haven't seen the tweet.  Just saw the story on Bleacher Report when I was reading about Garza's injury.

10 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Mickie said that the ref thought she suffered a concussion in the Asuka match.  That apparently wasn't the case.  I also saw a news site claim he hear something pop and thought she dislocated her shoulder.  Mickie's probably the more reliable source here, but whatever the ref thought he saw or heard, he was wrong.

I think the best recap of that I read was from Maffew from Botchamania:

"On last night’s episode of RAW, Asuka defended the RAW Women’s title in a match against Mickie James. The referee in the match ruled that James was unable to continue, however, as most viewers noted, the finish appeared to offer some confusion as to whether it involved a legit injury to James. Well, it turns out there was a reason for the awkward finish.

According to PWInsider, the planned finish for the match was for James to tap out to the Asuka Lock, but the match was stopped due to concern that James was injured based on how she was selling the move from Asuka.
However, in reality, James is not injured and simply did a fantastic job of selling the move. PWInsider notes that James did such a great job of selling that those in charge were fooled, which caused them relay instructions to the referee for the match to be stopped.
The site reports that, while not confirmed, Asuka is expected to defend the RAW Women’s title against Zelina Vega at Clash of Champions after Vega slapped Asuka."
SO WAIT THE REF THOUGHT MICKIE WAS INJURED BECAUSE SHE WAS SELLING SO WELL?
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
AGEING LIKE A FINE WINE"

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

WWE really was sabotaging Roman Reigns the entire time. Look. The fans hated Roman Reigns when he was a vanilla, white meat babyface right? So give them an actual reason to hate him. That's how it is in wrestling. Vince tried to turn Reigns into his new Hogan and it failed EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. And all I ever heard "he sells too much merchandise, he sells too much merchandise." Who gives a flying f***?!

Rusev sold merchandise too and they did jack crap with him. 

Not like they don't make merchandise for heels either. Geezus. 

I've had a theory about this for a while, but I believe they intentionally ground people who could reach megastar status because they don't want another Rock or John Cena. They've mentioned it a few times on tv, "no one is bigger than the WWE". I truly believe that'd some edict Vince came up with the moment The Rock had his first huge movie and realized he didn't need this anymore.

Part of the problem is Vince wants that new Hulk Hogan or in this case John Cena. Someone who is a white meat babyface to the core and would never abandon him. Plus, I don't think Vince will ever understand the concept that people want to root for the bad guy. But Hogan eventually left. Cena could in theory go somewhere else too if he wanted (though rumor has it he's getting cast in the GI Joe Reboot, plus he has The Suicide Squad coming up). Who knows what Roman could have done a few years ago if they even let him have a little depth to his character. But I'm convinced that the WWE will cut the wings out from anyone who even comes close to scratching that potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

Part of the problem is Vince wants that new Hulk Hogan or in this case John Cena. Someone who is a white meat babyface to the core and would never abandon him. Plus, I don't think Vince will ever understand the concept that people want to root for the bad guy. But Hogan eventually left. Cena could in theory go somewhere else too if he wanted (though rumor has it he's getting cast in the GI Joe Reboot, plus he has The Suicide Squad coming up). Who knows what Roman could have done a few years ago if they even let him have a little depth to his character. But I'm convinced that the WWE will cut the wings out from anyone who even comes close to scratching that potential.

The irony is that Roman might actually be Hollywood-bound at some point anyways, so mission not accomplished, Vince.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I've had a theory about this for a while, but I believe they intentionally ground people who could reach megastar status because they don't want another Rock or John Cena. They've mentioned it a few times on tv, "no one is bigger than the WWE". I truly believe that'd some edict Vince came up with the moment The Rock had his first huge movie and realized he didn't need this anymore.

Oh, I think it emanates more directly from the way Lesnar left in 04, but I agree with the premise in your first paragraph.

• Like 1